Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

In all fairness there's probably lots of moving parts and I doubt they want people's first impression of their grounds to be a construction site 

I think that makes sense. Playing around town ensures they're not just a local thing, they slowly get their name out. So UBC, Richmond, circle in. They have three months until the home opener.

If you think about it, Caps accepting them playing WFC2 ends up being a favour to VFC, because the Caps write and tweet about them.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Nobody from Richmond or UBC will care about Vancouver fc. We don't want that bridge and tunnel crowd at our games anyways

Well, VFC does. Whether that's a realistic expectation, though, remains to be seen. They should be marketing the heck out at Surrey United, Langley United, Surrey FC, Ridge Meadows FC matches and team events, though. Shirt giveaways, player appearances, autograph sessions. Get the kids in the immediate area excited. Get families to buy tickets in sets of 2 or 4 or 6. Promos, etc.

If nothing else, the Vancouver FC roster will be fun to watch. A relatively young roster with quite a few unknowns. I think they need another central defender or two, and maybe a solid midfielder to complete the side.

One of Joe Di Chiara, Chris Manella, LBG, David Norman might make sense in the midfield... but I've been holding out hope that they sign Alex Zis who has been with Tigers FC in Van recently. Good centreback depth... may be a harder position to fill.

4 more spots to fill?

Still short a quality CB, another quality CM and probably an experienced striker (Novak?). They need a backup RB too. 

One of the above at least should be an u21 to help with mins, think there are 3 on the roster right now. 

5 wingers though!

27 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Gyimah couldnt get on the field in english d6 but doesnt mean much with cpl being around d7

Petrasso played well scoring for Barnet, d5 think it was.

Looks like a weak team, perhaps they want to see these hungry guys compete hard with each other. They've surely kept the salary structure down. Maybe reserving cap for later on if they need it.  A lot less ex CPL players than I'd have imagined. Then you get a sense they'd like to sell a few. 

As is, surprise me, but this team comes last.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Gyimah couldnt get on the field in english d6 but doesnt mean much with cpl being around d7

Not sure how much football you’ve seen in the 6th tier of England but I use to go about 5 times a year when I moved here 10 years ago and there were players I thought would be good for TFC. It’s definitely not a league to turn your nose up at. With most clubs in the 5th tier being fully professional, gaps between “non-league” and “league” football are minuscule. 

11 hours ago, Big_M said:

thats exactly what im saying...him not seeing the field in d6 doesnt mean he'll been unsuccesful in cpl...bassett the mvp was in d7

I got grief last year on another subforum for suggesting CanPL was comparable in quality to D5 in an English context. Wonder if that guy will have a similar hissy fit over this. My guess would be these are players recommended through an agency Moneyball style in the manner described previously and they are hoping that Nicky Gyimah will put the pieces together on whatever led Sunderland to have him on their U-23 team.

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/sport/21103634.hackneys-nicky-gyimah-signs-sunderland/

Is there really nobody Canadian available who is comparable in quality in the VMSL or FVSL though?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I got grief last year on another subforum for suggesting CanPL was comparable in quality to D5 in an English context. Wonder if that guy will have a similar hissy fit over this. My guess would be these are players recommended through an agency Moneyball style in the manner described previously and they are hoping that Nicky Gyimah will put the pieces together on whatever led Sunderland to have him on their U-23 team.

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/sport/21103634.hackneys-nicky-gyimah-signs-sunderland/

Is there really nobody Canadian available who is comparable in quality in the VMSL or FVSL though?

You get grief on here because of your ridonculous takes and your love of everything USSF related. Stop your whining. 

19 hours ago, toontownman said:

Never underestimate Valours potential.

Barring any huge gamechanger signings from any of the three teams I think VFC, Valour and Halifax will be a little cut off from the other 5 come season end. It's a funny game though.

Funny you mentioned Halifax, I am actually quite optimistic on how they may do this season, a bright new head coach and some interesting signings. May be behind the top 3 (Forge, Cavalry, Ottawa) but would put them more on par with York or Pacific.

50 minutes ago, StillOnFire said:

Funny you mentioned Halifax, I am actually quite optimistic on how they may do this season, a bright new head coach and some interesting signings. May be behind the top 3 (Forge, Cavalry, Ottawa) but would put them more on par with York or Pacific.

Definitely agree. If it comes together and gels HFX have some amazing potential with a progressive front foot coach. It is a big ask. I was super high on HFX being a dark horse a few weeks ago. Other teams including VFC and Ottawa have significantly added big pieces since then which dragged my thoughts down a touch. There is a lack of real experience/star factor but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. While they have a hungry fanbase I think outside of Halifax the opinion I have seen is they have the lowest expectation with the biggest potential upside. The league in general looks like it is taking a step up in terms of talent again. 

1 hour ago, StillOnFire said:

People seem to forget that Pacific were leading the league until we sold our striker. Now that we’ve finally replaced him we might be a threat again 

17 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

People seem to forget that Pacific were leading the league until we sold our striker. Now that we’ve finally replaced him we might be a threat again 

Fair point, PFC have made some nice signings... Ongaro, Reid, Villet (I thought he was solid at Cav last season). Turnover is always quite high as best players get poached. Could easily be up there, but put them with Halifax and York battling for a play off spot as I just don't know how things will gell for them, but this season should prove competitive in general.