WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Hutch has played centre back for canada before.  In fact, as centre back, he was named to the U20 WC 2003 best 11.  I think he is the only Canadian to boast such an accomplishment at a FIFA tournament.

D mids can easily adapt and be inter-changeable to the CB role.  

As stated earlier, the most likely case in 2022 of him playing CB would be if do to an injury, he had to move back and provide cover. Maybe out of subs, or just because of the situation in the game. 

We brought a lot of CBs to camp. We are thin in the midfield. I am not questioning whether Hutch could put a shift in or not. Just don't think it is needed, especially when we have more pressing needs in the middle of the park. 

Eustaquio's status is unclear and if available for selection we don't know how many minutes he can give us. 

Piette went down and it sounded like he wasn't available yesterday (Heard mixed thing so its unclear)

Kaye is out of season and seemed to struggle yesterday. 

Why move a midfielder to CB when we have plenty of cover and yet are thin in the midfield? 

32 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

A win clinches is top 4, which would be a really nice feeling going into the last window so we can ease Jebbi in 😉

We were discussing this over a post match celebration drink, I say if we are clinched the fence sitters should be given the chance to come into the side and be part of the WC squad, if they close not to so be it we will produce many fine players of quality by the time 2026 rolls around!

7 minutes ago, gator said:

We were discussing this over a post match celebration drink, I say if we are clinched the fence sitters should be given the chance to come into the side and be part of the WC squad, if they close not to so be it we will produce many fine players of quality by the time 2026 rolls around!

It’s a fortunate position to be in! For WCQ I’d guess that Herdman would entertain Jebbison because he can crack the 25 on merit. 

1 hour ago, canuckgbp said:

As stated earlier, the most likely case in 2022 of him playing CB would be if do to an injury, he had to move back and provide cover. Maybe out of subs, or just because of the situation in the game. 

We brought a lot of CBs to camp. We are thin in the midfield. I am not questioning whether Hutch could put a shift in or not. Just don't think it is needed, especially when we have more pressing needs in the middle of the park. 

Eustaquio's status is unclear and if available for selection we don't know how many minutes he can give us. 

Piette went down and it sounded like he wasn't available yesterday (Heard mixed thing so its unclear)

Kaye is out of season and seemed to struggle yesterday. 

Why move a midfielder to CB when we have plenty of cover and yet are thin in the midfield? 

The only reason I posted that is being some posters were mocking another for suggesting it, when it was not that far off. 

I also believe Hutch has played CB for us, if I recall correctly. Maybe two Gold Cups ago?

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The only reason I posted that is being some posters were mocking another for suggesting it, when it was not that far off. 

I also believe Hutch has played CB for us, if I recall correctly. Maybe two Gold Cups ago?

Appreciate that, but within the context of this squad and current window, it just doesn’t make much sense. 

Might have more chance seeing Laryea in midfield if options become limited. 

Heard both that Hutch was just being rested but also that he might of had a slight knock? 

Worst case if Hutch, Eustaquio and Piette can’t go, really wish we brought some more options in the middle of the park. 

1 hour ago, theaub said:

And a draw assures us that no matter what we will qualify directly if we beat Jamaica at home.

That’s if Panama lose on Wed at Mexico as well.

We’d be on 26 points, and Panama could still match that if results don’t happen in the 4th window there would still be a GD tiebreaker in play- that we will never lose at this point- but the clinch could still technically wait for last match day. 

But - we could have a scenario for March 30th where we play Jamaica and Panama drops points away to the US to confirm the clinch. 

Lets do more counting on Wednesday night!

Edited by Redpunkfiddle

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

I've been wondering this too.

Has it really been confirmed that he is in camp?

We heard he warmed up yesterday.

Heard he wasn't in the city. 

Wheeler on the broadcast said they couldn't register him in time.

Saw reports he was still in Portugal.

Craziness lol. 

At this point has anyone actually seen him? I get with the cold weather everyone is bundled up so it makes things more difficult. 

1 minute ago, canuckgbp said:

We heard he warmed up yesterday.

Heard he wasn't in the city. 

Wheeler on the broadcast said they couldn't register him in time.

Saw reports he was still in Portugal.

Craziness lol. 

At this point has anyone actually seen him? I get with the cold weather everyone is bundled up so it makes things more difficult. 

Surely an intrepid Voyageur was sitting near the bench and snapped a pic.

10 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

That’s if Panama lose on Wed at Mexico as well.

We’d be on 26 points, and Panama could still match that if results don’t happen in the 4th window there would still be a GD tiebreaker in play- that we will never lose at this point- but the clinch could still technically wait for last match day. 

But - we could have a scenario for March 30th where we play Jamaica and Panama drops points away to the US to confirm the clinch. 

Lets do more counting on Wednesday night!

Agree its mostly semantics, but if Panama gets to 26 that means that one of the US/Mexico isn't getting past 22.

2 hours ago, Francois79 said:

I'm nervous about Henry starting, he's just too risky, I would see Cornelius starting, he's in form and is a natural CB, I would take him over any non CB moving into the position, we need the 3 points in Salvador to release the pressure, it's not the time for experiment. 

I would see Cavalini in the starting lineup for David, this is the kind of environment he can do damages in and I think David needs some rest. 

I am quite comfortable with Henry starting, I don't think it is risky. I am still convinced he was told to me impose his physical presence on Mexico. Perhaps he was a bit overly enthusiastic,  but Chucky certainly knows who his is now. 

1 minute ago, kacbru said:

I am quite comfortable with Henry starting, I don't think it is risky. I am still convinced he was told to me impose his physical presence on Mexico. Perhaps he was a bit overly enthusiastic,  but Chucky certainly knows who his is now. 

It wasn't so much the big hit. It was the continued, relentless pursuit of Mexican players LOL, that eventually led to an early sub. He just seemed hellbent on sending a message. 

Maybe he took Herdman's pregame pep talk too much to heart lol. 

Doneil is a monster in the air though on both sides of the ball. El Salvador isn't a big team from memory, so offensively Henry could shine in this one on corners. 

1 minute ago, canuckgbp said:

It wasn't so much the big hit. It was the continued, relentless pursuit of Mexican players LOL, that eventually led to an early sub. He just seemed hellbent on sending a message. 

Maybe he took Herdman's pregame pep talk too much to heart lol. 

Doneil is a monster in the air though on both sides of the ball. El Salvador isn't a big team from memory, so offensively Henry could shine in this one on corners. 

I find Henry is a good player, can really cement himself on the field.  Everything is going fine and he’ll make some boneheaded tackle and you’re just like wtf. When you play on the back line it’s going to happen, especially around the box, but it’s happened too many times.  There’s just no other real option at this point.  At least Vitoria will be free of cards come the last window 

23 minutes ago, theaub said:

Agree its mostly semantics, but if Panama gets to 26 that means that one of the US/Mexico isn't getting past 22.

All these combinations are making my head hurt, so I just made a spreadsheet instead so I could play with the scores to see what could be. I actually stumbled on a scenario where all 4 teams end up with 25 pts!