Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

On 2/2/2023 at 1:50 AM, nolando said:

I wonder if North Van's recent UBC All-Star (and former FCE) z midfielder Thomas Gardner will pop up at VFC?

Yes. And what about Victory Shumbusho... it would be nice to see some of these Canadians on the Vancouver pitch... seems like CPL teams are picking up an awful lot of non Canadians this year.

3 hours ago, wallflower said:

Yes. And what about Victory Shumbusho... it would be nice to see some of these Canadians on the Vancouver pitch... seems like CPL teams are picking up an awful lot of non Canadians this year.

Yes that's another name that immediately comes to mind. He's done uni now, I believe. A team like this was seemingly made for exactly the benefit of these types of players, imo, even if they get added at first as depth players.

Edited by nolando

gardner and shumbusho are 25 and gardner was in cpl a couple years ago and in usl eight years ago...with all that experience and at 25 if he isnt good enough to be a starter today you are better off bringing a youngster instead...either way with a degree and at 25 chances are they arent willing to take a 25-30k salary in cpl

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

gardner and shumbusho are 25 and gardner was in cpl a couple years ago and in usl eight years ago...with all that experience and at 25 if he isnt good enough to be a starter today you are better off bringing a youngster instead...either way with a degree and at 25 chances are they arent willing to take a 25-30k salary in cpl

Fair points. It will be interesting to see who who comes in to fill out this roster.

Hey guys, just kind of curious as to the bus/public transit options from Langley after a game. There doesn't look to be a lot of options for getting out to Surrey (where getting to the airport late seems easy once you are there) or Abbotsford after a 7pm Sunday game in order to make a flight the next morning at either airport.

I have been out that way once, and the pitch doesn't look too far from the Carvolth exchange, but it still looks to be a half hour hike uphill.  

Edited by -Hammer-

20 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Hey guys, just kind of curious as to the bus/public transit options from Langley after a game. There doesn't look to be a lot of options for getting out to Surrey (where getting to the airport late seems easy once you are there) or Abbotsford after a 7pm Sunday game in order to make a flight the next morning at either airport.

I have been out that way once, and the pitch doesn't look too far from the Carvolth exchange, but it still looks to be a half hour hike uphill.  

If you are going to be out this way...forget transit. Just tell one of the locals and we would be happy to give you a ride.

4 hours ago, masster said:

If you are going to be out this way...forget transit. Just tell one of the locals and we would be happy to give you a ride.

I am honestly considering going to the Home Opener, if only to say I've been to 4 CanPL team home openers. Also because Lynx has roundtrip flights to YVR from $150 from the Hammer that weekend, and the Whitecaps play on the Saturday.

The issue is the flight leaves at 8am back to Hamilton and while if I can reach the SkyTrain I should be good, getting to it from Langley at that hour, doesn't seem to be an option.

Still working things out.

7 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

I am honestly considering going to the Home Opener, if only to say I've been to 4 CanPL team home openers. Also because Lynx has roundtrip flights to YVR from $150 from the Hammer that weekend, and the Whitecaps play on the Saturday.

The issue is the flight leaves at 8am back to Hamilton and while if I can reach the SkyTrain I should be good, getting to it from Langley at that hour, doesn't seem to be an option.

Still working things out.

Hi....don't stay in Langley then, stay in Richmond or even central Vancouver, near the Canada Line.

If your flight is out of YVR, not Abbotsford, that would be different. 

Much easier to return to the city centre after a match on a Sunday, then make an early YVR flight, than try to get from Langley to YVR early on a Monday without a vehicle.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hi....don't stay in Langley then, stay in Richmond or even central Vancouver, near the Canada Line.

If your flight is out of YVR, not Abbotsford, that would be different. 

Much easier to return to the city centre after a match on a Sunday, then make an early YVR flight, than try to get from Langley to YVR early on a Monday without a vehicle.

Of that there would be no question. I would spend the first night in Richmond right outside the airport as the Friday flight doesn't land till 22:30 (assuming no delay). The Saturday and Sunday would be in Vancouver for just the reason you say, but that's kind of my point.

After the game at around 9-10pm there doesn't seem to be a way via public transit to get to either Surrey (and the SkyTrain there that runs late and would get me back to a hotel close to the Canada line) or Abbotsford (to make an early morning airport flight)

13 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

After the game at around 9-10pm there doesn't seem to be a way via public transit to get to either Surrey (and the SkyTrain there that runs late and would get me back to a hotel close to the Canada line) or Abbotsford (to make an early morning airport flight)

Like I said, I will be driving back to the city so you can grab a ride with me.

22 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

Of that there would be no question. I would spend the first night in Richmond right outside the airport as the Friday flight doesn't land till 22:30 (assuming no delay). The Saturday and Sunday would be in Vancouver for just the reason you say, but that's kind of my point.

The 501 bus runs to Surrey Centre leaving until after 10pm on a Sunday, for example. Or trust Mass, I would ;)

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

You're probably best to stay central in New West... skytrain to the Caps and uber cab to Langley. You'd also save a few bucks on accommodations because I find hotels in that area are on the cheaper side. You can get a decent tourist experience at the New West Quay 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The 501 bus runs to Surrey Centre leaving until after 10pm on a Sunday, for example. Or trust Mass, I would ;)

It goes every 30 minutes from near the Langley Events center too, there's a stop 3 minutes away from VFC stadium location at 200th at the 7800 block.

https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-line-501-Southwest_British_Columbia-145-1137672-768581-1

Edited by CDNFootballer

56 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

As long as it proves to be durable and safe is all that matters.  

More I'd say: durable, safe, agreed; then attractive, comfortable to be in, not "tinny", not feeling like it's on the cheap. Projecting some specific character and not entirely generic. Since a modular system can be customised relatively easily, there is really no excuse. 

I don't have too much faith in Friend's savvy, hope he proves me wrong.

Edit: well I finally took a look at their web, where the stadium renders are branded York Utd, oddly. Anyways, they've convinced me. If they are doing that, if it is anything close, it could be on the scale and quality we'd expect. 

Take a look, pretty good. We'll take 6 more in Canada.

https://sixfivestadiums.com/

But I'll leave my snarky post above as I'm fine being proven wrong.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist