Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

57 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

More I'd say: durable, safe, agreed; then attractive, comfortable to be in, not "tinny", not feeling like it's on the cheap. Projecting some specific character and not entirely generic. Since a modular system can be customised relatively easily, there is really no excuse. 

I don't have too much faith in Friend's savvy, hope he proves me wrong.

Edit: well I finally took a look at their web, where the stadium renders are branded York Utd, oddly. Anyways, they've convinced me. If they are doing that, if it is anything close, it could be on the scale and quality we'd expect. 

Take a look, pretty good. We'll take 6 more in Canada.

https://sixfivestadiums.com/

But I'll leave my snarky post above as I'm fine being proven wrong.

Modular prefab:  all I can think of putting together the frame of my own Shelter Logic temporary car garage and having the weld break when I had to do a very slight re-position.  

They want it to be "green" from the ground up: I just hope it's solid!

So for those who haven't been to the site. That is the view looking south and slightly east from the north-west corner. 

It is accurate in that

-there is lots of parking on the west side, none on the east. Lots behind this pov, to the north, near the main buildings of the Events Centre, not seen. Ideally you should have an entrance on the N-E corner, as that is where most fans will be approaching from. The building on the extreme left is a high or middle school, another secondary school at the back there, parking there too. 

-there's a small gardened knoll on the north end and if you want to stop folks watching free from up there, you need to block the view as we see.

-you couldn't really add a stand on the north, on the south you could, where some parking used to be. 

-the old changing rooms are in the far corner. Either they use them, renovated, or choose a new set in those modules on the near corner. Which perhaps are concessions for that west stand. In fact, it seems they want most fans seeking food and drink to go to the N end.

-private boxes or similar on the east side, at the top. But no clear distinction of a higher quality seating on that side. Are they going to price a main stand differently (they better not).

Small inaccuracies and perhaps concerns.

-best camera angles would be from the west side, that nearer stand, as afternoon or evening matches will have sun coming over from that side, from r to l. Pls don't make the same error as at Starlight, camera facing into the sun. Saying this as it seems there is a notch for cameras on the other side. 

-the field to the left is actually about 3 metres higher than the stadium field. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 hours ago, Big_M said:

We should have a poll

By Opening Home Match May 7th Stadium is:

1-Fully done

2-Not completed but advanced enough to be able to host the game

3-Not advanced enough and home opener gets postponed

4-Completed but City of Langley building inspectors have concerns over structural stability so more delays occur.  Home opener moved to BC Place!

Had a few people reach out to me yesterday with this news excited. I've been promoting the idea to people but I think the visual brought it to life. Lots of comments like this should be great it's only 10 minutes from my house. I think this is the essence of why this will succeed. People are just burnt out of traveling all the way in to downtown Vancouver for everything. The best marketing for this team will be the physical construction of the stadium. So many people drive 200th every day on their commute and the sudden appearance of a stadium will be a bit of a topic of conversation 

Edited by SpursFlu