Luc de Fougerolles

canuckgbp

I've been concerned about his lack of first team time so far - I read a couple of season preview pieces that mentioned him as a potentially important addition to the club, so, I guess I had pretty high expectations.

Anywho, I gave a quick look at highly touted defenders of the past, as to where they were at by LDF's age.

• Adam Straith had made one appearance for the Cottbus II (German 4th division at the time).
  • David Edgar had yet to appear beyond the youth setup at Newcastle.
  • Nana Attakora had been on the bench a number of times for TFC, but had yet to appear.
  • Doneil Henry had appeared 18 times for TFC (in all competitions) and logged close to 1000 minutes.

Those are the centrebacks I could think of who were pretty precocious. There have been several fullbacks who have made larger contributions by LDF's age (Davies, JMR, Jamie Peters), but I'm not sure that those are valid comps or that that is where he ultimately going to end up.

Edited by gkhs

Could see him being loaned to MTL, TFC or Vancouver in the summer transfer window.

These clubs will push Fulham for a transfer & the kid will want to play, unless he gets a loan next season in the Championship.

He is an International now, if he wants to play, he has to play every week. No more bench warming.

Edited by P-O

44 minutes ago, One American said:

Reading around Twitter, Jedi looks like he's leaving for a big club (Bayern, Pool, Chelsea). So possible playing time opening.

I’ve always thought Jedi was one of If not the best player on the USA when I watch them. As much I hate them this is a guy I think deserves a move and it might give the future best defender in Concacaf more minutes. 

Similar to what I was saying with Jedi moving up, it’s good overall for Concacaf to get better in general and get a better reputation. At this point I always cheer for teams like Mexico, USA and Jamaica to win when playing non Concacaf opponents as well as always hoping for more players playing at higher levels. This may be an unpopular opinion on this forum though.

Sorry if this got off LDF topic.

If anyone has a still shot of the ear to ear grin on LDF's face when he was waiting on the sidelines to come on, would love to see it. It was like someone told him he had a date with his H.S.  Prom queen. Incredible to see.  As much as I want  a higher level coach for Canada, Biello gets full marks for being in touch with his father, including Luc in the past 4 squads and finally getting him capped. Hope Mauro remains with the CSA in some capacity as I really believe he has Canada's best interests at heart.

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

If anyone has a still shot of the ear to ear grin on LDF's face when he was waiting on the sidelines to come on, would love to see it. It was like someone told him he had a date with his H.S.  Prom queen. Incredible to see.  As much as I want  a higher level coach for Canada, Biello gets full marks for being in touch with his father, including Luc in the past 4 squads and finally getting him capped. Hope Mauro remains with the CSA in some capacity as I really believe he has Canada's best interests at heart.

I am not a fan of the tactical decisions as head coach but I 100% agree with the bolded.  Local guy with strong ties to the setup, his son was a really solid player for us and may someday make the senior side, and despite the issues on display he did help get us to Copa and brought about a changing of the guard (which takes some gonads given the role he was in).   

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:
11 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Busting out the French to the glee of the Francophone players. Love it.

Warmed my calloused football heart

31 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Great to see, even if they were late with it.  I looked all day yesterday 😄.

To be fair games overnight there can get lost. And the Americans are starters and theirs was in theory a bigger game.

16 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Our Defense gives me hart attacks everytime we defend.

Reference to a past manager?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I think it was mentioned on here somewhere - maybe not -  he stayed around Texas for the Dallas Cup with the Fulham u19s.  

Fulham's side made it to the semi finals where he captained them.  Unfortunately they lost 4-0 to perennial power Sao Paolo.

Full match here if you are a bit of masochist. (And not just because the commentators' butchery of his name) 

Edit: Listened while doing other things and watched when his name came up

Some points

- They played out from the back - 95% through him.  Was good for most of it but the Brazilians pressed and forced some bad passes (got worse as he tired, see below)

- He is still very right-footed but probably out of neccesity they played him as the LCB in a pairing.  Some problems came from that.

- Solid tackling and organization over all

- Was up against a dominant Brazilian side in some heat and looked it by the end.  Got sloppy and done for pace for a goal at the end.

- Ultimately a really tough test and the score reflected that. 

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2024/april/05/u21-crystal-palace-highlights/

Highlights from today's game from the Premier League Cup, (the u21 cup).  This was the quarter final.

They won 3-0 so not a whole lot of him except trying to help  other defenders on a couple unsuccessful chances.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

and can't get a European spot.

They definitely can. League Cup and most likely FA Cup spots will go to 6th and 7th of the Premier League.

Edited by MauditYvon