2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

On 11/24/2021 at 5:29 PM, Free kick said:

You don't necessarily expect 45K for every game if you chose expand.  I think that this past season shouldn't be a barometer to judge anything because of covid and the fact that even SSH's had to actually purchase their own tickets. I didnt bother going for most games for this reason.   

Remember, for those playoff runs,  there were announced sellouts the day that the tickets went on sale. I have no doubt that they would have filled the joint with 45K or even 50K.  I see no reason to believe that that cant happen again.   Also,  for selfish reasons, adding more seats ensures a larger supply/inventory which should serve as protection against future price increases.

But honestly if it is World Cup time and it is in the summer months and out of the 48 countries there, if your country qualifies out of that 48, you can expect 45K at BMO so that won't be a problem.

I’m a bit disappointed that the BMO expansion isn’t permanent.  They could get there by filling in the corners and basically replacing the north stands with an extension of the concourse from the west grandstand level all the way around the north end.  

BMO has always looked a bit strange that the corners are not filled and the stands were all as different levels.  This would fill in and correct that aesthetic problem with the design. 

5 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m a bit disappointed that the BMO expansion isn’t permanent.  They could get there by filling in the corners and basically replacing the north stands with an extension of the concourse from the west grandstand level all the way around the north end.  

BMO has always looked a bit strange that the corners are not filled and the stands were all as different levels.  This would fill in and correct that aesthetic problem with the design. 

As I've said before. You can't truly fix BMO Field unless the Argos leave.

49 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

If BMO they build it like that for 2026, would that really be the worst thing in the world?

Well BMO does't have a circular exterior, so it won't look remotely as absurd as that. Once you're in the stadium and it's packed it wont even look out of place, it'll just look a little strange from the outside but who cares

On 11/24/2021 at 4:02 PM, narduch said:

It makes sense though. The main tenant, TFC doesn't really need more than 30,000.

Perhaps if the current TFC management didn't kill the buzz in this city that may have been different.

2026 is a long time away and I predict big media deals in the next year and a half. It is entirely possible MLS could have a $40 million dollar salary cap at that point, which would mean a league full of teams in the range of SL Benfica. That version of the league will pretty much amalgamate 80% of Canadian/American soccer consumption away from Europe and to MLS. Obviously there would still be some consumption of Euro leagues, mainly the Prem but the vast majority will switch to the North American game. 

With the above in mind, we could see some MLS clubs, Canadian ones included get in the 40,000 range for attendances, which would give reason for a more permanent solution. 

13 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The Sao Paolo Stadium in 2014 also had giant temporary bleachers on the ends.

Bleachers at Sao Paulo World Cup Stadiums

sao paulo corinthians bleachers

Were these Brazilians putting shipping containers to support the upper steel frame? That is some haphazard thinking but if it worked, who am I to question it. 

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

2026 is a long time away. Depending on the evolution of MLS and TFC specifically, MLSE could change their plans and begin to lobby for a new permanent stadium somewhere else in the city. 

Edited by Macksam

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m a bit disappointed that the BMO expansion isn’t permanent. 

Why? Do you think fans in the stadium or on TV like looking at swathes of empty seats for 95% of games played?

When BMO sells out every league game for TFC and there is a waiting list for season tickets, then we can talk about adding permanent capacity.

58 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

But then I wonder about Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton in 2026 for the summer months, if they plan on renovation for Commonwealth before the 2026 World Cup begins?

Yes,  I would imagine that there will be a vigorous discussion.   Last week,  FIFA was pretty categorical about the surface.  They said: "Change it" (see article below).  So that will cost money.  How much?  and what value is derived in spending that kind of money for just 5 games/events in the summer of 2026?.  Plus, the way things are looking now for the CFL, will there still be a CFL in 2026?  It has been a brutal year for the CFL, and not just in the usual sore spots like Tor, Mtl, Van.  

FIFA encouraged by Edmonton’s World Cup bid, but Commonwealth Stadium's artificial turf will have to go | CTV News

Quote: "Smith spoke positively to reporters about the city’s bid and presentation earlier in the day, but noted the artificial turf at Commonwealth stadium wasn’t up to World Cup standards. “Change it,” he said, when asked how the stadium’s pitch could be improved. "We play the World Cup obviously on natural grass "

Edited by Free kick

17 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Plus, the way things are looking now for the CFL, will there still be a CFL in 2026?  It has been a brutal year for the CFL, and not just in the usual sore spots like Tor, Mtl, Van. 

Much unlike the fantastic attendance TFC had this year.  Are you guys so out of touch that you think they were going to keep the present surface in Edmonton for the WC.  They'll install a turf surface for the WC and then likely keep it for the reminder of the football season. 

And frankly while I'm at it, I find it so disgustingly scummy how a few of you hope for the demise of a longtime historical Canadian league.  You think people actively campaign and hope the CPL will die?  I sure as hell don't and I don't even want to see the demise of TFC where 99%of the shit disturbing comes from a subset of its whiny "fans"

36 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes,  I would imagine that there will be a vigorous discussion.   Last week,  FIFA was pretty categorical about the surface.  They said: "Change it" (see article below).  So that will cost money.  How much?  and what value is derived in spending that kind of money for just 5 games/events in the summer of 2026?.  Plus, the way things are looking now for the CFL, will there still be a CFL in 2026?  It has been a brutal year for the CFL, and not just in the usual sore spots like Tor, Mtl, Van.  

FIFA encouraged by Edmonton’s World Cup bid, but Commonwealth Stadium's artificial turf will have to go | CTV News

Quote: "Smith spoke positively to reporters about the city’s bid and presentation earlier in the day, but noted the artificial turf at Commonwealth stadium wasn’t up to World Cup standards. “Change it,” he said, when asked how the stadium’s pitch could be improved. "We play the World Cup obviously on natural grass "

Either way Edmonton and Toronto both are in need of makeovers

38 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I think you just have to accept installing natural grass at Commonwealth as part of the cost of hosting.

Besides you can try to get some extra mileage out of it with some friendlies leading up to the Cup.

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Much unlike the fantastic attendance TFC had this year...

Did CFL clubs allow their season ticket holders to opt out of this season and keep their money for 2022 because of how the season started in Orlando and the capacity restrictions? No idea and don't really care but it may not be the same scenario and could be symptomatic of a much bigger problem because the Argos have actually been playing well this season unlike TFC.

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Did CFL clubs allow their season ticket holders to opt out of this season and keep their money for 2022 because of how the season started in Orlando and the capacity restrictions? No idea and don't really care but it may not be the same scenario and could be symptomatic of a much bigger problem because the Argos have actually been playing well this season unlike TFC.

All I'm saying is stop with the shots and you won't hear from me.

Timing wise Edmonton is not in a great position concerning their playing surface.  The artificial surface they have now Shaw Sports Turf PowerBlade Elite 2.5 system with HydroChill  was installed in May 2015.  You usually want to get 8 years out of the stuff (usually warranteed for over 10).  Even if it was replaced now, they would only get 4 years out of something new. 

A turf surface will be installed for 2026 regardless but I can't see them not replacing the plastic until 2026 (11 years)  Whatever happens it looks like they are going to have to pay for a new artificial surface that they won't get their money's worth out of.  That is good for everybody though except for the guy paying the bills.

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Timing wise Edmonton is not in a great position concerning their playing surface.  The artificial surface they have now Shaw Sports Turf PowerBlade Elite 2.5 system with HydroChill  was installed in May 2015.  You usually want to get 8 years out of the stuff (usually warranteed for over 10).  Even if it was replaced now, they would only get 4 years out of something new. 

A turf surface will be installed for 2026 regardless but I can't see them not replacing the plastic until 2026 (11 years)  Whatever happens it looks like they are going to have to pay for a new artificial surface that they won't get their money's worth out of.  That is good for everybody though except for the guy paying the bills.

Here's a thought. Switch back to grass for the next 5 years and put yourself in prime position to host a lot more national team games over that period.

2 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Here's a thought. Switch back to grass for the next 5 years and put yourself in prime position to host a lot more national team games over that period.

The problem is they already played that role and I assume they got out of it because it was too expensive or not practical vis a vis community usage.  Somewhere I posted an article about the Edmonton greenskeeper and a year in the life of CWS.  Apparently dealing with FIFA was a lot of fun, if I can find it I'll repost

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

Good article on Commonwealth Stadium

Commonwealth Stadium – Celebrating 40 years of world class event hosting
Business View Magazine March 13, 2018

Downloadable brochure

Article edited for main points

The venue officially opened in July 1978, it had a capacity for 42,000 and a natural grass turf, unlike most other major stadiums in Canada.

The venue went through a slight expansion in 1980, when the seating capacity was increased to 43,346. In 1983, the Summer Universiade Games came to Edmonton, featuring student athletes from around the world, and this time, Commonwealth Stadium was expanded significantly to accommodate just over 60,000 spectators. “That was one of the major remodels – additional wings and seating,”

Ahead of the 2001 World Championships in Athletics, featuring 1677 participants from 189 nations, the stadium received a $24-million facelift. Major investments included a new facade, an enlargement of the concourse, improved lighting, a new scoreboard, and an all-new, all-weather running track. Ahead of the 2008 season, the stadium underwent a reconfiguration, reducing its capacity to 59,537. Its natural grass was replaced with artificial turf in 2010, in order to reduce the long-term costs of annual grass substitution while providing a year round, green playing surface.

Starting in 2009, the stadium underwent a $112-million facelift, with the main investment in the Field House, a 90,000.-sq.-ft., three-story training facility which includes a 65×65 yd. artificial turf training field, a fitness and weight room, locker rooms, and a running track. It is part of the Commonwealth Community Recreation Center, which also includes a 60,000-sq.-ft. aquatics center with a four-lane lap pool, water slide and a recreational pool; 30,000 sq. ft. of administrative offices; and a 30,000-sq.-ft. fitness center. The Center has Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification. Adjacent to Commonwealth Stadium, Clarke Stadium, seating 5,000, has been used as both a training field and as the home ground of the FC Edmonton, the city’s pro soccer franchise.

In 2012, the Commonwealth Stadium initiated a seating replacement program at a cost of $12 million. It removed all benches and replaced all seating with new, wider seats, reducing the capacity of the venue to 56,302. With the addition of the seating replacement, total investment in Commonwealth Stadium, since its inception, has exceeded $200 million.

Commonwealth Stadium is a municipally-run facility, with about a dozen full-time operations and maintenance employees. “There are several other departments inside of our municipal structure that provide us with all of our trade support – electricians, plumbers, mechanical, painting, custodial,” Fesyk explains. “So, we’re probably anywhere from 20 to 50 employees onsite on any given day.”

Fesyk adds that he is currently working with those other city departments in several ways. “One is to change over all of our lighting, making sure we have the most efficient LEDs possible, to be able to provide both the quality of lighting that’s required inside the venue and for safety and security outside the venue, and also to help us reduce costs,” he states. “We also do a lot of work with the sustainability pieces within the city. We undergo regular audits on our environmental practices and we’re held to a pretty high standard. Anything that we can do, that we can investigate, we are doing at this point to try to make the stadium a lot more green, a lot more sustainable. We’re doing what we can to help divert garbage out of the landfills, recycling bottles that are left over in the stadium after events. We’re putting forth our best efforts in a lot of those areas to make sure that we’re at least on par, if not better, than most facilities our size.”

Fesyk also says that the stadium has worked with the Eskimo Football Club to increase the venue’s WiFi capacity. “We’ve put a lot of resources into that to be able to sustain connectivity and the signal strength that would be required when we have 50,000 people in the stadium for some of our major events. That was a big cost and a big piece of that came from the Edmonton Eskimos. And they have done a great job in developing their in-house app for supporting all of their game day and lead-up operations. A mid-bowl LED ribbon was also added in 2016 to enhance the overall fan experience and sponsor activations. So, we’re getting up to speed on all of our technological pieces and we’re taking a look at a lot of new and informative ways that people are utilizing their cell phones when they’re coming to an event, so that we can be better aligned from a ticketing standpoint, from a food and beverage standpoint, and from an overall customer satisfaction feel.”

Taking care of Commonwealth Stadium in the cold Canadian climate is a constant challenge, according to Fesyk. “A lot of work and effort has been put into keeping the facility looking the way it is,” he says. “But it is a 40-year-old facility and in terms of outdoor, open air facilities, that’s a pretty long life cycle. We have to work very hard on snow removal, ice cleaning; we have to do a lot of work to keep our turf in a usable condition. We’re the northernmost capital in Canada and, because of our climate, what we have to do to keep our facility up and operating is probably a lot more difficult. It would be nice if we could operate 12 months of the season, but with the weather that we get in northern Alberta, it’s very hard for us to do that. So, we do shut down the stadium at the end of the football season in November and we get everything going again, back early in May. So, there’s a lot of work for us to do between now and the beginning of May, when we’re going to be kicking off our 40th anniversary celebration.”

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

The problem is they already played that role and I assume they got out of it because it was too expensive or not practical vis a vis community usage.  Somewhere I posted an article about the Edmonton greenskeeper and a year in the life of CWS.  Apparently dealing with FIFA was a lot of fun, if I can find it I'll repost

I'm fairly sure there will be a desire for test events so I would expect grass for 2025 at the latest.  Might as well hold out with the current old surface for three more seasons.

That's true about test events, I was thinking they would go into the WC on a virgin field but what you say is true.  What's also true is they will have to play football on it for a few games (edit apparently not) but from all my turf reading and research the two main issues are

1.  Allow turf lots of time to bed in when first installed

2  Schedule events far apart  and there shouldn't be any issues

Is the date for the WC actually June 8 to July 3, is that right? 

I was thinking about the Elks playing there but their season won't even be started so they'll likely never touch the turf before the WC.

Also June 3 may not be that warm of weather in Alberta, I know here at the other end it could be iffy

Am I missing something here?

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

There is no significant community usage - the primary tenant is effectively the only tenant. Outdoor concerts - how often do they come around in Canada - and one-time major events (rugby, soccer) are the only other target field audiences. All field sports are directed to Foote Field (University of Alberta, primary HS field), Clarke Stadium (Eddies, HS Football), and sport-dedicated pitches throughout the region. There's even an unused baseball stadium for outdoor movies/parties w/ stands that hold 8,000.

Unless there's some 15,000+ spectator event that's under the radar, there's no need and has been no need recently for the field @ Commonwealth. Which is why the 6-year-old turf number is somewhat misleading.

As for the reason the beloved grass was finally given up on: not only was it expensive to re-sod every year (and maintain well in season), but the quality of the surface was poor in June (too new) and November (too frozen/beat-up). Now there was slightly more use back in the day, but not enough to convince anyone to go back to green grass in 2021. At least not for 10 football games, which is all that is "guaranteed" today.

If some organization wants to change that math, I guarantee there are people (JJ) willing to listen w/ the money to make it happen. For comparison, we spend hundreds of thousands every year to dredge, disinfect, and otherwise clean an ornamental lake to host a single triathlon race weekend. But there has to be quid pro quo; there is a 0% chance that the owner or the primary tenant has the money or interest to make that change without external stimulus (and guarantees for events).

Personally, I'd be very surprised if the current turf is replaced before November 30, 2025, without a guarantee of dates and perhaps a financial contribution from the CSA. Maybe some underlay work if it can be done w/ existing staff, but there's precious little time in the spring to make it happen w/o adding people.

As for test events - the test is of the organization and the facility. Not the turf, which would be replaced before the main event. (Think new Rose Bowl field laid every early-December.)

June 3 is fine during the day: +15 to +20 in Edmonton. Could get some frost at night, but I don't remember frost in June in the city for quite a few years. (Calgary has the scary cold day or two in June.) Still not the best weather for new sod.

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions