Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 12/5/2023 at 6:25 PM, SpursFlu said:

I would assume all these under 25 guys just go home to their parents house for a few months. At least half the guys on the team are likely under 25

My other thought like most corporate situations the housing is arranged on short term periods or duration of the season. Fully furnished etc etc

living accommodations are part of CPL deals I believe. I don't believe living in Winnipeg is an issue, the problem has been the club culture. As a start-up league some teams had an advantage against others because of their close connection to other programs (i.e., forge and sigma). Teams like Halifax and Pacific have upgraded their operations philosophy and what they offer to players to aid in their career progression. Valour's ownership has limited what the club can offer players and there are just better CPL options to quality players. Hence they have difficultly recruiting players. 

On 12/6/2023 at 11:20 AM, K Edgar said:

Valour FC has retained U SPORTS rights on both Guillaume Pianelli and Jordan Tisseur.

Several familiar Valour faces available in draft: ARTEMENKO, Svyatik; ATTARDO, Tyler; GARCIA, Raphaël; TOMY, Caden; LAPLANTE, Samuel (picked last year, did not make the team)

I noticed Thomas Pena's name on the list as well. local player who had a very good season at UBC and was with the Whitecaps U-19 and 21 program. I think he keeps improving and would be a good option to bring to camp if possible. 

22 hours ago, top cheese said:

I noticed Thomas Pena's name on the list as well. local player who had a very good season at UBC and was with the Whitecaps U-19 and 21 program. I think he keeps improving and would be a good option to bring to camp if possible. 

Any relation to Valour's previous local Pena?

Edited by jonovision

On 12/9/2023 at 12:25 PM, top cheese said:

5 goals, 3 assists in 20 games (13 starts), 2003 birth date so still U21.  Unlikely to be drafted, worth a camp invite if just to give a Wpg'er some valuable experience.

Valour have the first pick overall in tomorrow's USports draft
Hopefully they can find a CanPL level player from the >200 to choose from
Valour sent coach Fordyce to scout the USports championship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_U_Sports_Men's_Soccer_Championship) (won by Cape Breton) so they should have good insight.

There is a long list of holes to fill in the Valour lineup:
- goal scorers (obviously)
- defense (at least based upon those re-signed so far)
- U21 (1 re-signed - others 2 aged out and 1 released)
- left footed players

Possible Valour choices (imho) include:
Owen Sheppard (Cape Breton) regular season: 9 goals in 11 games; championship: 3 goals in 3 games - L1O with Guelph / HFX U23 program
Sebastian Dzikowski (UBC) regular season: 15 goals in 16 games; championship: 1 goal in 3 games - USports player of the year - L1BC with Varisty
Jose Da Cunha (Cape Breton) CB - drafted twice previously - 2 games with Atletico Ottawa / in Portugal with Estoril B/U19
Pablo Hempelmann-Perez (Queen's) regular season: 11 goals (and 6 assists) in 12 games; did not make championship - L1O with Nitro / in Netherlands with NAC Breda U21/U19

Also of interest during the draft are former Valour players:
Tyler Attardo (York Lions) regular season: 6 goals in 10 games; championship: 3 goals in 3 games (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpubpRBsoTc)
Raphael Garcia (Carleton) regular season: 2 goals (and 8 assists) in 13 games; championship: no goals in 2 games
Caden Tomy (Carleton) regular season: no goals in 9 games; championship: no goals in 2 games
Svyatik Artemenko (Thompson Rivers) GK
(would not be shocked to see any of them selected)

Another former Valour player, Yohan Le Bourhis, played for Montreal Carabins and scored during the championship but did not enter the draft

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Is he a central or wide defender?

CB, right footed, played in the CPL in 2020 with Ottawa... wikipedia says:

Gianfranco Facchineri
Personal information
Date of birth April 27, 2002 (age 21)
Place of birth Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Height 1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)
Position(s) Centre-back
Team information
Current team
Windsor City FC
Youth career
  Windsor Ciociaro SC
  Windsor FC Nationals
  Vardar SC
  Toronto FC
2018–2020 Vancouver Whitecaps FC
2022 Tecumseh SC
College career
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2022– Windsor Lancers 21 (7)
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2020–2022 Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 (0)
2020  Atlético Ottawa (loan) 5 (0)
2021  San Diego Loyal (loan) 6 (0)
2023– Windsor City FC 15 (2)
International career
2019 Canada U17 7 (0)

Owen's a CM but has played as a CF at CBU. He was outstanding at U-sport Nationals. Two of his goals were excellent finishes. He played last summer with the Foothills U23 team. At the last club nationals I was at I felt he was one of the best players in the tournament. He was also playing Challenge Cup at 15 in NL. He's developed at CBU. I think he should make the Valor team but I guess that depends on whether or not the club changes their philosophy around players on development contracts. 

8 hours ago, top cheese said:

I think he should make the Valor team but I guess that depends on whether or not the club changes their philosophy around players on development contracts. 

Are you talking USports development contracts?

Valour has made use of USports contracts for 3 years in a row: Pianelli (2023), Tissuer (2023), Carlos (2022), Mikhael (2021).  No need for a change there.  I believe I heard there is limit of 3 USports Dev contracts per team -- Valour may hit that limit this year (Pianelli, Sheppard, Facchineri - Tissuer USports rights retained as well but I don't see a roster spot for him at this time)