Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Northern Tribune's take...

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-valour-fc-roster-update-2023/

"Left-back Jordan Haynes will also be returning to IG Field next year, having looked like a good pickup when he finally got to play after a prolonged spell on the sidelines." -- don't think they were watching the same games as the rest of us.

Priority on the re-signing side should be Gutierrez and de Brienne.  Then sign Gutierrez's twin brother and let Haynes rot on the bench.  Oh, right and completely replace the offence. :(

I think they can bring Guti back, he legit seems to like it here.

I think de Brienne is gone.

2 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

If he’s our #1 option at striker, it’s not good enough to compete.

if he starts sometimes and comes off the bench sometimes then the signing is ok.

I wonder how much Valour have to overpay to attract domestic players.

I would think that Valour hopes Hundal will be their #1 option up front.  His scoring record at Inter Miami II and the first half of his season at Vancouver shows it is a possibility.  Obviously Hundal alone is not the entire solution to all of Valour's offensive issues.  They will likely use the USports draft to pick the most promising striker(s) available and with luck that could work out with a good off the bench forward, then we will wait to see who else they sign.  I would call this a good start.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

... Tyler Attardo scored 6 goals as a 17 year old (ducks)

He deserves an invite to training camp.  Let PDS see what he can do.

21 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Available from CF Montreal

https://www.cfmontreal.com/nouvelles/le-cf-montreal-exerce-les-options-de-quatre-joueurs-pour-la-saison-2024

• James Pantemis
  • Zachary Brault-Guillard
  • Sean Rea
  • Jean-Aniel Assi

Sean Rea released by CF Montreal.  Hope he lands at a higher level than the CanPL, but at the same time hoping he returns to Valour.

Eikon's Sukunda 2023 Highlight Tape

(Yes, another Eikon player, Valour's favourite player agency -- de Brienne, Baquero, Ohin, Selemani, Akio, Dyer).

Looks like he could have had a couple more assist - so he is used to Valour FC like finishing.

Crowds in the Finnish 2nd division look rather sparse.

one of the most versatile players youll ever see...plenty of experience all over the midfield as well as lb rb and wings...which is really helpful in a 23-25 player squad...where fans might get frustrated might be the offensive output...first two new signings for valour hundal and sukunda look solid

On 12/1/2023 at 8:53 PM, K Edgar said:

Any Halifax fans have an opinion on this signing?

He was the inaugural signing for Halifax. Announced around the same time as Bekker for Forge. He didn't really stand out or impress in 2019 and didn't make it back from 2020. Never really found a starting spot in the squad. 

I really wanted him to succeed because of his prominence in our history. I hope he does better at Valour.

Cant be any worse than the guys we have been bringing in.  I know Cheese doesnt like him, but he scored as a 17 year old.  If WPG is a SH#tHOLE which means we cant recruit anyone to come, our management if all F$cked up blah blah, all these excuses......well why not throw the roster spot an minimum $$ at Attardo?  Still only 22, did pretty well with York U.  

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Bit of a google research of real estate in Winnipeg one would assume the sales pitch must be centered around cost of living 

Cost of living is cheap in Winnipeg, but it's still a second residence for most of these guys. And the rental costs are closer to elsewhere in the country than home prices.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Bit of a google research of real estate in Winnipeg one would assume the sales pitch must be centered around cost of living 

No one is buying a house on a CPL salary in any city in Canada. I assume the guys only live here during the season on short term leases the club helps them with a bit.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Cost of living is cheap in Winnipeg, but it's still a second residence for most of these guys. And the rental costs are closer to elsewhere in the country than home prices.

I would assume all these under 25 guys just go home to their parents house for a few months. At least half the guys on the team are likely under 25

My other thought like most corporate situations the housing is arranged on short term periods or duration of the season. Fully furnished etc etc

Edited by SpursFlu