Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

On 3/26/2024 at 7:49 PM, Kadenge said:

I have only seen him play in  GC 2023 vs club games, but his ability on the ball in tight spaces was incredible. That would be  useful centrally as we seem to generate our attack in the final 3rd down the flanks. That would help David, receiving  the ball in space centrally vs from the wings. Curious as to why you feel he looks like a winger. Is it because his club plays him there?

I would have to see him at CM but I can see where his ability in tight, first touch, iq and ability to get open would make for a good cm.

Hes playing higher up now; looks good.

Only tuned in for part of the second half but he seems to be significantly more aggressive going forward and doesn't recycle possession as much. At some point in his half he was being pressed by two players, dropped his shoulder left and went right, sent them to the shop and started the counter. Other years he wouldn't dare to pull that off. The technical ability is more evident, you can tell this is a player growing in confidence. I also see he's second on the team in dribbles per 90, not a surprise

22 minutes ago, phresh said:

Only tuned in for part of the second half but he seems to be significantly more aggressive going forward and doesn't recycle possession as much. At some point in his half he was being pressed by two players, dropped his shoulder left and went right, sent them to the shop and started the counter. Other years he wouldn't dare to pull that off. The technical ability is more evident, you can tell this is a player growing in confidence. I also see he's second on the team in dribbles per 90, not a surprise

He’s not better than Bernadeschi but god is he more effective. 

I didn’t mind his defence but he’s a guy we should bring to Copa as his can help us in multiple spots. 

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

He’s not better than Bernadeschi but god is he more effective. 

I didn’t mind his defence but he’s a guy we should bring to Copa as his can help us in multiple spots. 

As I asked in the Hoillet thread:  who are you dropping?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Sweet assist, amazing what he can do when he’s in a forward position…

Honestly, I didn’t think he looked good overall. Firstly, the assist was a lucky deflection. As a winger, when he’s running on to the ball, he looks clumsy/off balance. His overall crossing quality was very poor.

Like I never understand the hype for this guy. I don’t see anything in his game to liken him to an Alphonso Davies or even a Luca Koleosho in terms of potential.

At best, he may turn out to be a decent MLS player but right now I can’t see him becoming anything special.

6 hours ago, anthony7 said:

Honestly, I didn’t think he looked good overall. Firstly, the assist was a lucky deflection. As a winger, when he’s running on to the ball, he looks clumsy/off balance. His overall crossing quality was very poor.

Like I never understand the hype for this guy. I don’t see anything in his game to liken him to an Alphonso Davies or even a Luca Koleosho in terms of potential.

At best, he may turn out to be a decent MLS player but right now I can’t see him becoming anything special.

Have to agree even last night he had opportunities to do much more , pick better options where chances would have been created instead time after time last night he just couldn’t create much from his time on the ball. Moreover, I see this from him almost every game he plays , I’ve never seen the potential in him and wonder what all the hype about this kid is all about . I seriously don’t see him having much effect even playing in the CPL. He is still only 19 and hopefully he proves me wrong.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Have to agree even last night he had opportunities to do much more , pick better options where chances would have been created instead time after time last night he just couldn’t create much from his time on the ball. Moreover, I see this from him almost every game he plays , I’ve never seen the potential in him and wonder what all the hype about this kid is all about . I seriously don’t see him having much effect even playing in the CPL. He is still only 19 and hopefully he proves me wrong.

I honestly feel like I’m taking crazy pills everytime I open this thread. I’ve been saying the same thing for 3 years. Hopefully I’m spectacularly wrong, but I see nothing to be excited about.

8 hours ago, anthony7 said:

Firstly, the assist was a lucky deflection.

I only saw the one highlights but I thought he was trying to hit a far post curling shot with that play.  I can't comment about the rest of his play last night.

don’t think Davies hype is fair, and I mean it’s early on Koleosho as well.

I’ve watched all of tfc’s game and Bernadeschi is an anchor, he kills way more than he creates. He’s always ignoring his teammates who are open in better positions in order to do it himself, i have seen multiple occasions of Rutty or someone getting ignored in space.

Rutty has played wing back all year, so I went and looked up some analytics and I’m not great at reading these but:

https://fbref.com/en/players/b9459f85/scout/365_m2/Jahkeele-Marshall-Rutty-Scouting-Report#coverage

if you swap between FB and M categories, he’s got some solid comparable and at the least is a very solid FB it seems, and as a midfielder he’s comparable to our very own Kone.

Again there’s different contexts, but not shabby at all.

28 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I’ve watched all of tfc’s game and Bernadeschi is an anchor, he kills way more than he creates. He’s always ignoring his teammates who are open in better positions in order to do it himself, i have seen multiple occasions of Rutty or someone getting ignored in space.

I saw a lot of that in Vancouver last week.  Unless the other Italian is on the field, it's almost as if he disdains passing to the other younger guys, though he did make the right pass at the right time to Kerr on his good chance stopped  by Takaoka and the post.

14 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I saw a lot of that in Vancouver last week.  Unless the other Italian is on the field, it's almost as if he disdains passing to the other younger guys, though he did make the right pass at the right time to Kerr on his good chance stopped  by Takaoka and the post.

It’s really brutal, TFC aren’t very good.

Petretta and Rosted are just not the right quality, especially for what they are paid. Franklin should play more IMO.

at CM, Thompson and Coello are bench players, I actually think Coello is brutal and I don’t see what Herdman sees in this kid.  Oso has been ok but he’s being asked to play a role that doesn’t suit him at all. It’s early to judge longstaff.

Flores has been very good and this team is definitely missing Laryea and Insigne, don’t think that will change everything as they just don’t create centrally. There’s some pieces in place but I mean it’s a poorly built squad. 

What sucks is Franklin, Kerr and Rutty will all end up glued to the bench once Insigne and Laryea come back. I’d argue this 3 would be more effective than then Coelleo’s Rosted’s, petretta’s and Owusu’s if played enough in the right position. 

9 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

It’s really brutal, TFC aren’t very good.

Petretta and Rosted are just not the right quality, especially for what they are paid. Franklin should play more IMO.

at CM, Thompson and Coello are bench players, I actually think Coello is brutal and I don’t see what Herdman sees in this kid.  Oso has been ok but he’s being asked to play a role that doesn’t suit him at all. It’s early to judge longstaff.

Flores has been very good and this team is definitely missing Laryea and Insigne, don’t think that will change everything as they just don’t create centrally. There’s some pieces in place but I mean it’s a poorly built squad. 

What sucks is Franklin, Kerr and Rutty will all end up glued to the bench once Insigne and Laryea come back. I’d argue this 3 would be more effective than then Coelleo’s Rosted’s, petretta’s and Owusu’s if played enough in the right position. 

I'm not big on Franklin's ceiling at the moment.  He's just just another guy with limitations but a lot of hustle (too much, at times, because he is prone to ball chasing and losing his positional assignment).  

Kerr I like, especially what he showed in Vancouver.  

Find a way to get Bernadeschi moved in the summer.

It does seem strange to me that a 19-year-old who has scored once and set up two other goals thus far this season on an injury-riddled offensively-challenged MLS team is now being deemed to likely never even be good enough to get off a CPL bench. Not sure how the logic works there, perhaps I haven't watched enough CPL games recently and I guess it has surpassed MLS in quality or something?

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It does seem strange to me that a 19-year-old who has scored once and set up two other goals thus far this season on an injury-riddled offensively-challenged MLS team is now being deemed to likely never even be good enough to get off a CPL bench. Not sure how the logic works there, perhaps I haven't watched enough CPL games recently and I guess it has surpassed MLS in quality or something?

And he’s been a stop gap at full back this whole time