Joel Waterman

nolando

I only watched the 1st half and Charlotte was pretty terrible but I thought he had some poor plays.  Aside from his assist which I don’t think was intentional.  He chopped down Vargas pretty high by the knee but his trailing leg got the ball.  I think it was on the following corner kick that Waterman had a terrible header clearance to Charlotte attacker in the centre of the goal who whiffed on his shot.

Charlotte couldn’t really get anything going that first half so no one on Montreal looked poor but I can see how he’s not getting called right now with his consistent brain fart plays every game.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

As opposed to our alternatives?

I'm not particularly high on a lot of our defenders right now.  I would like to think that despite their club struggles this season, defenders like Kennedy, Vitoria and Kamal were selected for their extensive history with the men's programs over the past several years.

Edited by Corazon

One thing I took away from this summer is that our average guys look good surrounded with our top guys, but look average without them.

Waterman is very much average overall, great on the ball but bad when it comes to brain farts. 

Miller is good on the ball for MLS, but can struggle internationally against the best teams. I feel like Waterman won't have this problem. Since Miller makes brain farts himself, would Waterman be the better choice? I would like to see what he could do in a friendly against a top 20 team. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Just saw this on Twitter. No idea how accurate it is:

If Waterman makes this move he would become our CB playing at the highest level, I guess maybe because he’s a CB and only 27 he still has potential but I just don’t see it when I watch him. I don’t think this is the right thing for Piette, he should stay in MLS. I just wish it was Choinere instead

• 7 months later...

A much overdue bump all the way from page 12 for Joel. 

Maybe a good sign of his dependability and maybe an unsung hero that we haven't posted about him in 8 months!

Nice short set of quote here from his manager, choiniere and himself. He has for sure come a long way and is quietly still a potential big piece in our backline.

https://canadiansoccerdaily.com/2024/03/15/laurent-courtois-mathieu-choiniere-hail-cf-montreals-canadian-defensive-general-joel-waterman/

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

A much overdue bump all the way from page 12 for Joel. 

Maybe a good sign of his dependability and maybe an unsung hero that we haven't posted about him in 8 months!

Nice short set of quote here from his manager, choiniere and himself. He has for sure come a long way and is quietly still a potential big piece in our backline.

https://canadiansoccerdaily.com/2024/03/15/laurent-courtois-mathieu-choiniere-hail-cf-montreals-canadian-defensive-general-joel-waterman/

Certainly in the running for the middle spot in a 3, I would guess.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Waterman. I just hope we don't have to play him for Canada anymore. As @footballfreak just said, he ain't it.

I am comfortable with Waterman as a starter in MTL and as a frequently used sub for Canada but the fact he is currently in the picture for starter for Canada is a good illustration of our problems when it comes to CB...

It wasn't a red, but it could've been - when you're that far behind a guy and you just go sliding, kicking out at his heels, who knows what result you'll get?  Add to it the fact that he was one of four defenders in the frame, and it really was unnecessary...   

7 minutes ago, GasPed said:

It wasn't a red, but it could've been - when you're that far behind a guy and you just go sliding, kicking out at his heels, who knows what result you'll get?  Add to it the fact that he was one of four defenders in the frame, and it really was unnecessary...   

It was a dumb mistake but he has a good game overall. He has one of the reasons MTL survived the first half.

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

It was a dumb mistake but he has a good game overall. He has one of the reasons MTL survived the first half.

I have to agree somewhat with that too.  Positionally he was good - he played Benteke generally well and got his foot/head/body to a lot of dangerous balls.  He was not MTL's problem tonight.

Edited by GasPed