Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Fair enough.

In this tournament, I don't fancy our chances.

The Honduras squad looks very strong on paper (stronger than ours) and the Haitian team has gotten some decent results against Haitian D1 and D2 teams.

Apparently Honduras is good but we’ll take them down.

18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Fair enough.

In this tournament, I don't fancy our chances.

The Honduras squad looks very strong on paper (stronger than ours) and the Haitian team has gotten some decent results against Haitian D1 and D2 teams.

I'd love to be there and tell them straight to their faces: not Biello, not Herdman, not the CSA or your shite flight in economy with two stopovers and everything else you learnt to whine about like a good Canadian. If you can't get us through at least to the decider, it's on you. All of you, even the ones who just came along for the ride. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fair enough. We have this blowhard as head coach and a CSA that does not let us play to gauge our worth. So for me, I'm standing here with my arms folded and saying "show me what you've got". 

And if they do I'll be happy. Same with the senior men.

Show Me What You Got reminds me of a Rick & Morty episode:

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fair enough. We have this blowhard as head coach and a CSA that does not let us play to gauge our worth. So for me, I'm standing here with my arms folded and saying "show me what you've got". 

And if they do I'll be happy. Same with the senior men.

I mostly agree with this and liked it not knowing why you referred to him as "blowhard", it doesn't matter to me, I just want results!

I really don't get the hatred for Herdman. The only game where I'd say the result was a complete disappointment was the Haiti game (and what a meltdown that was), with the US away game being disappointing but the final result the most likely one if we're honest.

What do you expect out of him when the team plays the barest of bare minimum games and the games they were obligated to play before the Gold Cup were against teams far below us? As a coach, how are you supposed to see what tactics don't work against teams that play different ways when you can't face teams that offer a challenge???? Playing the games out on Football Manager can only do so much.

Sure he might talk a big game and it may be mostly fluff, but if the players all buy in, is that really the end of the world? Isn't it ideal for courting dual nationals?

I'm not saying he's Guardiola or Klopp but the teams been in transition his whole tenure and he hasn't had the chance to put all the pieces together.

4 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

I really don't get the hatred for Herdman. The only game where I'd say the result was a complete disappointment was the Haiti game (and what a meltdown that was), with the US away game being disappointing but the final result the most likely one if we're honest.

What do you expect out of him when the team plays the barest of bare minimum games and the games they were obligated to play before the Gold Cup were against teams far below us? As a coach, how are you supposed to see what tactics don't work against teams that play different ways when you can't face teams that offer a challenge???? Playing the games out on Football Manager can only do so much.

Sure he might talk a big game and it may be mostly fluff, but if the players all buy in, is that really the end of the world? Isn't it ideal for courting dual nationals?

I'm not saying he's Guardiola or Klopp but the teams been in transition his whole tenure and he hasn't had the chance to put all the pieces together.

There you go, put the pieces together.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

There you go, put the pieces together.  

So he's used as a scapegoat for the CSA? Cuz he sure as shit isn't the one that books friendlies. Again if the players buy in what's big deal? With the CSA's lack of funding and VAST incompetence, a little fluff can't hurt.

So some good news. Looks like if the 3 can test negative once more tomorrow morning, they will be able to join the squad for drills/training. They've been conditioning separately since arriving. 

They will need one more negative on the 18th to be able to sit on the bench/participate in game 1 (they will all likely just be on the bench for the whole game). 

40 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

So some good news. Looks like if the 3 can test negative once more tomorrow morning, they will be able to join the squad for drills/training. They've been conditioning separately since arriving. 

They will need one more negative on the 18th to be able to sit on the bench/participate in game 1 (they will all likely just be on the bench for the whole game). 

What about the positive ? Will he be replaced ?

id imagine Lucas starts game 1 if possible. 

On 3/15/2021 at 10:50 AM, Gian-Luca said:

Re; leadership, I expect Cornelius to take on that role. He's played in a lot of Canada biggest matches in 2019 (I would have said 2020 except for the fact that we didn't play any big matches in 2020).

Despite that international record, he never seems to be in the first CB pairing for MDS.  

I hope a strong run of performances here changes that with the Caps.

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Despite that international record, he never seems to be in the first CB pairing for MDS.  

I hope a strong run of performances here changes that with the Caps.

They exposed him in the expansion draft over Ricketts and Teibert... they just don't rate him unfortunately. He's been a decent MLS CB imo, but I'm not sure if he'll ever get a real chance.

32 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

So he's used as a scapegoat for the CSA? Cuz he sure as shit isn't the one that books friendlies. Again if the players buy in what's big deal? With the CSA's lack of funding and VAST incompetence, a little fluff can't hurt.

Not a scapegoat, just we got all that fluff/sizzle and we are still waiting for results to match.  Its been 3 years that he has been the "top guy".   From his own wiki, He "also becomes men's national director, with responsibility for all age groups from under-14s upwards".  

He's had 2 huge pieces fall into his lap (Davies and David), and we have all expected things to get better.  He told us he could turn things around, change the culture, change it from ground up. And it all suspiciously looks the same after 3 years.   Thats why he gets a lot of hate.  If things go well in the next 2 weeks he can show that he has had a plan all along and does deserve our patience and support.  If its the shit show we are all used to at this point, he'll continue to get the hate.  You might not agree but its easy to understand.  

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

They keep saying oh JH has done a great job cultivating depth.... uhm sorry who the fuck did he develop ? It’s nice to have recruits and duals but it’s not like any other coach had Davies and David as chips. Plus the young talent and a domestic league herdman merely continued the work...

Who’s they?

2 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

They exposed him in the expansion draft over Ricketts and Teibert... they just don't rate him unfortunately. He's been a decent MLS CB imo, but I'm not sure if he'll ever get a real chance.

I forgot about his getting exposed in the expansion draft.  I'm not sure what the deal is and we didn't get any real investigation on the matter from the local msm.  

If he shows strong form in Mexico, then this may make a statement for him at club level.  

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I forgot about his getting exposed in the expansion draft.  I'm not sure what the deal is and we didn't get any real investigation on the matter from the local msm.  

If he shows strong form in Mexico, then this may make a statement for him at club level.  

He’s a young International CB, it was a tactical move more than anything to me. 

All The caps CB’s were shit, matter fact the entire defence...Jasser is a joke, Godoy overrated, Ali-I-play-where-want... the only defender who was decent was Nerwinski, and he’s not starting on any other team in the league.

Derek has time to grow, and we will see some growth this tournament. 

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

They keep saying oh JH has done a great job cultivating depth.... uhm sorry who the fuck did he develop ? It’s nice to have recruits and duals but it’s not like any other coach had Davies and David as chips. Plus the young talent and a domestic league herdman merely continued the work...

weird take... its not the job of national teams to "develop" talent, that's on clubs.. whom they spend 95%+ of their time with

Edited by LeoH037

9 hours ago, gigi riva said:

IM looking forward to se guys like Callum Montgomery to have a breakout tourney hell we need some depth at cb

The MLS website agrees, listing Montgomery & Tabla as two of the MLS players with the most to gain from this tourney:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/03/16/mls-players-most-gain-during-olympic-qualifying-greg-seltzer

That's one of the very few Olympic qualifying preview articles I've seen on-line and almost no video previews on youtube of any depth or substance, its' like this tournament is being held in secret and on onesoccer, and that's about it.

14 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

I agree with all this, and even there, Herdman's only mistake vs Haiti was playing Godinho.  

All the other attacks are unmerited.  The players seem to love and believe in his vision and message.

Mind you, Floro scarred me so bad that after him anyone looks like Klopp.  

Olympic qualifying gets postponed for a year.
World Cup qualifying gets postponed for 6 months.
U20 World Cup qualifying gets cancelled.
U17 World Cup qualifying gets cancelled.

Voyageurs reaction: "No results under Herdman for a year and a half! He needs to go!!!"

John Herdman, the worst coach in Canada's history, with a record of 12 wins and 4 losses.

Edited by Kent

Honestly it feels like the hate towards Herdman is for 2 reasons (I could be wrong). The first being people don't like his positivity (or "spin" or "sizzle" or "bs" or whatever you want to call it) when he talks. The second being that he hasn't won a World Cup qualifier yet. The second is particularly nonsensical and is the equivalent to saying he's done an amazing job because we haven't been within a year and a half of a World Cup without being eliminated in a very long time.

35 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The MLS website agrees, listing Montgomery & Tabla as two of the MLS players with the most to gain from this tourney:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/03/16/mls-players-most-gain-during-olympic-qualifying-greg-seltzer

That's one of the very few Olympic qualifying preview articles I've seen on-line and almost no video previews on youtube of any depth or substance, its' like this tournament is being held in secret and on onesoccer, and that's about it.

Its a good thing we have chief correspondent @JasonDias down there filing reports for us or we would have no idea what was happening whatsoever!  No one has reported the Covid cases yet as I've seen, and the CPL writers have listed Twardek as one of our key players.  He may not even play!