2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

1 hour ago, narduch said:

It makes sense though. The main tenant, TFC doesn't really need more than 30,000.

Perhaps if the current TFC management didn't kill the buzz in this city that may have been different.

You don't necessarily expect 45K for every game if you chose expand.  I think that this past season shouldn't be a barometer to judge anything because of covid and the fact that even SSH's had to actually purchase their own tickets. I didnt bother going for most games for this reason.   

Remember, for those playoff runs,  there were announced sellouts the day that the tickets went on sale. I have no doubt that they would have filled the joint with 45K or even 50K.  I see no reason to believe that that cant happen again.   Also,  for selfish reasons, adding more seats ensures a larger supply/inventory which should serve as protection against future price increases.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Temporary stands what joke , just give the games to the US this is becoming a farce and an embarrassment .

I wish people would sincerely FO with the farce and embarrassment talk.  You get one wide shot of a stadium at the opening of a WC game, nobody around the world gives a fck.  Without looking can you tell me what the Brazil WC stadiums looked like?

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I wish people would sincerely FO with the farce and embarrassment talk.  You get one wide shot of a stadium at the opening of a WC game, nobody around the world gives a fck.  Without looking can you tell me what the Brazil WC stadiums looked like?

I agree Joe At the end of it all nobody cares what the staduim looks like , and all this embarrassment talk STFU. 

4 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I agree Joe At the end of it all nobody cares what the staduim looks like , and all this embarrassment talk STFU. 

I would love to have a bunch of retractable dome stadiums with the turf rolling in on those gigantic concrete trays, but at the end of the day someone has to pay for it.  And we don't have a private sector that is large enough and willing enough to fund it.  Until then...

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

That looks like an accident waiting to happen.

It's an absolute "farce and embarrassment" that hosted matches for Russia 2018... further just lends to the point that BMO will be fine with the extra seats. 

Here's what BMO looked like with extra seating before, I sat at the very top of them for the outdoor NHL game, aside from freezing my ass off and a soccer field being way too large to host a hockey game, it wasn't too bad

image.png.ae41e90fa1be49466c0b929b33aaf788.png

17 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Do you really want to go there :)

I wasn't giving my opinion on the Argos, I was simply stating that BMO Field will remain in its current "shape" unless the Argos move out (or unless a good chunk of change is spent to make a convertible north end stand like the current south end stand).

Just now, RS said:

I wasn't giving my opinion on the Argos, I was simply stating that BMO Field will remain in its current "shape" unless the Argos move out (or unless a good chunk of change is spent to make a convertible north end stand like the current south end stand).

I know, I was just giving you the business :)

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I would love to have a bunch of retractable dome stadiums with the turf rolling in on those gigantic concrete trays, but at the end of the day someone has to pay for it.  And we don't have a private sector that is large enough and willing enough to fund it.  Until then...

The Key phrase . Willing enough to Fund.

9 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

The Key phrase . Willing enough to Fund.

Speaking of "Willing to fund",  I might have spoken too soon earlier when I said that: by installing temporary seating, this would mean that there should be no need for public financing.   

Here is a quote from the city hall press release 

"Budgeting, cost-sharing and funding discussions are underway between all levels of government and private-sector partners.  As planning advances, Toronto City Council will receive an update in early 2022."

City of Toronto and bid partners welcome FIFA delegation for FIFA World Cup 2026 host city site visit – City of Toronto

Edited by Free kick

12 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

It's an absolute "farce and embarrassment" that hosted matches for Russia 2018... further just lends to the point that BMO will be fine with the extra seats. 

Here's what BMO looked like with extra seating before, I sat at the very top of them for the outdoor NHL game, aside from freezing my ass off and a soccer field being way too large to host a hockey game, it wasn't too bad

image.png.ae41e90fa1be49466c0b929b33aaf788.png

I think with that type of seating BMO will be just fine come 2026 especially during June and July of 2026

20 hours ago, Free kick said:

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2021/11/23/fifa-wraps-2026-host-city-inspections-toronto-visit/

Nothing really new in this piece except the fact that BMO field expansion (to 45k) will be temporary seating rather than a full expansion

quote: “ If selected for the 2026 tournament, the stadium, which holds 30,000 seats following a renovation between 2014 and 2016, would be expanded with temporary sitting to bring it up to FIFA’s requirements for minimum capacity.”

This may have been dealt with already, but is SkyDome out of the question because it's during the baseball season?  One would think it would be cheaper to lay grass.

15 minutes ago, RJB said:

This may have been dealt with already, but is SkyDome out of the question because it's during the baseball season?  One would think it would be cheaper to lay grass.

Rogers Centre as a FIFA World Cup venue...I would have said yes but it would interfere with the MLB season especially since June/July with it being World Cup time here in Canada, the Blue Jays would also be playing during their season which would interfere 

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

, the Blue Jays would also be playing during their season which would interfere 

Its not uncommon for Pro teams to jig their schedule to accommodate major international events that would taking place in their venue.   Plus, we would be talking about only two weeks here.

i am not suggesting here that Skydome is doable or feasible. Just merely that the blue jays schedule wouldn't be an impediment. 

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Its not uncommon for Pro teams to jig their schedule to accommodate major international events that would taking place in their venue.   Plus, we would be talking about only two weeks here.

i am not suggesting here that Skydome is doable or feasible. Just merely that the blue jays schedule wouldn't be an impediment. 

Good point but Skydome well Rogers Centre would make for a great World Cup venue

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

I don't remember the details, but I feel like someone in the past pointed out that FIFA demands the stadium to not be in use for like a month or something before. Can anyone back that up? I remember it being more significant than just 2 weeks of actual games. Plus I think just putting grass on top of the concrete floor would be awful. That trick usually doesn't do to well for one friendly game, let alone 5 games in a couple weeks.

As for the temporary seating, it's a bit disappointing but not shocking. Really there would be few times a year where the extra seating would be needed in the future. Big games for TFC or Canada, and maybe the Grey Cup could use those extra seats when it is hosted in Toronto. As for what the temporary seating was like the last time they did that at BMO field, I sat in them for the 2016 MLS Cup final. I could see the game, but I got the sensation that I was pulling myself up to look over a fence. You can't hear the announcer/etc very well. You just seem really removed from the game, not actually in the stadium. Hopefully for the World Cup they would do a bit better job, have speakers in the temporary section, etc.

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

Plus I think just putting grass on top of the concrete floor would be awful. That trick usually doesn't do to well for one friendly game, let alone 5 games in a couple weeks.

Several of the American venues will have temporary grass. For the World Cup, they'll put the grass down in hexagonal plates rather than just rolling it out on top of the ground.

It's a much longer-lasting solution, albeit still temporary.

Rogers Centre still won't get any games as Toronto is committed to using BMO Field, but the playing surface wouldn't be a concern.

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions