The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

He isn’t having a great game.  Not bad, but not great. Some sloppy plays and a bit of time where he seems like he is caught between offence and defence.  

Bayern are definitely being made to work hard but it seems like a combo of Hoff taking their chances then defending well, and Bayern just not being very fluid.  

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Only until he plays LW for Bayern can he be considered to play their for Canada.

He already proved how efficient he is for Canada at that position when he terrorized, exhausted and made a mockery of the USMNT defense when he played there. They were terrified of his speed and being caught by the counter while just not being able to keep up with him.

I was streaming the return game on Fox and even the announcers said that Canada gave a MASSIVE gift to the US by playing him LB. Their mid and forwards pressed us much harder and we caved early. We have enough talented fullbacks to play him there and overload any CONCACAF midfield (save Mexico) with skills and speed.

1 minute ago, El Diego said:

I know they are going up against possibly the best team in the world, but Dortmund are a joyless watch. Far cry from the Klopp days.

Bayern are also missing like four starters too. I guess no Sancho for Dortmund but they are so far off Bayern that league is wrapped up already. 

I am wondering about Davies role in the team.  There are times when he almost seems like a hybrid midfield/back, because he often doesn't sprint back on defence when the opposing team is on a fast break.  I don't know if that is due to tired legs, a mental hangover after winning everything, or by design where he has been told to focus more on attack.  I assume if it isn't part of the strategy, the coach would address it - but I have seen the same thing a bunch so far this year.  It just seems weird to watch him strolling back when he is a player that actually has the capacity to sprint back and disrupt an attack.