Match Thread: Gold Cup - Group Stage: Canada vs Guadeloupe - Tuesday, June 27, 2023 - 7 pm ET/4 pm PT

narduch

2 hours ago, maplebanana said:

I remember about 10-12 years ago we had this exact conversation, and there was some doubt as to whether or not a GC game against FG/Martinique/Guadeloupe counted as cap tying since they are non-FIFA associations (i.e. if it's not a recognized team, was there ever really a game?). I don't know if there was ever a conclusion or counter-example.

I brought this up again a few years later with one of my first posts and was quickly told I was an idiot. So maybe someone knows the rules more than I do (a definite possibility).

You might be thinking about Davies playing against French Guiana in the 2017 Gold Cup. From Wikipedia:

"Davies would debut for the senior team in the friendly against Curaçao at the age of 16, making him the youngest player to play for the national team.[95] On June 27, Davies was named to the final 23-man squad for the 2017 Gold Cup.[96] In Canada's first match of that tournament, Davies scored twice in a 4–2 victory over French Guiana."

Don't think it was ever established if he was cap-tied to Canada in that first competitive match against non-FIFA member French Guiana or not until the second match against Costa Rica.

55 minutes ago, sose said:

security was also moving people in 113 and 114 for being in the wrong seats.. this is the first time i've seen that in a loooong time in those sections.

They've com a long way from back in the early 2000's at Swangard where security would allow Guatemalan supporters to occupy seats in the Canadian supporters section (yes we had to have our own small section for a home game). Then when a Canadian supporter stood in front of them to chant some songs and chirp them off (Alberta Beef) security had the Canadian supporter handcuffed and thrown in the back of a RCMP vehicle. :)

24 minutes ago, Stanley said:

They've com a long way from back in the early 2000's at Swangard where security would allow Guatemalan supporters to occupy seats in the Canadian supporters section (yes we had to have our own small section for a home game). Then when a Canadian supporter stood in front of them to chant some songs and chirp them off (Alberta Beef) security had the Canadian supporter handcuffed and thrown in the back of a RCMP vehicle. :)

Remember it well. Was it Calgary Boomer?

Just now, nolando said:

Remember it well. Was it Calgary Boomer?

You must remember it well.  You were in that photo with Constable Knight in your face!  No it was the late Alberta Beef aka Dave Beecher that got cuffed and thrown in the cop car, for merely chanting a few tunes to the invaders...in our own section.

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You must remember it well.  You were in that photo with Constable Knight in your face!  No it was the late Alberta Beef aka Dave Beecher that got cuffed and thrown in the cop car, for merely chanting a few tunes to the invaders...in our own section.

Was he the guy that got drenched by some kid tossing a full beer?

35 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I was thinking to add this story to my post “How far are we from a soccer nation?”.

But I feel too embarrassed to do that. 

3 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

You might be thinking about Davies playing against French Guiana in the 2017 Gold Cup. From Wikipedia:

"Davies would debut for the senior team in the friendly against Curaçao at the age of 16, making him the youngest player to play for the national team.[95] On June 27, Davies was named to the final 23-man squad for the 2017 Gold Cup.[96] In Canada's first match of that tournament, Davies scored twice in a 4–2 victory over French Guiana."

Don't think it was ever established if he was cap-tied to Canada in that first competitive match against non-FIFA member French Guiana or not until the second match against Costa Rica.

I had to look it up. It was further back. Borjan's first non-friendly was against Guadeloupe in the 2011 Gold Cup, and I remember being nervous because of recently being burned by the Bosnian GK. It was rendered moot though a couple days later when he played Panama.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Ha. I was there too. Bloody Carlos Ruiz. Dirty cheat. Most annoying away fans ever. What a disappointment that game was on so many levels. 

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Somewhere, someone, somehow must have photographic evidence.

13 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Canada 🇨🇦 we get to play on Canada Day but we're playing Guatemala but just a shame we don't get to play this game at BMO Field but instead we get to play at PNC Stadium 

If we don't see more than 15k - 20k at PNC Stadium I wonder what the reasoning for not having it at BMO or another Canadian stadium is.

50 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

If we don't see more than 15k - 20k at PNC Stadium I wonder what the reasoning for not having it at BMO or another Canadian stadium is.

Montreal and Toronto play at home that same night.  BC Place may have been available but it's possible the long travel may have made it prohibitive? Also a lack of a grass field?

Edited by Metro