Match Thread: Gold Cup - Group Stage: Canada vs Guadeloupe - Tuesday, June 27, 2023 - 7 pm ET/4 pm PT

narduch

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I’d like to see this, though I’d swap Zator for McGraw. I’d also start McGill, but no chance they do that. 

AGR is pretty close to my prediction. Just zator for bombito (which I expect to happen....) and spoony for ahmed (This would give us better balance in midfield). 

I have a hard time seeing mcgraw playing RCB. I think hes more of a Central CB. Anyone else think this?

6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah even so I still think it won't be that bad because other games they have been on rain delay for the Gold Cup but here in Toronto I just can't see them doing that unless it is heavy rain tonight 

Or extended lightening. There was a Voyageurs Cup game and a Champions League game that were cancelled after kickoff about a decade or so ago, during a massive electrical storm that also flooded the pitch.

I better clear my schedule for 10 AM tomorrow! :)

2 hours ago, theaub said:

BMO has top level drainage so I can't see it being an issue.

The two cancelled games were after the drainage and grass were put in. It can handle most rain, but 40 mm or so would be too much. Or at least delay the game late enough that they'd not want to play in the wee hours of the morning. Though with a 7 pm start, they have more time to wait it out.

15 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

AGR is pretty close to my prediction. Just zator for bombito (which I expect to happen....) and spoony for ahmed (This would give us better balance in midfield). 

I have a hard time seeing mcgraw playing RCB. I think hes more of a Central CB. Anyone else think this?

Def think he is auditioning for the Vitoria role. Not sure how mobile he is to play RCB. 

29 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I’d like to see this, though I’d swap Zator for McGraw. I’d also start McGill, but no chance they do that. 

Good starting lineup from AGR. Would be happy to see that. The pre-game comments about Ahmed make it sound like he could start. 

16 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I don't think (hope) that we give Bombito a start in his first game ever for us. I realize that would be the case for McGraw and Zator too, but considering club experience, I hope it's ZMG or Zator. Agreed on Ahmed too- I rate him over Spoony but it would be the smallest surprise in the world if Herdman goes with Wotherspoon to start.

1 hour ago, gator said:

It is pissing down rain here in The Hammer and it looks like more of the same at BMO, it hasn't dampened my excitement of going to see our boys play and watching some new players as well as others having an increased role! I am meeting up with @Club Linesman and @Wayverider for snacks, drinks and discussion pre match so regardless of the weather this will be a good night!🍻

Considered not making the two hour trek up to BMO with the weather uncertainty, but your comment lifted my spirits. Rain or shine is right.

9 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Considered not making the two hour trek up to BMO with the weather uncertainty, but your comment lifted my spirits. Rain or shine is right.

Doesn't look too bad looking at the radar. Worst comes to worse, it won't be full, and shift up to the higher portions of the east stand where it's always dry, and will be empty.

36 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don't think (hope) that we give Bombito a start in his first game ever for us. I realize that would be the case for McGraw and Zator too, but considering club experience, I hope it's ZMG or Zator. Agreed on Ahmed too- I rate him over Spoony but it would be the smallest surprise in the world if Herdman goes with Wotherspoon to start.

Good points. My logic is that Herdman has consistently not played Zator in situations that suited his style. I just dont think herdman views him as a realistic long term option. ZMG and bombito have a chance to contribute. I dont think ZMG is mobile enough for RCB so that leaves bombito. Is the lack of experience of bombito the reason you hope he doesnt start or do you see more upside in zator/ ZMG?

I keep flip flopping but I am currently thinking ahmed starts.... no idea though. 

4 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Good points. My logic is that Herdman has consistently not played Zator in situations that suited his style. I just dont think herdman views him as a realistic long term option. ZMG and bombito have a chance to contribute. I dont think ZMG is mobile enough for RCB so that leaves bombito. Is the lack of experience of bombito the reason you hope he doesnt start or do you see more upside in zator/ ZMG?

I keep flip flopping but I am currently thinking ahmed starts.... no idea though. 

Just lack of experience. We haven’t seen much of Bombito yet and it’s not like he’s lighting MLS on fire like Kone sorts was when he got his first call. That said, it is against Guadeloupe, so if you want to toss a man to the fire, tonight’s the night for it; I guess I have a similar rationale for wanting McGill out there tonight. 

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If you're in the camp of "Canada should host the Gold Cup", struggling to sell tickets to the game we are hosting and involving Canada isn't going to help your case.

I kind of agree. I was hoping this game would sell really well to help the argument. But on the other hand, it might be easier to promote if the entire Gold Cup is hosted in Canada, rather than 1 game. And besides, USA get's unlimited turns despite them sometimes having less than spectacular turn out. Like the USA's group last Gold Cup. The Canada vs Guadeloupe game would be comparable to USA vs Martinique listed below. But yes, for sure if the Gold Cup is hosted anywhere outside the USA it will result in lower attendance in the tournament overall. But it might also help grow the tournament's relevance in the long run.

image.png.28bbf7776f916a7a340507df1c591a21.png

30 minutes ago, Kent said:

I kind of agree. I was hoping this game would sell really well to help the argument. But on the other hand, it might be easier to promote if the entire Gold Cup is hosted in Canada, rather than 1 game. And besides, USA get's unlimited turns despite them sometimes having less than spectacular turn out. Like the USA's group last Gold Cup. The Canada vs Guadeloupe game would be comparable to USA vs Martinique listed below. But yes, for sure if the Gold Cup is hosted anywhere outside the USA it will result in lower attendance in the tournament overall. But it might also help grow the tournament's relevance in the long run.

image.png.28bbf7776f916a7a340507df1c591a21.png

I think the best you can hope for is a "joint" tournament, where the bulk is in the US but a group is somewhere else, like Canada or Central America. But this really isn't helping Canada's case that we deserve more.

I know I’ve brought it up before but I’m not sure it means anything.  Canada Soccer’s post today about the game has a picture of Cavallini.  Yesterday’s post had Hoilett on it.

We’ll find out soon enough if this theory is true or not.  It wouldn’t be too hard to go back and check previous game day posts and whether the players on them started or not.

edit: Osorio was posted the day before the Panama semi finals and did not start the game so that disproves the theory.

Edited by Corazon

Am I the only one who thinks making Toronto a host, scheduling just one game, making it the one we did not know who the rival was, then having us fly far too distant for casual away support, is totally assinine?

All the CSA has to do is say, no, we want to two matches minimum in the group. Easy. And the third game in, say, Columbus.

O lo que decía, ¿qué coño pasa con esta gente?