Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

41 minutes ago, costarg said:

It's not about what i believe, the stats show we have better results in a back 4 with Johnston at RB.  The back 3 clearly wasn't working as well.  Stats and eye test show that.

Not putting words in your mouth, you said:

1. lowest goals against

2. winning WCQ for the first time 

3. one of the lowest rated teams in the hex and we still came out top

4. AJ was our mr reliable with him logging significant minutes during qualifiers. Therefore he was a major major contributor for the best defence in concacaf. 

Most of those stats are thanks to the back 4, which is has been my point all along.

1. Hondourous away 1-1 3atb

2. Usa away 1-1 3atb

3. Elsalvador home 3-0 3atb

4. mexico away 1-1 4atb

5. Jamaica away 0-0 4 atb

6. Panama home 4-1 3atb

7. Costa rica home 1-0 4 atb

8. Mexico home 2-1 3 atb

9. hondourous home 2-0 3 atb

10. Usa home 2-0 3atb

11. el salvador away 2-0 4 atb 

12. costa rica away 1-0 LOSS 4 atb 

13. Jamaica home 4-0 4 atb

14. panama away 1-0 3 atb 

3 atb 6-2-0

4 atb 3-2-1  

Im not quite sure which stats during WCQ you are referring to. The stats prove that 3atb was fantastic. 

We all know that the gold cup stats are not relevant. We all know the CMNT regressed post WCQ. 

However, to keep this on topic, we are referring to the 3atb "nail biting" comment during WCQ. 

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I'm West Ham and a lot of my last 15 or so years have been under Big Sam and David Moyes, of course I love a big physical centre back. I also love the option ball-playing centre backs bring.

Nunez already did that, but your big middle centre back is supposed to help out in sitiuations like that unlike Vitoria who was marking space in our friendly. 

I just watched Miller get done for pace too many times. ie.as in just, in the highlights I watched. 

Cornelius maybe not quite as good on the ball but you add some height and pace if that is important to you.  LDF main assest at his level is his passing and comfort on the ball.   If we can make Cornelius, Bombito and him work by the World Cup, that would be my dream/hope.

If we are going move an established wing player in, it would be Laryea for me. 

(It will be great if we get to face Nunez, by the way, it means something has gone right.)  

I did realize that as I wrote it- if Alistair Johnston gets burned on a Nunez header at Copa, I'll probably take whatever scenario that resulted in us ending up there gladly.

I do wonder what our plan is for AJ if/when our other CBs develop the way we expect them to. A combo of Bombito, LDF, Cornelius, Miller- not to mention any of the serviceable B-options we have hovering around our squad should do a fine job at holding down our back line for the better part of the next decade- I just think there are better CB options than him. But as you said, he's one of our best players and I think he has the perfect mindset of a player you want heavily involved in the national team set up, could very well be a future captain, I don't want him to be a bench player either. But starting a more defensive RB means one less wingback, which is realistically our deepest positions. Tough puzzle.

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

14 games is a lot to judge a team on, especially an international one.  Of course those games are a good standard - to begin, not end with.   The key players are almost all the same and most are moving into their prime.  It feels like people want to burn it to ground because we have struggled since.  In some ways we need to look back and see what worked while replacing players and looking new ideas.  Takes a good, big manager to be willing to see the good of the past though. 

I don't think anyone is calling for "burn it to ground", certainly not me. WCQ was over 2 yrs ago and there has been change within Concacaf and within our squad. What worked during WCQ will not necessarily work now. Mentality for one was sky high. It's an intangible and situational with that group and  don't  think we can reproduce it again. There's a change in the the squad eventhough the top end talent is still there. Players like Borjan,Vitoria,Hutch, Jnr, Henry played key roles in some if not all of those games. Many of the teams in the Hex are  now arguably stronger than during that WCQ home & away round. Finally, yes we have not played well since the Belgium game, so change in tactics, formation, players & coaches should all be on the table.

22 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I did realize that as I wrote it- if Alistair Johnston gets burned on a Nunez header at Copa, I'll probably take whatever scenario that resulted in us ending up there gladly.

I see I am not the only one who has fantasized about Canada playing Uruguay in the 3rd place game. 

Unfortunately, Nunez burning Johnston again on a header probably has to be part of the fantasy, but I will take it god dammit. 

GK

Crepeau / Borjan/ ST Clair

DF Johnston McNaughton Miller Kennedy Zator(Vitoria) Waterman Layrea

MF Piette Fraser Eustaquio Koné Shaffelburg Davies Colyn

ST David Larin Curbeanu Bair Buchanan Millar 

Canada has two players who are irreplaceable,   DAVID AND EUSTAQUIO. You don't have those similar characteristics in the squad that they bring is different from what you have.  Maybe Colyn could evolve into David and Koné or Choiniere into Eustaquio.

Not even Davies ,Buchanan nor Larin , are  very important but replaceable. 

16 hours ago, Bigandy said:

1. Hondourous away 1-1 3atb

2. Usa away 1-1 3atb

3. Elsalvador home 3-0 3atb

4. mexico away 1-1 4atb

5. Jamaica away 0-0 4 atb

6. Panama home 4-1 3atb

7. Costa rica home 1-0 4 atb

8. Mexico home 2-1 3 atb

9. hondourous home 2-0 3 atb

10. Usa home 2-0 3atb

11. el salvador away 2-0 4 atb 

12. costa rica away 1-0 LOSS 4 atb 

13. Jamaica home 4-0 4 atb

14. panama away 1-0 3 atb 

3 atb 6-2-0

4 atb 3-2-1  

Im not quite sure which stats during WCQ you are referring to. The stats prove that 3atb was fantastic. 

We all know that the gold cup stats are not relevant. We all know the CMNT regressed post WCQ. 

However, to keep this on topic, we are referring to the 3atb "nail biting" comment during WCQ. 

I’m with you, I think Johnston was actually awesome during WCQ. He was an absolute rock back there. He has not been as good since WCQ, and I’m fine with moving him out of RCB now, but it’s wild to say he wasn’t good at RCB during WCQ. It seems so long ago, and people seem to forget, but we were all singing his praises. And to be honest, that’s true of the whole back line. They were great during WCQ, but have been exposed since. So yes, we clearly need new solutions, but we shouldn’t take away from what they did.

Some interesting facts and tidbits I learned:

• Argentina
    • Since the World Cup, Argentina has conceeded just 3 goals (in the past 12 games).
    • Argentina has only conceeded 2 or more goals just 5 times since 2020.
    • Players to watch: Everybody.
  • Chile
    • Chile has advanced from the group stage in 7 straight Copa Americas.
    • Marcelino Núñez (Norwich City), Dario Osorio (Midtjylland), and Brereton Díaz (Sheffield United) are players to watch for Chile.
    • Alexi Sanchez doesn't have a goal involvement in 9 games, but in the last 13 games he's been on the scoresheet, Chile have 9 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses. 
    • Things have generally improved under new manager, Ricardo Gareca.
  • Peru
    • Players to watch are Piero Quispe (Pumas), Luis Advíncula (Boca Juniors) and Joao Grimaldo (Sporting Cristal)
    • Peru haven't been eliminated from the group stage since 1995
    • Peru have won two straight, beating Dominican Republic and Nicaruagua last window, but prior to that hadn't won in over a year (Jan 2023 against South Korea).   

For the Canadian section, click here.

A couple of things I will say about their Canada anlysis:

• They don't seem to recognize that Borjan is already phased out.
  • They seem to believe the problems at our FA are hampering us, when in reality we've lined up prep against the Netherlands and (soon to be announced) France.
  • And most surprisingly, they seem under the impression we have division in our dressing room, which strikes me as being overblown at best and fabricated at worst.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

For the Canadian section, click here.

• They seem to believe the problems at our FA are hampering us, when in reality we've lined up prep against the Netherlands and (soon to be announced) France.
  • And most surprisingly, they seem under the impression we have division in our dressing room, which strikes me as being overblown at best and fabricated at worst.

Thank you for convincing me to not watch the Canada section of their video. 😉

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Maybe they just read Canadian mainstream news outlets 😛?

9 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

One of their words to describe our chances is "cooked".

This is true. Now there were positives, such as Jonathan David, who they agree is the best 9 in Concacaf. They also say Canada legitimately has one of the best attacks in the tournament, ahead of both Chile and Peru. I found it interesting they believe our attack is better than Ecuador as well, who we could theoretically face in the knockouts if we get out of the group. 

19 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Maybe they just read Canadian mainstream news outlets 😛?

Probably lol.

But I think they come at it in good faith, I just think they are not current on Canada, which is understandable given they aren't Canada fans like us. Good knowledge of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, which I appreciate and why I posted. I'd like to think they just see us at the surface level while being more current on South American teams. It's still worth the watch though, to see how outsiders view us. 

10 minutes ago, RS said:

The shoe still fits.

What's your gripe with these two? Just not a fan of this style of content? For as long as I have followed this channel the opinions seem to be fair and I find the channel informative, but I will take any criticisms you have of it with an open mind. 

With Deadball TV I haven't noticed the same level of "troll factor" as you find with Tactical Manager, who calls us the "Rude Canadians" and the Jamaica the "Fake News Jamaicans", even though he repeatedly says he loves Jamaicans. 

I see how that gets under people's skin, even though I just view it as fun banter and don't take it too seriously.  

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What's your gripe with these two? Just not a fan of this style of content? For as long as I have followed this channel the opinions seem to be fair and I find the channel informative, but I will take any criticisms you have of it with an open mind. 

With Deadball TV I haven't noticed the same level of "troll factor" as you find with Tactical Manager, who calls us the "Rude Canadians" and the Jamaica the "Fake News Jamaicans", even though he repeatedly says he loves Jamaicans. 

I see how that gets under people's skin, even though I just view it as fun banter and don't take it too seriously.  

I have no gripe with these two.

I was simply agreeing that Tactical Manager sucks.

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

One of their words to describe our chances is "cooked".

I'm not sure how many people will be able to view it without a VPN (it appears to be geoblocked on my home computer, but not through my US-vpn'd work laptop), but the CBS sports soccer podcast on youtube is slightly more optimistic. Jesse Marsch has us going through to the next round and ranks us #7 in the power rankings, although we are at #9 overall. Jimmy Conrad & Charlie Davies don't have us going through, and the latter thinks we are ranked too high in the power rankings. I agree with the power rankings criticism, but so much could change if a coach is hired in May ahead of the June friendly (and hopefully friendlies).

12 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'm not sure how many people will be able to view it without a VPN (it appears to be geoblocked on my home computer, but not through my US-vpn'd work laptop), but the CBS sports soccer podcast on youtube is slightly more optimistic. Jesse Marsch has us going through to the next round and ranks us #7 in the power rankings, although we are at #9 overall. Jimmy Conrad & Charlie Davies don't have us going through, and the latter thinks we are ranked too high in the power rankings. I agree with the power rankings criticism, but so much could change if a coach is hired in May ahead of the June friendly (and hopefully friendlies).

I have watched enough of Charlie Davies to not be surprised. He always seems to be negative on Canada relative to Jimmy and Heath (not sure if he's still podcasting with them). He's talked about Canada teams he's faced in the past (as a player) and on one occassion he said (thinking back to his playing days) "These guys have nothing". 

I was watching the World Cup opening game of Italia 90  Argentina v Cameroon  on FIFA+ late last night  . First of all what a rough game it was , at the same time it was not boring either. As we know Cameroon pulled off the massive upset  at the the time the biggest upset in World Cup history . I was trying to draw comparisions between that team and what Canada is going through now. There confedration much like ours is was in shambles and ther team much like ours was trying to find its identity and had some okay results  prior to the tournament starting . I guess I am dreaming but 34  later I would love to see us come up with a massive result  against Argentina . Oh well a guy can dream I guess