The Road to Qatar.

Binky

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

Is that actually a rule? Outfield players can play in net but keepers can’t play out? And a person is designated a goalkeeper on the roster rather than just the game sheet for a given game? Interesting and I admit, surprising to me.

That's not true. Any player can play in goal, or anywhere else on the pitch. The only rule is that a player subbing in as goalkeeper, whether they're entering from the bench or swapping from an outfield position, must check in with the referee when subbing.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

That's not true. Any player can play in goal, or anywhere else on the pitch. The only rule is that a player subbing in as goalkeeper, whether they're entering from the bench or swapping from an outfield position, must check in with the referee when subbing.

That’s what I thought. But I consider @Blackdude a reliable (and brief and sometimes cryptic) source of info, so wondered if at the pro level they might have rules against keepers playing out at least in some competitions.

With a few young guys emerging, some players have a resurgence, some promising dual nationals and the sheer volume of guys getting pro minutes it’s going to be very difficult for JH to choose the best mix for a 23 man roster. The starting 11 may be between about 15 guys but the depth is going to tough to choose! 

Oh how far we’ve come from Unattached FC just a few short years ago!

3 hours ago, Shway said:

Previous reports stated that Trinidad would only forfeit games during suspension as opposed to being chucked out of WCQ entirely.  Covid delaying the October matches until next year has saved them from elimination.

12 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Previous reports stated that Trinidad would only forfeit games during suspension as opposed to being chucked out of WCQ entirely.  Covid delaying the October matches until next year has saved them from elimination.

Which is good. Maybe they'll have enough sense to right their wrongs before play resumes (though I doubt it).

It's too bad because it is the players, the fans and the game that suffers in the end. T&T have been on the decline but they are still a respectable concacaf side. Our confederation is relatively weak, so we definitely don't want any of the half-decent teams sitting out. 

FIFA stated then that if there was a quarantine period of at least five days upon arrival in the country where a club is located, the players from that club didn't have to be released.

MLS currently requires players arriving from abroad to quarantine for minimum of 10 days. Canada, in which three MLS teams reside, has a 14-day quarantine period.

So what then, players from MLS Canada would not have to be released since Canada has a +5 day quarantine rule?

Actually, since the USA doesn't have quarentine rules (to my knowledge), and our teams are in the US, then fifa rules to release players would apply? Or is it league specific in this case?

MLS writing letters to Peru is good short term, but shooting itself in the foot long term. Won't that discourage internationals from Peru or elsewhere choosing MLS in the future?

The league has only recently built credibility as a competitive league that international players can choose without fearing being left off their national teams. Isn't the league kind of undoing those gains with this approach? 

I get the need to help the clubs short term, but taking on FIFA is also not good because the league is a bit of a maverick as it is, since adhering to the fifa calendar has not been straightforward.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Apparently there are a few players who asked their MLS clubs to do this for them.

Its not MLs trying to be a bully.

Yes in part they are supporting some of the players like Pizzaro who want to stay. The majority of players will want to go, I assume, so it's a mixed bag. 

I would think Diego Rossi, after finally getting selected to Uruguay, would be particularly choked if he was unable to accept because of MLS. Would be surprised if he was just okay with his long overdue call getting blocked by the league.

Screw the MLS..the big teams will just roll over the mid to lower range teams in wc qualifying. That's nice of MLS. I doubt players need the MLS to stick up for them. Im pretty certain there is a healthy dialog between players and federations right now. MLS doesn't have to pretend to be good guys, nobody believes it

I'll make a prediction. EPL owners will start the same funny business soon enough

Edited by SpursFlu

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Screw the MLS..the big teams will just roll over the mid to lower range teams in wc qualifying. That's nice of MLS. I doubt players need the MLS to stick up for them. Im pretty certain there is a healthy dialog between players and federations right now. MLS doesn't have to pretend to be good guys, nobody believes it

I'll make a prediction. EPL owners will start the same funny business soon enough

Never mind just the Premier League, many European clubs (large, medium and small) will be putting pressure on their players not to join their national sides outside Europe.  It may be self interest for them, but in this current situation, I don't agree with the clubs but don't blame them for their position.    

Edited by JamboAl
clarification

14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Never mind just the Premier League, many European clubs (large, medium and small) will be putting pressure on their players not to join their national sides outside Europe.  It may be self interest for them, but in this current situation, I don't agree with the clubs but don't blame them for their position.    

Businesses are trying to use the current situation to gain leverage over their competitors but I dont buy this notion that club football should be at odds with Fifa. International football brings so much attention to the sport and players. It also shines the light on lesser known regions and players that don't fit in the club football hierarchy. I hope the club executives don't hold the players hostage or use the current situation or use the players as pawns in an attempt to drown fifa

Edited by SpursFlu

On 9/24/2020 at 4:30 PM, VinceA said:

Sucks too that this is basically happening because the loser of the election is friends with Infantino and asked FIFA to remove the winner (a reformist) so he and his boys could get back into power.

There are still so many crooks in the soccer world that it's hard to keep track. So the TTFA officials that FIFA removed are legitimately elected and probably not corrupt?

CONCACAF has said they'll hold a Gold Cup place for T&T until Dec. 18.

Edited by Rivaldo
date

2 hours ago, Rivaldo said:

There are still so many crooks in the soccer world that it's hard to keep track. So the TTFA officials that FIFA removed are legitimately elected and probably not corrupt?

CONCACAF has said they'll hold a Gold Cup place for T&T until Dec. 18.

Yep.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, _Roberto_ said:

With the World Cup Final in Qatar set to kick-off in just over two years, on November 21, 2022, anyone considering to go and support the CMNT had better start saving now. After purchasing your airplane ticket, and if you don't want to pitch a tent in the dessert, here are some of the hotel package deals:

Packages Prices From
Group Stage, Millennium Plaza Doha, Nov 20-27 or Nov 27-Dec 4 $10,775
Group Stage, St. Regis Doha, Nov 20-27 or Nov 27-Dec 4 $12,585
Group Stage, Ritz-Carlton, Doha, Nov 20-27 or Nov 27-Dec 4 $14,095
Round of 16 & Quarterfinals, Millennium Plaza Doha, Dec 4 - 11 $9,275
Round of 16 & Quarterfinals, St. Regis Doha, Dec 4 - 11 $10,995
Round of 16 & Quarterfinals, Ritz-Carlton, Doha, Dec 4 - 11 $12,285
Follow Your Team, Millennium Plaza Doha, Nov 20 - Dec 4 $18,145
Follow Your Team, St. Regis Doha, Nov 20 - Dec 4 $21,765
Follow Your Team, Ritz-Carlton, Doha, Nov 20 - Dec 4 $24,765
Championship Final, Millennium Plaza Doha, Dec 11 - 19 $15,605
Championship Final, St. Regis Doha, Dec 11 - 19 $17,675