Joel Waterman

nolando

Miller had a tough game on the weekend. Lots of poor giveaways, poor passes. The team looks a shambles, and I do not have a lot of confidence in the manager, so perhaps I shouldn't be too harsh on Miller, but there were far too many mistakes from a top defender.  Also: hoping that ZBG gets a lot more playing time this year.

8 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

hoping that ZBG gets a lot more playing time this year.

CFM adding Herrera was very puzzling.  RWB was the last position I thought they needed help with.  Very bizarre, makes me think ZBG was very close to being sold.  So many holes in the lineup, while they have two top tier MLS RWBs.

I also have doubts about Losada there.  Something about a coach who makes his players run marathons his first days with them rubs me the wrong way.  Power trip?  Sending a message?  They finished 2nd dude, what is the message you're trying to send?  Starting with a punishment to declare your arrival never gets the players on your side.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Probably wants to cap tie McGraw and Bombito

I figure, but even if McGraw was 100% single-nationality Canadian, I still think you take him before Waterman because he's better (and 2 years younger). Is Bombito a dual? That's one that perplexes me, I really wonder what Herdman sees in him to call him up after a handful of MLS appearances. Especially because we also have Vitoria, Miller, Zator, McGraw, and that's also with Hiebert and Waterman at home- for a team like ours that had a lot of trouble finishing against the US, taking 4 CBs over some of our more offensively minded fringe players is a very strange move IMO, unless Bombito has this "tier 1 league potential" that no one else sees yet.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

I figure, but even if McGraw was 100% single-nationality Canadian, I still think you take him before Waterman because he's better (and 2 years younger). Is Bombito a dual? That's one that perplexes me, I really wonder what Herdman sees in him to call him up after a handful of MLS appearances. Especially because we also have Vitoria, Miller, Zator, McGraw, and that's also with Hiebert and Waterman at home- for a team like ours that had a lot of trouble finishing against the US, taking 4 CBs over some of our more offensively minded fringe players is a very strange move IMO, unless Bombito has this "tier 1 league potential" that no one else sees yet.

Might be excited about his speed and size. We need both on the backline. He has seen Hiebert so maybe he wants to see where Bombito is at. 

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Did he really "call out" Herdman? It sounds more like he simply expressed his frustration in not being selected.

It was framed to me as such before the quote.

Reading the actual quote its much more about his own feelings.

I agree with Obinna, glad he is mad, and its ok for him to say that.  On the flip side I understand why McGraw and Bombito were called.  Bombito might have a crazy up side and McGraw you need to captie while he is interested eh? Its not a bad message to send to these guys that just because you are an MLS starter its enough and you'll get regular calls.  There is Zator and Cornelius out there too fighting for a spot, with Heibert,Waterman, McNaughton all staying home they know they need to turn it up a notch or two for next go round.    

Reality is, time is ticking for all the CB's that are on the same level. (Waterman, Bombito, MacNaughton, McGraw, Zator..then there's Miller, Kennedy, and Corneilius who aren't miles better)
Soon, and very soon we should be looking to find a new CB partnership that will lead us into the friendlies we'll play in the fall (or lack thereof) . 

I seen a stat the other day about Germany under Hansi flick..24 games, 21 different CB pairings....we don't have the quality to experiment that much, so statements or performances need to be had soon, because I can't see JH rotating the pairings that often. 

• 4 weeks later...