2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

New pitch for the Werkself
bayer04.de 06/07/2019

The Werkself are currently enjoying a well-deserved holiday in the summer break – for the ground staff at Bayer 04 this is the start of their busiest period and they certainly have their hands full. With eight weeks to go at the BayArena before the season launch on 4 August, the masters of the turf are preparing the playing surface for the new season.

This week all the turf at the BayArena was removed and the base level below was aerated. "We have worked-in soil nutrients and that will allow the roots of the new turf to take up nutrients straightaway," explained Georg Schmitz, head of the ground staff at Bayer 04. Finally, the 1.2 metre wide and 15 metre long rolls of turf were rolled out and laid next to each other - the first cut will be made tomorrow (Saturday). The ground staff ordered the turf from Schwerin as it is particularly hard-wearing. "Theoretically, you could play on it in three days," said Schmitz but – in ideal weather conditions – it takes around eight weeks for the new playing surface to bed in. Until then, it is a question of mowing, feeding and watching.

The pitch at the neighbouring Ulrich Haberland Stadium  is also being replaced at the moment. After the turf is taken away, work will be done on the undersoil heating before the new seed is sown. The surface will probably be playable again at the beginning of September.

6 hours ago, PunjabiOil said:

A bit older article, but I believe the plan is still the same today - to go to Natural Grass for 2026.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3720284/commonwealth-stadium-to-get-real-grass-for-a-whole-year-city-of-edmonton-staff/

Then I would love that but as far as the city of Toronto goes for 2026, the only thing we more or less have to do is expand our stadium 🏟  

BMO Field in terms of expansion and renovation, if they begin on that, it probably won't be until 2023 or 2024 but even then will that expansion be permanent? I sure as hell hope so

Canada are we seen as a footballing nation? No we are seen more as a hockey or a basketball nation. However, with our men's program for football, we have more or less turned the corner in recent years. Hell, at this point we are probably in the midst of a golden generation of talent. But also helps that we are 40th in the world now but also finding ways to win games. Hence our unbeaten run so far in qualifying under John Herdman. But also should we qualify for Qatar, the interest for ️ soccer in this country will exponentially grow. Hell it already is as far as our men's program is concerned. 

Like for example, when the USA hosted their FIFA World Cup in 1994, we're they looked at as a footballing nation? No they were not despite making World Cups even before 1994. But the second they hosted, football interest in the USA especially for their men's program not only grew buy more and more money was poured into the game in their country hence the MLS being born. Then you saw not only more American born players developed but playing the game not just in the MLS but also all over Europe too. My point being that 2026 could do the same for us Canadians especially for our men's program but also seeing more and more Canadians playing in the CPL but also all over Europe too and in other leagues all over the world. Hence how Canada we could become a CONCACAF giant in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Canada makes major guarantees, including tax exemptions to host FIFA 2026 games | Regina Leader Post

Quote: "The Canadian government has signed onto tax breaks, security costs and eased travel rules in order to have the FIFA World Cup come to Canada in 2026."

Quote: "FIFA has a list of “government guarantees,” which it expects from host nations. Canadian government officials signed off on those demands in 2018, according to documents obtained through access to information"

Quote:".........The assurances provided by the Government of Canada were provided in response to the bid guarantees requested by FIFA, and are similar to those provided for past bids and major sports events,” she said......... “T

18 hours ago, Free kick said:

Canada makes major guarantees, including tax exemptions to host FIFA 2026 games | Regina Leader Post

Quote: "The Canadian government has signed onto tax breaks, security costs and eased travel rules in order to have the FIFA World Cup come to Canada in 2026."

Quote: "FIFA has a list of “government guarantees,” which it expects from host nations. Canadian government officials signed off on those demands in 2018, according to documents obtained through access to information"

Quote:".........The assurances provided by the Government of Canada were provided in response to the bid guarantees requested by FIFA, and are similar to those provided for past bids and major sports events,” she said......... “T

Pretty much gotta. All in the game.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Cblake said:

Not surprised, Commonwealth does not have a lot to offer in terms of luxury hospitality and premium amenities. Something would need to be upgraded for sure. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I suspected all along that this would be the case.  There seems to be this misconception amongst some ppl that all it takes is a CFL capable stadium, add a lawn and away you go, you are set.   No, that's not the case.   The good surfaces for soccer are not just a lawn.  Its almost a science  and you check some of the links on this topic that I posted recently.  There is a lot more to it than just putting in a lawn by adding sod.  Yes, Commonwealth was built in the mid to late seventies and it had a grass surface for most of its history, but even when it was grass it was often bumping for soccer as i noted in 2004 during the Can-Hon qualifier when I was there.

I suspect that someone within the gov't looking to fund the upgrades for 2026 might have asked:  "for the amount needed wouldn't we be better off building a brand new 25-30K stadium for just the Elks and a possible Commonwealth games bid?"   

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Speaking for myself and absolutely nobody else on these forums, I think I'd derive just as much satisfaction from not hosting any games and getting to follow our team in qualifying for 2026 as I would having a handful of matches hosted in Toronto and ?. 

Too bad we are World Cup hosts and so are USA and Mexico so we won't have to take part in qualifying for 2026...I love that we won't have to take part in it so we can see the other countries in our region like Jamaica, Suriname, Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago, Panama, Costa Rica, El Salvador, etc. try to qualify 

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Too bad we are World Cup hosts and so are USA and Mexico so we won't have to take part in qualifying for 2026...I love that we won't have to take part in it so we can see the other countries in our region like Jamaica, Suriname, Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago, Panama, Costa Rica, El Salvador, etc. try to qualify 

Wow...that was insightful. 

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

Speaking for myself and absolutely nobody else on these forums, I think I'd derive just as much satisfaction from not hosting any games and getting to follow our team in qualifying for 2026 as I would having a handful of matches hosted in Toronto and ?. 

I think that would all come down to how Canada plans it's lead up to the Cup. If they're able to bring top level friendlies to Canada and spread them around to different markets, I think that's fine. If it's a series of eastern-based friends against low level CONCACAF opponents or away games to mid-tier European teams, then that would be disappointing. 

Could definitely play Mexico and the US in some friendlies in worst case scenarios 

Qatar played friendlies in Eurpoe in 2021 against the likes of Portugal, Serbia, Ireland etc...all acceptable competition for sure....I imagine there will be some decent friendlies to lock in before that 2026 World Cup in the FIFA windows

15 hours ago, Cblake said:

Not surprised, Commonwealth does not have a lot to offer in terms of luxury hospitality and premium amenities. Something would need to be upgraded for sure. 

You may be surprised to know that Camp Nou, the biggest stadium in Europe, has poor hospitality, no premium amenities, no private boxes, crappy washrooms, some sections with old seats and very poor concessions. It's a concrete bowl for the plebes.

I don't think FIFA would ever say it is not in conditions to host a WC match. 

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think that would all come down to how Canada plans it's lead up to the Cup. If they're able to bring top level friendlies to Canada and spread them around to different markets, I think that's fine. If it's a series of eastern-based friends against low level CONCACAF opponents or away games to mid-tier European teams, then that would be disappointing. 

I mean considering we are one of the hosts for 2026 and we don't take part in qualifying for our own World Cup, then we definitely should play a lot of friendlies because if you do that, it not only keeps you fresh heading into a World Cup but also it helps prepare you for the world's best. But it also helps that in 2026, we are a Pot 1 team and for the Draw being a Pot 1 team along with the USA and Mexico almost means that we Canada could end up getting a favorable group.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You may be surprised to know that Camp Nou, the biggest stadium in Europe, has poor hospitality, no premium amenities, no private boxes, crappy washrooms, some sections with old seats and very poor concessions. It's a concrete bowl for the plebes.

Don't worry UT, your new Chinese benefactors will renovate it into a modern  35,000 masterpiece with all the bells and whistles soon enough. The locals might even start paying to get in. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But, Camp Nou has a proper surface

Our Clients | SISGrass Hybrid Grass Technology (sispitches.com)

6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I mean considering we are one of the hosts for 2026 and we don't take part in qualifying for our own World Cup, then we definitely should play a lot of friendlies because if you do that, it not only keeps you fresh heading into a World Cup but also it helps prepare you for the world's best. But it also helps that in 2026, we are a Pot 1 team and for the Draw being a Pot 1 team along with the USA and Mexico almost means that we Canada could end up getting a favorable group.

They also got invites to the Gold Cup and Copa America, so I'm hopeful that maybe a similar arrangement could be made for the Copa. Canada/US/Mexico participating would be good for everyone.

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions