Jonathan David

Vince193

I love his ability to play the ball and finish with either foot, and his balance and flexibility.  He is able to take his chances efficiently in small windows of time without needing many touches.  I have a feeling he will score a lot of goals that are not highlight reel Alphonso Davies types but just simple well-taken goals where only a serious soccer fan can understand how much skill and poise it took to make the right run at the right time and turn the body in such a way and take the shot smoothly with either foot to make it a simple goal.

His ability to move up and down the field definitely provides a different aspect than Larin.  Combined with Davies he would help give some bite to a Canadian counterattack that has generally been pretty toothless.

“I have special players in my team who are eligible. Jonathan David is one of them. He is Canadian international (U18), trains now but will soon be returning to Canada to finish his studies. He is eligible to play from January, but he also gives a very strong impression. Then we have another Canadian, Federico Mendes-Peña. He has a very technical profile and played a lot of futsal in Canada, so we are trying to transform him into a field player. But on offensive level he has a huge action in the feet. There are of course still work points but the will to learn is there. "

Anyone know who Mendes-Pena is? This is from last years match program.

Edited by Keegan

2 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Good find. Mendes-Pena is an Attacking Mid. born in '99. Eligible for Canada and El Salvador.

http://www.football-talents.co.uk/Federico_Mendes_Pe__a-3_7-353166-2.html

Also Trinidad and Tobago.. I found him from David’s Instagram but his profile now says Standard Liège (and has trini, Portuguese and Canadian flag).  Can’t find anything on him being at standard but his profile pic looks to be him playing a match. 

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I love his ability to play the ball and finish with either foot, and his balance and flexibility.  He is able to take his chances efficiently in small windows of time without needing many touches.  I have a feeling he will score a lot of goals that are not highlight reel Alphonso Davies types but just simple well-taken goals where only a serious soccer fan can understand how much skill and poise it took to make the right run at the right time and turn the body in such a way and take the shot smoothly with either foot to make it a simple goal.

His ability to move up and down the field definitely provides a different aspect than Larin.  Combined with Davies he would help give some bite to a Canadian counterattack that has generally been pretty toothless.

The best part of it all right now, me thinks, is that his team mates at KAA Gent seem to really trust him. Look at that laat goal, and its obvious that the wide player was looking for him to make the pass, confident that David would bury it

11 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Be honest, who here has actually seen him play with Gent?  I love the insight but have to admit I haven’t seen anything outside  of highlights.  At 5”9 and as a clinical finisher he definitely seems to be something different than what we have..

I watched his last game, but waited for him to come on before I tuned in, as I was watching the Besiktas game in the meantime.

Once David had entered his game, Larin had already subbed out, so my attention was firmly on the Gent match and specifically on David, of course.

He really didn't have that many touches, so what you see in the highlights is, more or less, what I saw.

I wasn't really looking at his off the ball movement or defensive positioning or anything like that, because once he scored I rushed on here to celebrate and didn't pay a great deal of attention thereafter. I was too happy that he scored. Again!

Edited by Obinna

That being said, my early impression is that he is well rounded. Good at everything, but not exceptional at anything, aside from finishing. 

His pace is good, but not exceptional. His agility is good, but not exceptional. His ball control and awareness is good, but not exceptional....etc.

Keep in mind though, that is in the context of Gent, perhaps the best team in Belgium outside the big 3. 

I suspect that he'd look better in all of the aforementioned areas if compared to other strikers in our NT.

Edited by Obinna