Friendly - Canada vs Uruguay - Tuesday, September 27th - 12 pm Eastern / 9 am Pacific

narduch

2 hours ago, Scottie said:

Pretty embarrassing that Bell media is paying to send media to report on this game, but not ponying up to broadcast it.

Very true. But maybe onesoccer did not want them to sell the rights. Plus they are the only TV network to send 3 ppl and a production team to Europe for only 2 games. That is not a small expense. 

23 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Very true. But maybe onesoccer did not want them to sell the rights. Plus they are the only TV network to send 3 ppl and a production team to Europe for only 2 games. That is not a small expense. 

It's possible TSN balked at whatever onesoccer asked for (pure speculation).  What they've invested in so far is fine for building up WC buzz, which is the main draw and revenue/engagement ticket.  The upcoming game is a friendly and midday on a Tuesday, not the actual WC.  Maybe the casual fan checks in on the score or catches a bit during lunch if you're in Eastern Canada, but I doubt viewership will jump much given the time it's playing.  If you're on the West coast or central, even less likely you'll be tuning in to watch.  Most people will be at work or school at 9:30am, not sitting at a pub...

I bet they will get the rights for the Japan friendly, if they don't have it already...much closer to the WC kickoff.  It will be hyped.  Plus it's in Qatar...you can almost feel the atmosphere at that point.

Edited by cornerkick

2 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

It's possible TSN balked at whatever onesoccer asked for (pure speculation).  What they've invested in so far is fine for building up WC buzz, which is the main draw and revenue/engagement ticket.  The upcoming game is a friendly and midday on a Tuesday, not the actual WC.  Maybe the casual fan checks in on the score or catches a bit during lunch if you're in Eastern Canada, but I doubt viewership will jump much given the time it's playing.  If you're on the West coast or central, even less likely you'll be tuning in to watch.  Most people will be at work or school at 9:30am, not sitting at a pub...

I bet they will get the rights for the Japan friendly, if they don't have it already...much closer to the WC kickoff.  It will be hyped.

Good points. Just a question One soccer has all right to all games friendlies and competitions for 10 more years, Not including the world cup? 

21 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Good points. Just a question One soccer has all right to all games friendlies and competitions for 10 more years, Not including the world cup? 

I think Canada Soccer Business has a 10 year deal for broadcast rights, starting from 2018.  Not sure how the world cup fits into that, or if that's excluded. 

If any early Vancouver fans are up to watch,  PARK PUB on davies street will have a few fans going, it's the only pub open at 8am with drinks flowing at 9am. 

Bring a laptop or viewing device, I will have my large laptop and external speaker. If they let me I have an HDMI cable to put it on a tv. 

10 hours ago, Scottie said:

Pretty embarrassing that Bell media is paying to send media to report on this game, but not ponying up to broadcast it.

Maybe they figured for all the money they’ve spent over the past couple of decades propping up the cfl that the CSB could show a bit of gratitude and do them a solid once in a while. 

The match between our next opponent and a team fairly similar to today's opponent finished Japan 0 - 0 Ecuador.

The sprinkler in the centre circle in Dusseldorf went off just before kick off, and then twice more in the first few minutes of the match.

In a game of two halves, Ecuador, who finished two points behind Uruguay in qualifying, looked frightening a few times in the first half.  The second half was mostly Japan, although they gave away a penalty towards the end, which was saved by the almost two-metre goalkeeper.  Japanese manager, Moriyasu, was doing quite a bit of last minute experimenting to sort out which four of the current team won't be going to Qatar.

Edited by vancanman