Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

34 minutes ago, nolando said:

God help us if they feel like they've already overspent.  Haha.

Ha, I don't track the CPL salaries that much. I figured with a veteran keeper and the Mexican player they've at least spent *something*.  But yeah, this ownership groups was also one the ones fighting hard for a lower salary cap in year 1.

5 hours ago, nolando said:

I'm underwhelmed, if that's a word.

Definitely. 

A lot of modest club teams hold back at the start of the year and wait until later to try to sort things out if they have to. I figure it is the same here, because I too figure they are at the lower end of the cap or maybe even haven't reached it yet.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Thought Rob Friend was very much against imports in year one with Pacific?

Blake Smith, Staro, Gonzalez, Blasco were all extremely important pieces of the team in year one. I imagine coaches probably have a say in roster building as well

Always a big fan of Camilo and was gutted he left Vancouver, not least as he was getting close to being able to suit up for Canada. Maybe they can work something out to release him early from his contract. Waiting to June/July would be a shame but also worth the wait. 

For the Cap hit (no pun intended) they would probably be better getting a high quality CM in first. 

2 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Would be the leagues biggest signing so far 

Heard on the weekend he was interested in coming back to Vancouver...but his agent had reached out to the Whitecaps, not Vancouver FC. Whitecaps weren't interested though. Possibly looking at VFC as plan B.

Edited by Watchmen

5 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Heard on the weekend he was interested in coming back to Vancouver...but his agent had reached out to the Whitecaps, not Vancouver FC. Whitecaps weren't interested though. Possibly looking at VFC as plan B.

Must really want too live in Vancouver. Can't blame him. Beautiful city. 

Easily the league's the best forward if he's signs 

He's still scoring at a goal a game and a few minutes, every 110 or so, acc to Transfermarkt. At Toluca, so the level is there. 

Age 34, maybe he wants to have a last shot in Vancouver before thinking about retirement. Problem is that you'd really want to pay a guy like that 100k, which is not a lot, it is almost a token of what he may be worth. But you probably can't. Maybe you could pay 75-80 and a few perks, but still. 

The advantage VFC has, from what it seems at least, is that they have not spent a lot of cap so far. Then Camilo becomes an immediate draw for fans, you get 500 more a game because he's there and pay of the cost in a few games. 

Then you also accentuate the rivalry with the Whitecaps, you rehash the whole story and revive the tension that was there (all they had to do was pay him what he was worth, but they were cheap, they needed to offer him a voluntary raise and a longer contract, and not be so arrogant).

Wow that would be something. I don't blame him for wanting to leave Vancouver but he'll love living in the Fraser Valley. Room for the Familia, little BBQ in the backyard. Would be lovely.. oh and that's a thing. I use to live dt in a tower where the players live and have a buddy who still does. Players who have a family hate living dt. Probably cool for the young guys