Brampton

PopePouri

In the unlikely event that Patrick Brown forces everyone in Brampton to secede from the Crown, the Brampton lineup looks really strong now with the edition of Ayo:

--------Larin---------Akinola----------Hoilett------------
--Millar--------Osorio-----------Chapman----Buchanan--
--------Singh----------Hutch-------Henry----------------
------------------------Maan------------------------------

(I don't know what this thread is about. Just that there's something in the water in the Flower City, and given that I live here, I still have hope of pursuing a professional soccer career).

Edited by PopePouri
typos

To chime in the Brampton thing is a bit of the Malcolm Gladwell “Outlier” syndrome. There is such a high population density of teams and soccer players all in small catchment area(for Canada). In Brampton/Mississauga when I coached there at the OYSL level there were 4-5 teams(Brampton East, BYSC, Miss Falcons, north Miss, Erin Mills even Clarkson and Malton) and every year pushing each other and I always say it’s about playing against the best week in and week out that’s how u really improve. There was no one team dominating. Also around this time the SAAC academies really took off Bryst Sigma and AnB I mean there was so much competition for talent that everyone benefited from it. And even TFC academy came around this time too(of the recent. Crop)Add in the regional programs and coaches Like Joey Lombardi and they really were doing all the right things (technical tactical mental and physical balances programs) 

Anyways I’m rambling on but just a bit of insight I think into this bubble of emerging talent

sorry if I missed any clubs or academies 

my 2 Cents…

39 minutes ago, spitfire said:

To chime in the Brampton thing is a bit of the Malcolm Gladwell “Outlier” syndrome. There is such a high population density of teams and soccer players all in small catchment area(for Canada). In Brampton/Mississauga when I coached there at the OYSL level there were 4-5 teams(Brampton East, BYSC, Miss Falcons, north Miss, Erin Mills even Clarkson and Malton) and every year pushing each other and I always say it’s about playing against the best week in and week out that’s how u really improve. There was no one team dominating. Also around this time the SAAC academies really took off Bryst Sigma and AnB I mean there was so much competition for talent that everyone benefited from it. And even TFC academy came around this time too(of the recent. Crop)Add in the regional programs and coaches Like Joey Lombardi and they really were doing all the right things (technical tactical mental and physical balances programs) 

Anyways I’m rambling on but just a bit of insight I think into this bubble of emerging talent

sorry if I missed any clubs or academies 

my 2 Cents…

This and the spill over effect where you have the teams from Caledon and Bolton (Caledon East) among others that have 80% of their clubs comprised of Brampton players. 

In the tech world, this is known as benefiting from network effects. Canada's overall football network effects are pretty skimpy which makes it a challenge for kids who stay in smaller towns and provinces to develop elite skills. But CPL clubs should help widen the network effects especially if academies and pro/reg are introduced.

Otherwise, we need to look at finding more Bramptons across GTA and in other 5/6 major cities. Brampton has been a fast growing city with youngish people. Net worth has been rising steadily which implies monies are there to build out sporting infrastructure and have time/monies for kids' leisure activities. People are already familiar with the sport, so you see more parks build with pitches than diamonds. It means even volunteer youth coaches know something about the sport and more than a handful know what it takes to develop an elite player.

Peel region which also includes Mississauga & Caledon are also beneficiaries of Brampton's football network effects building. 

5 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Aren't the lack of monies part of the success? Most of these kids come from immigrant Carribean families. Any more monies they'll be playing da hockey like Byfield.

That's what happened here. Just replace Jamaica with Italy/Croatia/Portugal. All kids with money want to burn it on the ice.

My high school was in Brampton. Paul Stalteri, Jason Bent, and Atiba all went there. In my time, which is when Paul and Jason were there, the makeup of the school was exactly that: mostly Italian, Croatian, Portuguese, and Caribbean immigrants. There was only one sport they knew.

Brampton also had indoor leagues during the winter. They were a lot cheaper to join than hockey. I don't know how it is now, but soccer was always accessible for everyone.

18 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Aren't the lack of monies part of the success? Most of these kids come from immigrant Carribean families. Any more monies they'll be playing da hockey like Byfield.

That's what happened here. Just replace Jamaica with Italy/Croatia/Portugal. All kids with money want to burn it on the ice.

I think that may have been a big factor back in the 90s and 2000s but now with soccer culture becoming ingrained in the city, along with MLS salaries potentially becoming more lucrative in a couple years, even family with monies tend to choose the sport over hockey for their kids.

Another interesting point to note is that the city of Toronto has very few elite youth soccer teams, especially when you start getting older in age.  Players start leaving the TDYSL of Toronto to teams in Brampton, Mississauga, Vaughan etc.  So not only do they have their own populations to bring from but many GTA teams are able to attract players from the city of Toronto as well.

Edited by Corazon

I think it’s important to mention the size of these cities and population that plays a major factor. Brampton and Mississauga are just so bigggg, is why we see so many clubs - there’s a greater footprint to cover. 

For reference the city of Brampton (which is the lesser city in Peel) has more people than the region of Durham, which makes sense why it would have the same amount of clubs/more elite clubs.

Brampton or Mississauga CPL club would be great, but an elite-elite academy will be great. 

Thanks to Vaughan SC we’re not relying on TFC to develop or launch every home grown product.

9 hours ago, Shway said:

I think it’s important to mention the size of these cities and population that plays a major factor. Brampton and Mississauga are just so bigggg, is why we see so many clubs - there’s a greater footprint to cover. 

For reference the city of Brampton (which is the lesser city in Peel) has more people than the region of Durham, which makes sense why it would have the same amount of clubs/more elite clubs.

Brampton or Mississauga CPL club would be great, but an elite-elite academy will be great. 

Thanks to Vaughan SC we’re not relying on TFC to develop or launch every home grown product.

Sigma is that academy and I'm fine with what they have done already.

Edited by PopePouri

When I was in grade 9 and 10 I played indoor in my town, both years I was the best player in the league and it wasn't even close (to be fair, it was co-ed and I think I was the oldest player).

The next year I played a season of indoor soccer in Brampton, the level of play was so much higher. I held my own skill wise but I didn't stand out, I feel like there wasn't a single bad player in the league.

To be fair, my town (which is nearby and may have been mentioned above) does have a lot of really good players, I'm surprised we haven't really produced any professionals of note. I just assume none of them bothered to play indoor soccer lol.

3 hours ago, Bdog said:

When I was in grade 9 and 10 I played indoor in my town, both years I was the best player in the league and it wasn't even close (to be fair, it was co-ed and I think I was the oldest player).

The next year I played a season of indoor soccer in Brampton, the level of play was so much higher. I held my own skill wise but I didn't stand out, I feel like there wasn't a single bad player in the league.

To be fair, my town (which is nearby and may have been mentioned above) does have a lot of really good players, I'm surprised we haven't really produced any professionals of note. I just assume none of them bothered to play indoor soccer lol.

My Osteopath is in Bolton. She's wonderful. I see her once a month to realign my skeletal structure.

Edited by Macksam

• 8 months later...

Coaches who didn't play hockey. Brampton also probably has the best football infrastructure in Canada.

Hutch is also building a Cruyff style football court - the third one in Canada.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/10593016-brampton-building-new-outdoor-soccer-court-naming-it-after-local-team-canada-star-atiba-hutchinson/

1 minute ago, red card said:

Coaches who didn't play hockey. Brampton also probably has the best football infrastructure in Canada.

Hutch is also building a Cruyff style football court - the third one in Canada.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/10593016-brampton-building-new-outdoor-soccer-court-naming-it-after-local-team-canada-star-atiba-hutchinson/

Hahahaha. Their dad's look like older versions of Atiba and Junior!

Another ode to Brampton article (& Herdman). From one of my favourite Globe writers and author of the World is a Ball. 

Two things make this Canadian men’s soccer team special - John Herdman and the City of Brampton

..you’ll find that across Canada’s national soccer teams, men’s and women’s, from elite youth to the senior teams, there are at least 40 players from, yeah, Brampton. Forty.

In politics, Brampton and the entire “905 region” play an outsize role. In soccer it is outsize, too. The area is home to countless sports clubs and teams. Look at the online sports schedules for the Brampton area and it seems they play sports, indoor and outdoor, 24/7 all year long.

In a larger context you could say Brampton and cities like it have changed Canada. In a way that no team in the NHL could possibly understand, Brampton is us, and we are Brampton. Those players don’t need much persuasion to represent Canada; it’s in their bones and their sense of belonging. They are transforming Canada as people and now transforming Canada into a men’s soccer power. Herdman looks at his lineup and sees six guys from Brampton and he knows, he just knows, what it means in terms of hearts and minds. The alchemy is there, thanks to him and them.

Herdman's management style in a sentence is a Maori saying he learned while in NZ: You have to touch someone’s heart before you can take them by the hand.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-two-things-make-this-canadian-mens-team-special-john-herdman-and-the/

Edited by red card

Doyle is easily one of the best writers at the Globe.  His full time job is television critic and I'll watch anything he rates. That said, his soccer coverage is top notch, on par or better than anything from traditional papers like the Guardian, at least for my money.

That area (Brampton) is not just producing talent in soccer and basketball. Its producing (or has produced) a disproportionate amount of top level talent in a multitude of other sport from even Hockey to Curling.   So you can throw out that immigration effect that several people have mentioned.  

i did a quick search a while back (ok, it was wikipedia) and i was very stunned when I look at the number names that come up.  Lets not forget that its a town of some 150k (correction:  it’s over half a mill.) people approximately and yet there are pages and pages of people who have made a name of themselves in sports, arts & entertainment etc.

Edited by Free kick

For someone who grew up and still lives in the city, the best way I can describe is that we have numerous fields, facilities scattered across the city and the break up between housing and green areas is pretty decent. Even though the city has failed tremendously with regards to most everything else, poor public transit, lack of health care facilities, failing to attract big businesses to invest here, we can be proud that sport at least was done right. We even have a speed skating club to go along with the theme Free Kick started by mentioning activities that one would perceive as niche to Brampton. So yeah, even though Markham, Woodbridge, parts of Mississauga,  Oakville, Burlington and Richmond Hill are all better places to live, we at least have one thing over you all.

Edited by Macksam

• 6 months later...
9 minutes ago, red card said:

Mayor of Brampton Patrick Brown mentions Canada going to the World Cup in his Thank You Brampton portion of his acceptance speech. Begins around 3:15.

https://www.cp24.com/video?clipId=2549246&binId=1.1127680&playlistPageNum=1

Didn’t mention the high insurance prices and the need for better drivers….

Okay I’m hating, but I’ve openly admitted that Brampton is a talent factory regardless of the stigma it has in the GTA.