Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

3 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Notable CPL omissions are: Zajac, Verhoven, Baldisomo,  Hojabrpour, Attardo, plus a few others. It is nothing crazy though

D. Choiniere as well.  Mkunbilwa on Vancouver is a surprise omission for me as is Richie Ennin (FK Zalgiris) somewhat.  Busti is a surprise omission from the goalkeepers as well.  

We have a u23 pool that is around 100 players deep.  It's inevitable that a few of these guys will breakthrough in the next few years and add to the killer Ds.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

Just now, downtownordinary said:

In terms of omissions not many but Adonijah Reid would have been one, not sure how much he's played recently though which could explain it.  Axel Desjardins and Shaan Hundal being other potential omissions.

Good call!  He was our best player in U20 qualifying in 2018.  I wonder where he is?  Would be a great signing for Atletico Ottawa.

We talked about the U-23 side being CPL heavy. Out of the 50 we called, only 8 are from the CPL. I am not arguing we didn't select enough, just pointing out that I expected more to be called. Anyone else?

Perhaps it is easy to overlook some of the guys in USL and lower-league Europe...

Edited by Obinna

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We talked about the U-23 side being CPL heavy. Out of the 50 we called, only 8 are from the CPL. I am not arguing we didn't select enough, just pointing out that I expected more to be called. Anyone else?

Perhaps it is easy to overlook some of the guys in USL and lower-league Europe...

I expected more but I never really broke it down - now that I see the list there's no truly "can't miss" CPL player that wasn't named.

It all comes down to how many are on the final 20 ultimately.  I wonder if Easton Ongaro makes it.. Bair seems to be a shoo in so if he does we would have some big bodies up front. 

18 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Wow. Like the squad in General. If Cornelius and Miller stick there that fills a big hole. 

Two omissions which aren't a surprise; Scott Kennedy (who as far as we know CSA hasn't touched base with yet) and Martin Amuz (who hasn't openly committed to us anyway). 

According to Scott's dad, he is hurt again so maybe that is why he is not on the list?  Would be great if Liam Millar plays, but I have my doubts given he has a chance to play again for Liverpool if they clinch early, or in Cup play.

1 minute ago, Ivan said:

According to Scott's dad, he is hurt again so maybe that is why he is not on the list?  Would be great if Liam Millar plays, but I have my doubts given he has a chance to play again for Liverpool if they clinch early, or in Cup play.

The tournament is March 20 to April 1.  Liverpool need 4 wins to clinch the title and their 4th match is March 21... so the earliest he could get in following that is April 5 (where they play City away so not happening).  

Basically, he won't have a chance to get into a game until this tournament is over anyway and a good chunk of it overlaps with the international break anyhow.  I think he'll be there (or with the MNT) - I'd be shocked if he wasn't.

So who are the locks if healthy?

Keeper: Pantemis

Defenders: Miller, Cornelius, ZBG, Godinho

Midfielders: Fraser, Shome

Attackers: Tabla, Bair, Brym, Millar 

That's 11/20 right there.

Also, guys I wouldn't consider "locks" but they seem like they're program/TFC favourites: Okello, Nelson, Shaffelburg ...

I hope this team is free from influence and the best players are selected on merit.  LOL, who am I kidding?

Edited by CanadaFan123

7 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I believe its already been stated that Cristian Gutierrez isn't ready to commit to Canada.  The fact he didn't make the preliminary roster also makes me think we can assume he hasn't committed or perhaps wants to focus on breaking through at Whitecaps first.

Also, Diego didn't make it either right?

Extremely tough to narrow that list down to 20! Brutal in fact. I am up to what I would think are 18 locks but they could be easily interchangeable still need to add two more CB's and a fullback and CM to make the squad more balanced. 

I find it a bit weird we pick 50 but have to narrow it down to 20 by March 11. The squad won't get together until March 13th. I guess it is now a case of the CSA finding out whether clubs will allow the players to come or not?

From CSA "As an all-in-one qualifying campaign with both a pre-camp and pair of matches that fall just outside the FIFA window, several players may not be eligible for the official competition because they will not be released by their professional clubs."

GK- Sebastian Breza | ITA / SSD Potenza Calcio
GK- James Pantemis | CAN / Impact de Montréal

GK- Thomas Hasal | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

CB- Derek Cornelius | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Julian Dunn | CAN / Toronto FC
CB- Thomas Meilleur-Giguère | CAN / Pacific FC
CB- Kamal Miller | USA / Orlando City SC
CB- Callum Montgomery | USA / FC Dallas
CB- Frank Sturing | NED / NEC Nijmegen

FB- Diyaeddine Abzi | CAN / York9 FC
FB- Zorhan Bassong | BEL / Cercle Brugge KSV
FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | CAN / Impact de Montréal
FB- Kadin Chung | CAN / Pacific FC
FB- Marcus Godinho | GER / FSV Zwickau
FB- Daniel Kinumbe | CAN / Halifax Wanderers FC

M- Clément Bayiha | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Tristan Borges | BEL / Oud-Heverlee Leuven
M- Mathieu Choinière | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Liam Fraser | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Patrick Metcalfe | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- David Norman | USA / Inter Miami CF
M- Noble Okello | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Harrison Paton | SCO / Ross County FC
M- Shamit Shome | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Noah Verhoeven | CAN / Pacific FC

F- Theo Bair | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
F- Charles-Andreas Brym | FRA / Lille OSC B
F-Tajon Buchanan | USA / New England Revolution
F- Terran Campbell | CAN / Pacific FC
F- Liam Millar | ENG / Liverpool FC
F- Jayden Nelson | CAN / Toronto FC
F- Easton Ongaro | CAN / FC Edmonton
F- Jordan Perruzza | CAN / Toronto FC
F- Jacob Shaffelburg | CAN / Toronto FC
F- Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla | CAN / Impact de Montréal
F- Kris Twardek | IRL / Bohemian FC
F- Dario Zanatta | SCO / Partick Thistle FC

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021