CPL General

22 minutes ago, PaulV said:

I've always assumed at this level, similar to USL, most players are on one year contracts and very few, if any, are on long term ones. It's expensive to tie up players who might amount to nothing unless you have a lot of money to risk. How do you get to be a "selling league" in this environment?

I believe USL had a combined transfer income of $0 last season. 

8 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Not CPL but huge news on PLSQ side..Gatineau is out..and negotiations are ongoing for keeping Dynamo de Québec

http://justesoccer.com/quebec/plsq/le-fc-gatineau-quitte-la-plsq-pour-lontario/

Oof. That's a rough loss for the PLSQ.

Hopefully, Dynamo will continue. Not really seeing any word on expansion at this point either.

Definitely some concerning news for the D3.

Edit: The OCSL is the Ottawa Carleton Soccer League. It's a significant drop from PLSQ.

If, and it's a big if, MLS stop at 32, there will be a lot of very large American cities left on the outside looking in. At that point if soccer continues to grow in the way it did over the last decade, the USL Championship can be expected to become a significantly stronger league than it is now, because future emerging Cincinatti and Sacramento type franchises will be hanging around.

14 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If, and it's a big if, MLS stop at 32, there will be a lot of very large American cities left on the outside looking in. At that point if soccer continues to grow in the way it did over the last decade, the USL Championship can be expected to become a significantly stronger league than it is now, because future emerging Cincinatti and Sacramento type franchises will be hanging around.

I disagree with this completely. There is no upside for USL to keep losing its better markets. The only league who benefits from that is MLS.

How valuable are minor league teams in the other major leagues (NBA, NHL, etc)?

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Oh yes, I can see this as a glass half full kind of thing for USL.  If a few more teams folded that might bode even better for long term league strength.  And I would say the same thing if a CPL team folded, its actually good for the league.  😒

Don't understand that. It might be true if there was a big TV contract that could be shared among fewer teams but it's mainly a gate driven league. A team failing is pretty much independent from any other team in a different city from what I can see. More teams enable it stay a regional league (which they are also trying to do at League One level by adding teams); they understand that a national league at that level is not workable. It's also not like hockey where you have to worry about talent dilution. There are so many players in the global pool that you can stock teams easily enough.

3 minutes ago, PaulV said:

Don't understand that. It might be true if there was a big TV contract that could be shared among fewer teams but it's mainly a gate driven league. A team failing is pretty much independent from any other team in a different city from what I can see. More teams enable it stay a regional league (which they are also trying to do at League One level by adding teams); they understand that a national league at that level is not workable. It's also not like hockey where you have to worry about talent dilution. There are so many players in the global pool that you can stock teams easily enough.

I should have put a winking emoji.

Throw in the fact that all of the other major US leagues have topped out around 30 teams and I see no reason to think that MLS would somehow manage to justify expanding beyond that.  It’s not like soccer is such an overwhelmingly popular sport in the States that they can crank out more support than baseball or football.  

a real shame about FC Gatineau but even I was barely aware of their existence and they are a 15 minute drive from my house. It is frankly not at all shocking that players had to pay to play just to keep the club afloat.  I suspect the intentions were good but the economics just don’t work when people only know of one team in the region.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

Again, the point is that the league is a dead end for Ottawa.

They aren't ever getting in MLS and the USL franchise have no intrinsic value other then to fill the league coffers with expansion fees. Teams don't get sold and moved to other markers. They fold or drop down a division.

The Fury will not drop down a division.  The way the teams are spaced out in USL League One, the travel costs would be even higher than in the USL Championship or the CPL.  

Hope I’m wrong but there is only a minuscule (less than 5%) chance that the Fury wind up in CPL next season.  2021 is the next moving target and even then I predict it’s at best 50-50 (just gut feel).