Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

Honestly it feels like the hate towards Herdman is for 2 reasons (I could be wrong). The first being people don't like his positivity (or "spin" or "sizzle" or "bs" or whatever you want to call it) when he talks. The second being that he hasn't won a World Cup qualifier yet. The second is particularly nonsensical and is the equivalent to saying he's done an amazing job because we haven't been within a year and a half of a World Cup without being eliminated in a very long time.

My issue is that he was never qualified for the job. He didn't earn it.

35 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The MLS website agrees, listing Montgomery & Tabla as two of the MLS players with the most to gain from this tourney:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/03/16/mls-players-most-gain-during-olympic-qualifying-greg-seltzer

That's one of the very few Olympic qualifying preview articles I've seen on-line and almost no video previews on youtube of any depth or substance, its' like this tournament is being held in secret and on onesoccer, and that's about it.

Yes agree on both players but Montgomery really interest me. I’m hoping that his move to Minnesota will really benefit him . I think your going to see the Minnesota coach give him enough playing time to prove what he can do, hopefully he will have the same kind of success St.Clair had with Minnesota once he was given playing time. If Montgomery can start holding down a starting role and do well with Minnesota that would be great news for our national team. He has a chance at doing well at this tournament and impressing the Minnesota coaching staff as well , he is definitely one player I’m excited to see play I can’t say I’ve ever really watched him play.

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I dont want to derail the thread.

But to me it boggles my mind that people take issue with people who take issue Herdman's hiring.

It was a WTF hiring and we are stuck with him now for at least 1 WCQ cycle.

All good.  I'm taking the wait-and-see approach, because of what he did with the WNT.  So far, I'm not disappointed, we need to show our attacking style more, and it's nice to see a coach who won't look at a roster with Davies, David, Larin, Cavallini et al, and put out a 5-4-1 against someone like Suriname.😛

Edited by Trois Reds

10 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

The issue is that he didn’t even interview, he never should have been hired for so long and at that price. There are so many better coaches than him. So many more qualified, like Biello.... Dos Santos, there was no hiring, no process what so ever.

This is just my opinion and theory - i'm not pushing this as the documented truth. 

With Herdman, CSA knew exactly what they were getting.  A guy that can get the most out of people with the least CSA and cash involvement.  He wouldn't complain (too much) about the lack of funds and investment cause he knew that reality and they already knew him. 

What's the point in going and get a qualified coach when he'll just quit after he realizes what the conditions are like and that the CSA will just avoid organizing camps and matches.

Even with Covid, how many other countries MNT haven't played or trained as long as Canada has?  CSA used the covid excuse when others figured it out and played anyway.  That's what serious nations do. 

I understand that the Canadian govt doesn't want to invest, but the CSA has also convinced me beyond any doubt that they're more than happy to cash their cheques and do as little as possible.  Who ever does speak up will get fired.

35 minutes ago, narduch said:

I dont want to derail the thread.

But to me it boggles my mind that people take issue with people who take issue with Herdman's hiring.

It was a WTF hiring and we are stuck with him now for at least 1 WCQ cycle.

I think you answered your own query.

The fact that this is a discussion still boggles my mind. Regardless of how we feel he's with us, win or lose, until the end of the cycle.

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think you answered your own query.

The fact that this is a discussion still boggles my mind. Regardless of how we feel he's with us, win or lose, until the end of the cycle.

Not really.

Until Herdman qualifies us for the World Cup the questions of his legitimacy will dog him. And deservedly so.

His supporter's should learn to live with that.

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Not really.

Until Herdman qualifies us for the World Cup the questions of his legitimacy will dog him. And deservedly so.

His supporter's should learn to live with that.

And that's my point, so should his detractors.

It's all pointless, to tout the hiring or question it, he's here to stay. 

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

And that's my point, so should his detractors.

It's all pointless, to tout the hiring or question it, he's here to stay. 

I wouldn't say it is pointless to question it, I do agree he is not going anywhere and that may concern many of us if he doesn't produce results! I think even his detractors, myself included are hoping he succeeds regardless of what we feel about the hiring process, my bigger concern is what happens if he doesn't succeed?

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

In that case why bother even having a forum lol?

Fortunately for everyone here I don't get to determine what the topics of conversation are!

You seemed to question why people have issue with the constant discussions around JH's hiring, just trying to provide some insight into another mindset, which everyone is entitled to.

5 minutes ago, gator said:

I wouldn't say it is pointless to question it, I do agree he is not going anywhere and that may concern many of us if he doesn't produce results! I think even his detractors, myself included are hoping he succeeds regardless of what we feel about the hiring process, my bigger concern is what happens if he doesn't succeed?

If he doesn't succeed this place will implode!

The players have clearly bought into his hype, whether he is a con artist or not that is significant. Wouldn't matter if it was Mourinho in charge, the ride would be easier but the end goal would be the same. If we can't move forward with this talent and at least come close to WCQ then there will be blood and people wanting a change. 

The players need to prove their mentality has been changed and they can win more big matches. I was dissapointed in the Herdman hire but he has done little wrong imo that wouldn't have been similar with most other managers we could have hired.

He will be made or broken by whether we come through this matches and make the Oct. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, there will be tears, rage and a whole lot of digital ink spilled if that comes to pass.  

Agree but that would happen no matter who was in charge, not qualifying since 1986 and not even making the Hex since like I think 1993 will do that we really can’t blame people if unfortunately once again things don’t work out. He wasn’t the guy I would have hired but now he is the guy in charge I'm would love for him to prove me wrong . Hopefully our guys buy into what he is saying and at the very least they get into the final 8 , because if they do those games will be something we haven’t experienced in a very long time and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that fans will be able to attend.

Edited by SoccMan

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

The bigger question is what if he does succeed? I bet there will be people in here that will say it was all the players, and that we need to get a better coach before the World Cup starts.

I remain unconvinced so far but have been on record as saying I am all in if he gets the job done.  If he takes us to the promised land I will get lead the fan club. 

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

Agree but that would happen no matter who was in charge, not qualifying since 1986 and not even making the Hex since like I think 1993 will do that we really can’t blame people if unfortunately once again things don’t work out. 

With the players we have, I think things are a bit different this time.  Mind you the 8-1 thrashing hurt me in a very deep and uncomfortable place. But I think this one would sting  even more.  

Of course the mitigating factor will be the players we have at our disposal.  If we are facing fortified Caribbean teams with a depleted CMNT thanks to Euro restrictions, it would be hard to hold any coach accountable for that.  

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

The bigger question is what if he does succeed? I bet there will be people in here that will say it was all the players, and that we need to get a better coach before the World Cup starts.

Then his detractors will just shut up.

It's Greg Vanney redux 

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I remain unconvinced so far but have been on record as saying I am all in if he gets the job done.  If he takes us to the promised land I will get lead the fan club. 

That's where I'm at, of course we should all want him to succeed and if he gets us to the WC he has done so!

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

There will be a few but not many, not me that's for sure, I remember going into the 86 World Cup some hardcore football friends of mine questioning whether Waiters was the man to lead us, I thought that was absurd to even question a guy in charge of our first ever qualification!