2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

@Bison44

Last night  I read that for Brazil, they changed their policy of having a maximum of 10 hosts and,  thus allowing 12 host cities.  This was done to allow clustering of cities and groups in order minimize travel distances and keeping teams within their cluster as long as possible. 

For Edmonton to be in, it will have to form a cluster with Toronto.  That's the only way i see it.  Edmonton is too distant  from Seattle, SF and LA to belong to a cluster with with them. and Toronto is not really an east coast city and there is no cluster it can belong to (eg.: NYC/Phi/Bos/DC).   With Tor and EDM forming a cluster for two group that would allow each to get 5 games ( see my tournament format in the previous page).  But the problem is that the bid book says nothing about having a second group stage. 

Honnestly,  i don't think that they know what their going to do yet until they finalize the host cities.  

Edited by Free kick

44 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Toronto is not really an east coast city and there is no cluster it can belong to (eg.: NYC/Phi/Bos/DC)

Toronto is under a 90 min flight from all these cities, I think it can very easily belong to a cluster with the East coast.

Edmonton is kinda tough for any cluster, but its closest to Seattle (90~ mins) and then Denver (2.5 hrs~) out of the cities mentioned. The only way Edmonton and Toronto end up in a cluster together is if FIFA or the CSA fights to ensure that Canada plays in both Toronto and Edmonton.

27 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Have you been to Saskatchewan in January???  It would make Edmonton last week feel like the tropics.

No I have not but we're talking about the 2026 FIFA World Cup lol so I wonder what got lost in translation. But we're talking about the 2026 FIFA World Cup and during the summer months since the World Cup will be a summer event again in 2026, I'm saying that Mosaic Stadium would actually not be a bad venue.

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

No I have not but we're talking about the 2026 FIFA World Cup lol so I wonder what got lost in translation. But we're talking about the 2026 FIFA World Cup and during the summer months since the World Cup will be a summer event again in 2026, I'm saying that Mosaic Stadium would actually not be a bad venue.

My apologies...I lost track of the thread.  Bad multitasking on my part..

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2021/11/23/fifa-wraps-2026-host-city-inspections-toronto-visit/

Nothing really new in this piece except the fact that BMO field expansion (to 45k) will be temporary seating rather than a full expansion

quote: “ If selected for the 2026 tournament, the stadium, which holds 30,000 seats following a renovation between 2014 and 2016, would be expanded with temporary sitting to bring it up to FIFA’s requirements for minimum capacity.”

Edit.: what we can further gather from this decision is that it will should mean no need for any kind of public support or public funds.  Or very minimal.  I think we can safely say,  that unlike Montreal and Vancouver, there will be no obstacles from any level of government to overcome.  

Edited by Free kick

23 minutes ago, Free kick said:

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2021/11/23/fifa-wraps-2026-host-city-inspections-toronto-visit/

Nothing really new in this piece except the fact that BMO field expansion (to 45k) will be temporary seating rather than a full expansion

quote: “ If selected for the 2026 tournament, the stadium, which holds 30,000 seats following a renovation between 2014 and 2016, would be expanded with temporary sitting to bring it up to FIFA’s requirements for minimum capacity.”

Edit.: what we can further gather from this decision is that it will should mean no need for any kind of public support or public funds.  Or very minimal.  I think we can safely say,  that unlike Montreal and Vancouver, there will be no obstacles from any level of government to overcome.  

Plus for Toronto for 2026, just thinking about the transportation, hotels for the 48 teams and their fans but also just what kind of atmosphere it will be in terms of tourism...definitely going to bring in a truckload full of money to our city and I can't wait

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

How did they work in in Russia?? There were cities 3000km apart there.  Or Brazil....damn near the same distances...

All of the Russian cities except one were in the same time zone. The Russians kept their World Cup in Europe, which is a third of their country's land mass. It makes sense, most of the people live there.

We're using a full continent in 2026. I think if Edmonton gets chosen (and I don't see why it wouldn't be) it would be grouped with American cities within its time zone. Denver would be my guess, with another Rocky Mountain city.

Edited by Trois Reds
Rewording

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

That is disappointing because a World Cup is the best opportunity to improve the soccer infrastructure in the country.

42 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

That is disappointing because a World Cup is the best opportunity to improve the soccer infrastructure in the country.

I agree.  I was kind of hoping for new permanent seating with other upgrades given that that facility will be 20 years old in 2026.  it might also have to do with the fact that the heads of the two levels of government now are not the most soccer friendly types.  That's the impression i get,  Unlike, for example, a past mayor who really loves the game. 

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

Temporary stands what joke , just give the games to the US this is becoming a farce and an embarrassment .

It makes sense though. The main tenant, TFC doesn't really need more than 30,000.

Perhaps if the current TFC management didn't kill the buzz in this city that may have been different.

Edited by narduch

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

It makes sense though. The main tenant, TFC doesn't really need more than 30,000.

I was thinking more in the aspect of enclosing that stadium and filling  all the open spaces with stands and a proper roof . I realize for TFC games you  would hardly fill 45000 probably looking at 20000 empty stands each game but if you could enclose that stadium permanently I would take that and deal with the empty stands .

Edited by SoccMan

31 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Temporary stands what joke , just give the games to the US this is becoming a farce and an embarrassment .

Giving the game to the US would be an even more disappointing outcome. Why would you hurt Canadian soccer fans and the Canadian soccer team just because you don't get the stadium improvements you want?

28 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Just fill in all those weird corners and deadspaces and put some actual seats in the North End. If you did that, we'd then have one single proper looking football stadium in this country of 40 mil.

Need to get rid of the Argos for that.

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions