Jonathan David

Vince193

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

18 years old and already making a case to become a starter on a solid European team... with all the hype around Davies many of us overlooked him, and now he is surprising many of us. I am 100% convinced Herdman needs to call him up and cap him come September

Not sure we overlooked him - it is more that he came out of no where.  Wasn't he playing as an Ottawa-based amateur just a year or two ago?

Regardless, he seems to be an amazing revelation this year.  Great for him, and great for us.

44 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I meant overlooked him in the sense that hr hasnt had the same hype as Davies (which is understandable), but honestly between Larin, Cavallini, and David, I genuinely think David has the much higher ceiling. He is already competing at a higher level than either of them were when they were just 18

Larin scores 17 goals in MLS as a 20 year old rookie.  MLS is better than the Belgian First League.  I realize David is 2 years younger but they have similar talent levels.  Even still Larin was the most exciting young player to come up for us in a decade.  We were all so incredibly stoked.

David is truly impressing and I’m surprised how incredible his emergence has become. 

Larin is more of a target man where David is more of a 2nd striker type.  

We’re starting to get almost an embarrassment of riches at our attacking positions now with the emergence of David to go with Davies, Larin, Hoilett and even Osorio from an attacking midfield spot.  I wonder if Herdman can bring it all together and create a true attacking scheme with the talent we now suddenly have.

48 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

... between Larin, Cavallini, and David, I genuinely think David has the much higher ceiling. He is already competing at a higher level than either of them were when they were just 18

This might be the unfashionable opinion, but I still think Larin has the highest ceiling/potential. Being strong and 6'2 can be an added benefit, in addition to great finishing.

28 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Larin scores 17 goals in MLS as a 20 year old rookie.  MLS is better than the Belgian First League.  I realize David is 2 years younger but they have similar talent levels.  Even still Larin was the most exciting young player to come up for us in a decade.  We were all so incredibly stoked.

David is truly impressing and I’m surprised how incredible his emergence has become. 

We’re starting to get almost an embarrassment of riches at our attacking positions now with the emergence of David to go with Davies, Larin, Hoilett and even Osorio from an attacking midfield spot.  I wonder if Herdman can bring it all together and create a true attacking scheme with the talent we now suddenly have.

He has to be the happiest CMNT manager in quite a while. 

32 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

The problem is we get a couple injuries or refusals and suddenly we have Tosaint Ricketts instead of David/Larin/Cavallini... it's really important to play matches and keep these guys involved/happy.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

MLS is better than the Belgian First League

Based on what metric exactly? Anderlecht and Brugge could arguably mop the floor with the best of MLS teams, and their players occasionally see UCL and Europa League action. And sure Larin is physical, but now that he is competing in Turkey a lot of his technical limitations are coming to light, and he seems to struggle with hold up play against stiff opposition. Larin dissapears when he isn't getting service

Edited by LeoH037

7 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Someone on this board had said to watch out for David.

It’s been known since before the u17 qualifiers in 2017. Usually we have 2-3 guys to watch and I know that when Davies missed we had voyageurs saying David was just as good.  Credit to whoever that was.

2008 was a great attacking generation that couldn’t score.  Let’s hope this is the team that turns us into something special but that comes down to Herdman.  I think at this point he’s obliged to find a formation that has 2 strikers on the pitch, at least as an alternative for matches where we need to take the game to the opponent.

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Based on what metric exactly? Anderlecht and Brugge could arguably mop the floor with the best of MLS teams, and their players occasionally see UCL and Europa League action. And sure Larin is physical, but now that he is competing in Turkey a lot of his technical limitations are coming to light, and he seems to struggle with hold up play against stiff opposition. Larin dissapears when he isn't getting service

With Larin I think it's less about him disappearing and more about his game relying on service. He's not going to drift out wide and take guys on. That's just not what he's about. He's about poaching goals and I am fine with that. Sure, i'd like his game to round out, but the fact we have a 23 year old scoring and getting regular minutes at Besiktas is enough to leave me satisfied, personally.  

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Here are the highlights.. nice that it went in but I think some here are exaggerating how nice of a header it was.  

I watched the game on stream.  They showed  a slow motion closeup of David on the header which you don't see in this video.  He could have met the cross head on and just try to power it past the keeper into the net but he flicked it towards the far post instead.

Luckily for us we don’t have to make this a Larin vs David thread.  I think they will complement each other well.

I think with Hoilett, Arfield and Osorio providing service to Larin, David and Cavalini with Davies terrorizing teams down the side we could put up some crooked scores against mid level CONCACAF teams and start to give the top 6-7 teams a serious run for their money.  

Many of the top Panama and Honduras players are moving on after the WC.  There’s an open window for the 4th best team in CONCACAF just as we are starting to get a huge group of talent hitting their primes.