Jonathan David

Vince193

Gent not really able to get possession of the ball. David hasn't had many touches.

Edit: Won't get much better. Eupen player dove, pretty weak yellow card off of that was a second for the guy, putting Gent down to 10 men. I think this'll be the first game David doesn't score 

Edited by tyler453

Gent awarded a late penalty after VAR, not sure whos taking it yet, KAS going crazy.

Edit: As I expected David didn't take it. 3-2 Gent

David receives a late booking for a shove not long before the final whistle, his first yellow card as a pro. That's all for his day, playing the whole second half.

Edited by tyler453

Subs on in the 75th vs Bordeaux in Europa league qualifying. Played well in limited time, had several touches and made two nice passes within the box. Gent hit the post late but the game ended 0-0. Bordeaux had a man sent off in added time. He didn’t score but is still deserving of a call up for the game va. USVI.

Edited by Strait Red

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

Subs on in the 75th vs Bordeaux in Europa league qualifying. Played well in limited time, had several touches and made two nice passes within the box. Gent hit the post late but the game ended 0-0. Bordeaux had a man sent off in added time. He didn’t score but is still deserving of a call up for the game va. USVI.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like he held his own against a ligue 1 club. Very promising. Easy to forget he us 18.

I am enjoying watching him, Larin and Arfield in Europa. I hope they all advance.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for the report. Sounds like he held his own against a ligue 1 club. Very promising. Easy to forget he us 18.

I am enjoying watching him, Larin and Arfield in Europa. I hope they all advance.

Bordeaux is a decent side, but Gent should have won the game. I hope they all advance as well and TSN shows the games again, I would rather watch on tv rather than a grainy feed with commentary in Dutch. ?

15 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I read that before, so not a single europa/champions league game will be televised? Looks like I'll be missing almost every match :(

Dazn has great value for what you’re buying. Especially if you’re into the NFL

That logo... from the clubs website:

"The population of Ghent associated this circus, which visited Ghent in both 1895 and 1906, with the Sioux tribe and the conspicuous feather headdresses worn by the Indian chiefs who performed in the circus together with Cody the cowboy. That is the story of how the image of a Native American was introduced into the sports culture of the city of Ghent."

My goodness.

7 hours ago, RJB said:

That logo... from the clubs website:

"The population of Ghent associated this circus, which visited Ghent in both 1895 and 1906, with the Sioux tribe and the conspicuous feather headdresses worn by the Indian chiefs who performed in the circus together with Cody the cowboy. That is the story of how the image of a Native American was introduced into the sports culture of the city of Ghent."

My goodness.

Better than the story behind the Chicago Blackhawks logo :)

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

How so? The Black Hawks were named after an American military battalion and the owners wife chose a Native American warrior to represent that fighting spirit. Much better than a circus character imo at least.

I was actually being sarcastic as I expected there was no real backstory behind Chicago's logo. Boy was I wrong!

Pretty neat story btw. Thanks!

In any case, both logos are rather innocuous. 

Edited by Obinna

11 minutes ago, Macksam said:

All of the above logos are fine imo. The only one where an argument can be made about causing offense is the Cleveland Indians logo. In my opinion, it looks like it could come from a derogatory world war 2 style propaganda poster. 

Agreed. The gent logo is not exaggerating anything in a way that would cause offense, like Cleveland. It is capturing that look in a far more accurate and respectful way.

If you find that logo offensive, it's not because the design of the logo itself is offensive. It isn't. It's about something else...

Anyways, back to football.

Gent  play Lokoren on the weekend. They are 14th in the table and Gent are 7th. Great chance to pick up some points.

I wonder if this will be the game David gets a start?

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. The gent logo is not exaggerating anything in a way that would cause offense, like Cleveland. It is capturing that look in a far more accurate and respectful way.

If you find that logo offensive, it's not because the design of the logo itself is offensive. It isn't. It's about something else...

Anyways, back to football.

Gent  play Lokoren on the weekend. They are 14th in the table and Gent are 7th. Great chance to pick up some points.

I wonder if this will be the game David gets a start?

As a FN guy I disagree strongly. Regardless of how respectful the intent might be, you shouldn't use someone's else's culture as a "look" or a costume or a logo. Imagine if it were the picture of a stereotypical Nigerian or Dutch guy. It doesn't keep me up at night, but I wouldn't hope most people would have more imagination and understanding. I noticed all the headdresses at the World Cup this summer in various countries' colours as well and thought dear God, this had better not happen in 2026. It would be so embarrassing. 

Anyways, I couldn't say nothing in response, but really this topic is better left to Macksam's other thread than here.