The Road to Qatar.

Binky

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Its not politics. How players get to and from games and countries, what they have to do to before playing a game, what they have to do if they get coronavirus, when they can play again. That's exactly what we're talking about here.

Here is a player(actually a group of players. 4 in total) travelled to at least 2 countries by plane in a group, played in 2 games, fully trained as well as far as we know, in the middle tested positive for Coronavirus and recovered. This all happened over a 3 week period and nobody said boo.

These are just facts. Politics have nothing to with it. If i said NHL players are tested weekly in the bubble and there hasn't been a positive test in forever long, is that a political statement? No im just stating a fact

The statement you made previously, as someone already pointed out, was not a fact. No one playing was known to have tested positive for covid. Neymar did not play the game on the 6th of August against Sochaux. Where spectators have been present, distancing has generally been maintained. I don't think a highlight clip with a camera no where near the fans gets to contradict the social distancing guidelines that are still in place. I don't think you're describing a reality that exists, and the one you are describing seems to be what you would prefer to see.

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

SpursFlu never brought up anything about politics or conspiracy theories for that matter. He is looking at the things and surmising that things are headed in the right direction as far as WCQ goes.

Are his observations wrong that things are becoming more lax?

Whether you agree or disagree with the lackadaisical approach is another matter, but as far as playing world cup qualifiers seeing things loosen up is a positive development and a step in the right direction.

I think when you say that restrictions are lax to the point that we're letting players on the field with covid, and that social distancing in the stands has been abandoned, you're making a pretty political statement when you look at how that stacks up against... actual reality.

And you wrote:

"Things don’t add up with all this stuff. Why do I have the feeling we are not getting all the information?" "

"Global pandemic serious enough to shut down World Cup qualifiers, but not serious enough to keep players out for more than a few days when they get it 🤔"

Come on. These are political statements. I'm not as opposed to mixing sports and politics as others, but I'm not the one who made previous accusations.

•  
Edited by PiedPilko

2 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

And you wrote:

"Things don’t add up with all this stuff. Why do I have the feeling we are not getting all the information?" "

"Global pandemic serious enough to shut down World Cup qualifiers, but not serious enough to keep players out for more than a few days when they get it 🤔"

Come on. These are political statements.

•  

I would also like to add that I was the one that said way back that the CPL could play their season. Based on what we knew the CPL could benefit from the vast geography of Canada and play out their season in 1 rural location. People freaked out, insulted me left and right, told me i was crazy and 4 months later what happened? I sat on my couch Saturday and watched Forge celebrate their championship in a large group, hugging, dancing, smiling without a care in the world. Is someone gonna tell me that didn't happen or im being political? I'm trying to be respectful and not insult people because I feel its the last thing we need right now but people need to stop with this bubble attitude where no reality that doesn't align exactly with the mindset they've invested in can penetrate.

I'm just talking about the cmnt playing football and using real life examples that should give us reasons to be optimistic 

Edited by SpursFlu

10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I would also like to add that I was the one that said way back that the CPL could play their season. Based on what we knew the CPL could benefit from the vast geography of Canada and play out their season in 1 rural location. People freaked out, insulted me left and right, told me i was crazy and 4 months later what happened? I sat on my couch Saturday and watched Forge celebrate their championship in a large group, hugging, dancing, smiling without a care in the world. Is someone gonna tell me that didn't happen or im being political? I'm trying to be respectful and not insult people because I feel its the last thing we need right now but people need to stop with this bubble attitude where no reality that doesn't align exactly with the mindset they've invested in can penetrate.

I'm just talking about the cmnt playing football and using real life examples that should give us reasons to be optimistic 

I love this talk! Let's have more of that!

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

I love this talk! Let's have more of that!

There you go! Nice to see you finally came around from "enough of the conspiracy bullsh!t" to embracing SpursFlu when he says "people need to stop with this bubble attitude where no reality that doesn't align exactly with the mindset they've invested in can penetrate". We are all canmnt fans at the end of the day. We all want to watch our team play and hopefully qualify for the world cup!

Edited by Obinna

We live in a world that’s within a greater world. In our world (Canada) we can clearly see that we have reacted and treated the global pandemic massively different from the other worlds (countries). Some people see the positives(me), others don’t - welcome to this beautiful country we call home.

In our world, we have to recognize that we don’t depend on football to justify our lifestyles or our economy, whereas what we see in other worlds. And that’s where football involves politics solely from a financial standpoint, where in our world it simply doesn’t exist. There’s zero urgency to influence the necessary stake holders to say that “Canada needs to play these WCQ games”, whereas we see in other countries who are taking 100M dollar losses by each passing month solely from fans not being in the stands.

So I disheartenly understand that this is the case, so my/our personal passionate sporting desires are completely different from insert country name here.

Do I think we can use the necessary protocols to safely play these games....yes. Do I think our government is willing to put a community in our world in a vulnerable position...hell no. The kickback would be detrimental. And I accept that, as much as I don’t fully agree with it.

In the end we are talking politics as they are the decision makers, whereas in another country like France - football is a decision maker, because ultimately its all about the money. - C.R.E.A.M

Football isn't the only thing in this world that makes people money. In fact its small potatoes compared to some industries. I can name a few thats doing pretty good right now. Again your perspective is coming from a point of view that doesn't seem to match the reality of what we we witness on a daily basis. It feels a bit frozen in time. My mens league in Vancouver starts in a few weeks. Should be fun, we're sick of playing the same 2 teams for the past 3 months.

Anyways I dont count on qualifiers being played this year just because to your point Concacaf qualifiers aren't a huge money maker and there is just too much fixture congestion right now. The football calendar is a dogs breakfast right now

Edited by SpursFlu

It is interesting to consider how much sway the football industry has in a place like France compared to Canada. What we are asking here is how much influence does the chief sport in a country have?

Imagine hockey for a second. Would Hockey Canada have more success than the Canadian Soccer Association in this situation? I don't think anyone knows the answer, but I suspect they would not. There is no public appetite to make an exception for any sport at this stage, hockey included. That's just my opinion.

So while C.R.E.A.M may play a role, so to does public sentiment and the Canadian public remain scared, cautious and conservative in their attitude. That really doesn't bode well for the our prospects of hosting international sporting events.

I still suspect Canada is holding things up for the region. I can imagine a scenario where we are forced to play away matches while most other teams (if not all other teams) carry on as per usual. 

22 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm trying to be respectful and not insult people because I feel its the last thing we need right now but people need to stop with this bubble attitude where no reality that doesn't align exactly with the mindset they've invested in can penetrate.

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Again your perspective is coming from a point of view that doesn't seem to match the reality of what we we witness on a daily basis. It feels a bit frozen in time. My mens league in Vancouver starts in a few weeks.

So the objective reality that you are telling everyone that they need to reconcile in their head is based on your experience in Vancouver?  Could it not be possible that other people live in different conditions and may not see things based on how your men's league is progressing?

Maybe change the royal "we" to "I" in the above statements.

My club side had three (manager, two players) test positive and the Spurs cup game was postponed because of positive tests.  Fans not getting back in any time soon here, I would think. 

New restrictions just introduced (pubs closed by 10, horror of horrors) with warnings of more coming and these lasting 6 months.

I would like to be positive about seeing some more international (specific Canadian, of course) games in the near future but to me, it is getting less likely, unfortunately. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Fans not getting back in any time soon here, I would think. 

I would like to be positive about seeing some more international (specific Canadian, of course) games in the near future but to me, it is getting less likely, unfortunately. 

But, but Canadians have to live with out fear and grow some balls to not be scared.

Thats really sad how all those players on Al Hilal died of coronavirus. The reports are a little sketchy. Was Giovinco one of them? Let me know so I can go back to smoking weed and watching Netflix. 20 straight days, Im trying to win the purple hart for bravery

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Thats really sad how all those players on Al Hilal died of coronavirus. The reports are a little sketchy. Was Giovinco one of them? Let me know so I can go back to smoking weed and watching Netflix. 20 straight days, Im trying to win the purple hart for bravery

WTF is the point of these kinds of posts?

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

You're well on your way for the purple heart of shit posting.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

At a certain point you wonder why they bother 

This was like my men’s league team the last year I played lmao. Every game we couldn’t even put out a full team. The last game we played before basically folding was 7v11, we actually scored first but the game became embarrassing and the ref just ended it early lol. 

3 hours ago, kacbru said:

You're well on your way for the purple heart of **** posting.

Hey its scary stuff. If someone lets me know I'm sick, Ill be forced to stay at home for 10 days ordering skip the dishes. I may even miss one of my beer league games. Now I know what it was like to be a firefighter rushing in to the twin towers. Im not sure how I conjure up the courage to leave my house

3 hours ago, kacbru said:

You're well on your way for the purple heart of **** posting.

Hey its scary stuff. If someone lets me know I'm sick, Ill be forced to stay at home for 10 days ordering skip the dishes. I may even miss one of my beer league games. Now I know what it was like to be a firefighter rushing in to the twin towers. Im not sure how I conjure up the courage to leave my house

5 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Probably because keepers aren't allowed to play as outfield players. 

Is that actually a rule? Outfield players can play in net but keepers can’t play out? And a person is designated a goalkeeper on the roster rather than just the game sheet for a given game? Interesting and I admit, surprising to me.

• Admin locked this topic