Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Is there any other place in Winnipeg to play an early round Voyageurs Cup game if they had to ?

Ralph Cantafio Soccer Complex where FC Manitoba plays would be the "best" option?  Only has seating for 2000, would have to be expanded.

The old stadium the Winnipeg Fury used many years ago is still there next to IG Field.

Edited by K Edgar

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Why?

When I went last year, that April game was cold!

And there was a Jets game at the same time.

I actually don't have an issue with July/August games.

I do have an issue with July/August afternoon games, which is when all of them tend to be scheduled. It may surprise you to learn that Winnipeg has the hottest summer weather of any CPL city and sitting in the seats at 1pm with the sun beating down on you can get uncomfortable. I can only imagine how unpleasant it was to be on the pitch.

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Ralph Cantafio Soccer Complex where FC Manitoba plays would be the "best" option?  Only has seating for 2000, would have to be expanded.

The old stadium the Winnipeg Fury used many years ago is still there next to IG Field.

Pan Am/University Stadium?  Maybe.  Really, and I mean really underwhelming venue though.  If you want to remind people WHY Valour play in an oversized park like IG Field, giving them a taste of Pan Am would be the right way of going about it.  Athletics venue, used to be a wonderful grass pitch though, a bit narrow (65 yard CFL) but not sure anymore. 

The Notre Dame campus at RRC has an excellent pitch but not enough bleachers and if Pan Am is underwhelming then I'm not sure how you'd choose to describe RRC.  Third World leaps to mind but I'm unsure if we're allowed to say that anymore.  

WCS/Cantafio has to be the best option.  Don't care much for the plastic there but....  Not sure you'd have to add bleachers to the east touchline, just sell general tickets and let people take up squaters rights if there's enough demand.  An "overflow" crowd standing along one side of the field can still be a positive optic.  I guess.

You know, could be a bit of chaotic fun, cup matches at WSC.  Just the way early round cup matches are supposed to be.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I got a kick out of some of the posters on the York page tamping down excitement.  Meanwhile us Valour fans can only wish we were signing those kinds of players!  I'd hate to see the gap widen and Valour fall farther behind.  

They just signed two players that earned caps for the CMNT. I can't even fathom that for Valour. 

It seems like the other 7 teams sign players from a completely different pool than we do.

We sign recycled crappy Canadians and foreigners with uninspiring cv's.

Edited by Soccerpro2

1 hour ago, Soccerpro2 said:

They just signed two players that earned caps for the CMNT. I can't even fathom that for Valour. 

It seems like the other 7 teams sign players from a completely different pool than we do.

It is odd that Valour is, apparently, so cheap. With soccer in Canada, continual lack of success in a market does not breed enthusiasm. Look at the recent relative disinterest in Toronto since TFC has been bad.

2 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Yes, you are heading into late FC Edmonton territory, at least on paper. The second club I am starting to be vaguely concerned about is Pacific, who aren't trending well in their off season moves either.

If the front offices of these clubs really start to go through the motions I worry about the effect on the league as a whole. Playing each other so regularly, it doesn't bode well for six "haves" and one or two clear "have-nots".

21 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Valour's continuing (year after year) rebuild is asking a lot of the limited scouting ability of the team.  Valour has retained only 8 players from their 2023 roster.  Replacing 15 players is a huge ask.  Their signings are bound to be hit and miss under these conditions.  Using York as another example they retained 14 players -- with "only" 9 players to replace they will have more time to focus on each new signing.  Agreed, Cordova and Sturing are very solid additions, but Salanovic and Leon are question marks.  For Valour Mourdoukoutas, Alarcon and Hundal are proven solid CanPL players.  While the quality of Faria, Swibel and Sukunda are to be determined.  Still 9(!) empty slots to fill -- the rebuild is a long way from complete.  Hoping Valour has a couple of solid additions to still be revealed!

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/17/winnipeg-blue-bombers-replacing-turf-at-ig-field/

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are replacing the turf at IG Field in time for the 2024 season.

The new surface, made by FieldTurf Vertex, will be FIFA Quality Pro certified upon completion. It will also feature CoolPlay TPE infill, which is said to reduce heat build-up in warm weather.

10 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Agreed, Cordova and Sturing are very solid additions

Sturing couldn't keep a regular job in the Dutch second tier, and played the last two in the Austrian second division. A better resume than most Valour players, maybe, but I hardly think it's guaranteed to be a successful signing.

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe thats why we cant bring in better players? Spent it all on the new lawn?  

... or the old turf was a deterrent for new players (increased chance of injury, poor "working conditions", etc.) and the new lawn will assist in the signing of better players?

7 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

... or the old turf was a deterrent for new players (increased chance of injury, poor "working conditions", etc.) and the new lawn will assist in the signing of better players?

I doubt that the fortunes of Valour FC were a big part of the decision to replace the 10-year old turf at IG Field, but I agree that the new lawn certainly can't hurt when it comes to signings.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Full schedule is out.

https://canpl.ca/schedule/2024/VAL

Starts with 7 away games, as expected with the turf announcement. Despite front loading the away schedule, only 5 home dates in July/August, which is good, in my opinion. Same number as last year. More importantly, 5 of the last 7 games are at home in the best soccer weather of the year.

7 of 14 games are on a Sunday.

Aside from the 7 away matches to kick off the season think the schedule is spread out pretty good.  Get a better idea once the Vs Cup fixtures flesh out the year, but a good starting point all things considered.

Hosting York on a Thursday with a 6:30 kickoff stands out a bit.

Only one week where we host league matches only 5 days apart.  Only one week where we play matches 4 days apart.

Hoping they can make it to the home opener in decent shape.  Hoping.  Bringing 3 point from 21 on the road isn't going to sell any tickets.