Friendly - Canada vs Uruguay - Tuesday, September 27th - 12 pm Eastern / 9 am Pacific

narduch

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I can't get the stupid audio to work and I don't have the same lip-reading skills as HAL 9000, but this TSN video appears to feature Luke Wileman claiming that Davies is out for tomorrow, despite the fact that he's dancing to hip hop in the video:

https://www.tsn.ca/FIFA-World-Cup/video/buchanan-ready-to-return-as-canadian-men-prepare-for-toughest-test-yet~2528831

audio not working for me also...

7 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

I wonder what the reason is for holding Davies out, apart from it only being a friendly.  Is Bayern requesting it?

If that's the case that he is being left out (frustrating that TSN's audio isn't working), then my guess is that it would be purely precautionary. In the "uncut" training video Davies can clearly be seen participating in all the drills and he is one of the players running around like a maniac celebrating at the end of the video....so how badly can he be "injured""?

The 2nd choice for Bayern at LB is usually Lucas Hernandez, and he's apparently out several weeks with an adductor injury. So this is probably 99.9% Bayern saying "don't play him - especially since it's Uruguay" - unless of course TSN is only speculating, since we have no idea what the hell they are saying in their own video.

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The 2nd choice for Bayern at LB is usually Lucas Hernandez, and he's apparently out several weeks with an adductor injury. So this is probably 99.9% Bayern saying "don't play him - especially since it's Uruguay" - unless of course TSN is only speculating, since we have no idea what the hell they are saying in their own video.

Uruguay=Italy.  They are a bunch of very rough footballers, they are honest but they go for it, which I like that attitude.  The Iran result was odd.  They have the Portuguese coach again I heard.  The one who fought against Roy Keane at Man U,  don't remember his name.  Coached Colombia and got the sack!!

Shame if Davies is indeed witheld, but on the plus side that opens up minutes for another wide player. We still haven't seen Koleosho or Corbeanu this window, plus Herdman is seemingly committed to getting Tajon minutes. He said the same thing about Koleosho in an earlier interview. Maybe Millar gets another run? Nobody can replace Davies, but at least we have a plethora of wide options.

And if there's any player who doesn't need the experience going up against big time players, it's Davies. 

But all that said, I hope this is conjecture from Wileman and Davies gets some minutes, even from the bench. Would be nice to actually hear that audio. I am convinced the issue is on TSN's end.

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

But all that said, I hope this is conjecture from Wileman and Davies gets some minutes, even from the bench. Would be nice to actually hear that audio. I am convinced the issue is on TSN's end.

I still think it might be, or possibly a bit of misinformation from someone, since the text accompanying that silent video says "Alphonso Davies has been sidelined with an injury for Team Canada, but that doesn't make his presence felt any less as the young star as been the life of Canada's sidelines and dressing room". But, leaving aside how much I hate the insistence of the "Team Canada" (I wonder if they mention that we are playing "Team Uruguay" in the video that we can't hear), we can all see for ourselves that he's not been relegated to the sidelines and the dressing room. And players with injuries don't go running around like maniacs and slide on their knees the way he does at the end of that video. So something is not adding up.

That said, not risking him against a team like Uruguay may not be the worst thing in the world for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with Bayern.

Screenshot_20220926-035606_Chrome.jpg.fd3616b1d9bffa7f413fdc7f9b2c0a4a.jpg

Opening betting odds on Bet365 for those interested. I won't be placing a bet on this game because I think they're pretty realistic (I.e. no value here unlike Qatar where they had Canada at equal odds which was such a joke). 

Bookies have us favored to lose. Will be interesting to see how the odds evolve. I think I heard that Uruguay doesn't have their starting defenders? If so, over 2.5 goals might be a good shout.

3 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Screenshot_20220926-035606_Chrome.jpg.fd3616b1d9bffa7f413fdc7f9b2c0a4a.jpg

Opening betting odds on Bet365 for those interested. I won't be placing a bet on this game because I think they're pretty realistic (I.e. no value here unlike Qatar where they had Canada at equal odds which was such a joke). 

Bookies have us favored to lose. Will be interesting to see how the odds evolve. I think I heard that Uruguay doesn't have their starting defenders? If so, over 2.5 goals might be a good shout.

Just to talk and keeping the ball rolling; I'm not betting anything major, but I think Canada has a legit shot here, and I think Canada cares more about these friendlies than Uruguay does to be honest. I know strength of opponents hasn't been the same but here's some stats...

Canada have won 8 of their last 11 matches

Canada have conceded 1 or less goals in 15 of their last 16 matches

Canada have scored 2 or more goals in 7 of their last 11 matches

Uruguay have conceded 3 or more goals in 3 of their last 8 matches

Uruguay have scored 1 or less goals in 16 of their last 20 matches.

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I can't get the stupid audio to work and I don't have the same lip-reading skills as HAL 9000, but this TSN video appears to feature Luke Wileman claiming that Davies is out for tomorrow, despite the fact that he's dancing to hip hop in the video:

https://www.tsn.ca/FIFA-World-Cup/video/buchanan-ready-to-return-as-canadian-men-prepare-for-toughest-test-yet~2528831

The audio was not working on my cell either but it is working from my computer. There is no talk of Davies not playing tomorrow and he is feeling fine. 

42 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

The audio was not working on my cell either but it is working from my computer. There is no talk of Davies not playing tomorrow and he is feeling fine. 

Yeah, the audio is now working on my computer as well, Wileman says the exact opposite of what the text below the video says about Davies now being injured. Whoever wrote that "Davies is sidelined with an injury" stuff below the video for tsn is a dumb-ass who should be defenestrated at the earliest available opportunity. I bet the audio wasn't working for that person either and they just wrote the text based on their own assumptions of what they saw in the video.

13 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

Man you really see how important it is to have those duals come to you first.  Koleosho is a part of the guys there. Flores and mitrovic never had that.  Love the way he's part of the team

My thoughts exactly. If it’s true that Davies is his favourite player then leaving us would mean he likely never plays with him again. If he stays with us he can play his entire career with him and who knows? Maybe that turns into a link up at club level.

37 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yeah, the audio is now working on my computer as well, Wileman says the exact opposite of what the text below the video says about Davies now being injured. Whoever wrote that "Davies is sidelined with an injury" stuff below the video for tsn is a dumb-ass who should be defenestrated at the earliest available opportunity. I bet the audio wasn't working for that person either and they just wrote the text based on their own assumptions of what they saw in the video.

I love the media sometimes.  And bonus marks for "defenestrated."