Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

No Panama, Jamaica, or T&T.

Any idea how pots will be made up...I assume Mexico and US in one, ....Honduras...

There is a strong argument to be made that Honduras should be the 2nd seeded nation, not the USA.

Also, that St Kitts team looked strong, they could yet make it through to the final tournament. Watch out!

Edit: 

Looks like Haiti will host Barbados on Sept 21st to determine who makes it to Guadalajara.

http://www.facebook.com/fhfhaiti/photos/a.10152304888971188/10156447409446188/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, xabuep2 said:

Haiti and the Dominican Republic obtain the last two places for the pre-Olympic of  Concacaf after beating Barbados 4-0 and St. Kitts and Nevis 0-2 respectively.

And they will participate in the final phase  in Mexico with the host, USA, Canada, Honduras, El Salvador and Costa Rica.

The draw for the tournament will be announced at a later dat.

@xabuep2 I have re-posted your quote here  in this thread since it was more current and up to date.

On the 2-0 victory by the Dominican Republic (match had to go to extra-time):

http://diariodigital.com.do/2019/09/22/rd-derrota-a-saint-kitts-y-clasifica-por-primera-vez-al-preolimpico-de-futbol.html

A little detail on the 4-0 victory by Haiti:

http://twitter.com/Haititempo/status/1175939928963919872

All that is missing is the draw!

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2019 at 8:40 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The draw for this will be in December http://www.crhoy.com/deportes/seleccionados-sub-23-ilusionados-por-trabajar-a-la-par-de-la-mayor/

Let's go all in; bring in all the top guys u23 guys.

I sure hope we do. 

Now that the hex is nearly impossible, and the road to the WC22 is that much harder. I can only pray that we use this to build towards the future. 

I hope to see Davies, Millar, Miller, David, Cornelius, Fraser in this team. But this is  Canada soccer, and hope is nothing more than a thought. 

19 minutes ago, Shway said:

I sure hope we do. 

Now that the hex is nearly impossible, and the road to the WC22 is that much harder. I can only pray that we use this to build towards the future. 

I hope to see Davies, Millar, Miller, David, Cornelius, Fraser in this team. But this is  Canada soccer, and hope is nothing more than a thought. 

If a camp is used to prepare the U23 team, there is no point in calling in Davies or Millar. There is no chance they will be released for the qualifying tournament

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

If a camp is used to prepare the U23 team, there is no point in calling in Davies or Millar. There is no chance they will be released for the qualifying tournament

Well I'm going on the basis that our head coach stated that some of the best U23s will be available... I guess"the best" part is up for interpretation. 

Edited by Shway

16 hours ago, Shway said:

Gawd damn you all are hopeless!!!! 

No, its just been seen time and time again. Every Olympic qualifying tournament I have watched since the year when the 85's were qualifying, I don't remember ever having any of our best Euro prospects released. Not even the ones that were only playing with the reserves at the time

1 minute ago, deschamp86 said:

No, its just been seen time and time again. Every Olympic qualifying tournament I have watched since the year when the 85's were qualifying, I don't remember ever having any of our best Euro prospects released. Not even the ones that were only playing with the reserves at the time

Haven't we had guys released for 1 or 2 matches? Or am I confusing U-20 qualifying.

I seem to remember that.

Not sure how accurate this is, but here are players that did not play in the tournaments for their age groups. Some were getting first team minutes, and some weren't. IIRC, there was a lot of hope Edgar was going to be released but wasn't. Based on me going on Wikipedia and searching for players that fit the age group but weren't on the roster. Seems like it hasn't been as prevalent in recent years, but we did sort of go through a bit of a gap of having a bunch of players in Europe since MLS arrived in Canada. Still, that 2008 tournament...

2008 (1985)
Marcel De Jong (Roda JC)
Simeon Jackson (Gillingham)
David Edgar (Newcastle United)
Jaime Peters (Ipswich Town)
Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault (FC St. Pauli)

2012 (1989)
Adam Straith (Energie Cottbus)
Roberto Stillo (Genoa)

2015 (1993)
Fraser Aird (Rangers)

So my opinion. I think if we are really thinking long term about 2026 we try to get as many of the u23s players from the current senior men’s national team to participate in the Olympic qualifiers. Yes that includes Liam. 

My thinking is first it’s game time together to build rapport and cohesion that can only help long term. 2nd I would love to see the best of our young talent play together and third and this is personal  I would love to see us qualify  the thought of Liam participating in an Olympics For Canada Would be amazing  

I won’t pretend to understand the road to Qatar through the hex mess.(mathematically) Yes we need friendlies in March but we have enough depth now to let the youngsters play in the qualifying I looked it up but it falls on the full march international break...8 teams the two semi final winners qualify. We put in our strongest team I feel we have a good chance...

Remember, the first game and the final  fall outside of the FIFA window. So, we need to find enough players to play the first match and reinforce them with players who will play the other matches. If we have 20 players, how many playres are you willing to be called for the 3 other matches? So, I wouldn't be shocked to see some U23 players on the senior team if there is a senior camp in March, because they might not be as valuable to the U23 team if they can't be released for the full tournament. 

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

try to get as many of the u23s players....Olympic qualifiers.....that includes Liam. 
.... the thought of Liam participating in an Olympics For Canada Would be amazing...

We put in our strongest team I feel we have a good chance...

Do you believe Kilmarnock will release Liam for the full-tournament? Only part of it?

Have the CSA talked to you (or Liam) about what it will take to get guys like David and Davies available as well?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021