Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Borges is rumoured to have opportunities in the January transfer window.  He’s leading the league in goals and co leading in assists.  

Undoubtedly losing him would be difficult for Forge to replace and help bring them back to the pack.

I was at the TFC game last night (thrilling game, most fun I’ve had at a TFC game) and I kept thinking they would be much better with Borges on the wing.  

I was actually watching the game, and a few other TFC games throughout the year, and kind of wondered how Borges would fit in, I go back and forth about it. I sometimes feel he'd be a bit of a square peg and that TFC's wingers seem to be more about speed and "blind" crossing, whereas I feel Borges is a little more methodical and skilled. I think the difficulty Borges will face with another team is that he won't be the focus of the attack with another team and won't be given the flexibility he's given with the Forge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Borges gets a lot of his goals drifting in when the balls on the other side (also penalties).

The speed and blind crossing was driving me nuts last night because they lost possession so much.  3 times Benezet crosses into an area with no TFC players and 1 or 2 DC players.  Endoh similarly seemed to run down the field mindlessly and not look up until else was in trouble.

Borges does lots of runs, but I could easily see him linking up back and forth with with the CM or DB down the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed a while back that there seemed to be more scoring in the Fall season than the Spring season. I decided to wait for the end of the Fall season to check the numbers. This also relates to what Clanachan was saying in that recent article that I think was posted in the new teams thread, an article by someone in Halifax I believe, where he talked about trying to raise the number of goals scored in the league.

Spring season 2.14 goals per game

Fall season 2.75 goals per game

Combined 2.53 goals per game

For a point of reference, since we love to compare ourselves with Americans, MLS this season was 3.04 goals per game.

That's a nice bump up from Spring to Fall. Anecdotally I found the Fall season to have more entertaining games than Spring, but maybe that has more to do with my team (York 9) being 6th in the Spring and 3rd in the Fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kent said:

That's a nice bump up from Spring to Fall. Anecdotally I found the Fall season to have more entertaining games than Spring, but maybe that has more to do with my team (York 9) being 6th in the Spring and 3rd in the Fall.

I would agree, strictly my opinion but it did seem like there was more flow to the games I saw.  Which should be expected, but its still nice to see.  There werent many games that were painful to sit through, except when you are losing 8-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Big_M said:

 

Definitely getting some Deja Vu here! This debate does seem to keep coming back.

1. Football is the most popular sport in the world and the vast majority of the biggest football nations do not use play-offs to decide their champion. So, quite clearly, the no play-offs model works.

2. There is no reason that North American fans cannot embrace the "best league record" as the way to crown your league champion.

3. Every football match is a "meaningful" event in its own right, if you enjoy the beautiful game.

4. When you introduce play-offs you automatically devalue regular season matches. Without play-offs, every point counts. With play-offs, those points get chucked in the bin when the play-offs start.

5. With play-offs, all you do is move the line. With no play-offs, the line is immediately below the top team. Everybody is trying to get above the line into 1st place. If you don't appreciate a football match for its own sake you can say that the teams lower down have nothing to play for. But if you had, say, a 4 team play-off, then you draw the line beneath the 4th team and suddenly those near the top now have nothing to play for because they are already in. Play-offs or no play-offs, there is only one line and only a few teams are typically in the battle to climb above it.

6. Play-offs are effectively "cup football". So have a knock out competition IN ADDITION to the league and you get the best of both worlds! Crown your league champions based on points and ALSO have a Cup Final to end the season. Two trophies would be GOOD!

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How on earth does he think they are following a European or FIFA model when they have an apertura and a clausura season and there is no relegation? How can he possibly think they do not have playoffs when they are forcing the Cavalry to play the Forge home and away even though they already won both seasons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:
 

How on earth does he think they are following a European or FIFA model when they have an apertura and a clausura season and there is no relegation? How can he possibly think they do not have playoffs when they are forcing the Cavalry to play the Forge home and away even though they already won both seasons?

I'm not one of those to have a beef with you but on this one, I'll call you out and say you're being a bit petty.  Last time I checked Mexico & Argentina were in FIFA and they have an apertura and clausura.  I think it's okay to discuss the merits of no playoffs and a split season, but this has been season one and this is the North American market.  Discuss that instead and not the source of the discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The part that's relevant to FIFA is the no relegation bit. Even if they reach 16 they only appear to be talking about splitting into two divisions rather than having promotion from below as is the normal way of doing things under FIFA.

https://medium.com/@terryblaw/does-u-s-soccers-league-set-up-violate-fifa-rules-ceec15f54244

...This system is not a mere gimmick. Indeed, FIFA has enshrined promotion and relegation in its rules. That is, FIFA statutes mandate that “entitlement to take part in a domestic championship shall” be determined by promotion or relegation based on “sporting merit.” And soccer’s world body has defended the concept with vigor, lauding it as the “very essence of football.”...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Even if they reach 16 they only appear to be talking about splitting into two divisions rather than having promotion from below as is the normal way of doing things under FIFA.

You're truly acting in bad faith. How many times does CPL needs to say it wants pro/rel for you to understand and stop beating at dead horse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lofty said:

6. Play-offs are effectively "cup football". So have a knock out competition IN ADDITION to the league and you get the best of both worlds! Crown your league champions based on points and ALSO have a Cup Final to end the season. Two trophies would be GOOD!

excited lets go GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

End of conversation. Learn some manners if you want to get a reply.

If that shuts you up

You're truly acting in bad faith....

You're truly acting in bad faith....

You're truly acting in bad faith....

You're truly acting in bad faith....

You're truly acting in bad faith....

You're truly acting in bad faith....

You're truly acting in bad faith....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I'm not one of those to have a beef with you but on this one, I'll call you out and say you're being a bit petty.  Last time I checked Mexico & Argentina were in FIFA and they have an apertura and clausura.  I think it's okay to discuss the merits of no playoffs and a split season, but this has been season one and this is the North American market.  Discuss that instead and not the source of the discussion.

Nope. Argentina is a single home and away league. It used to have an Apertura and Clausura, but River Plate's relegation changed things a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lofty said:

6. Play-offs are effectively "cup football". So have a knock out competition IN ADDITION to the league and you get the best of both worlds! Crown your league champions based on points and ALSO have a Cup Final to end the season. Two trophies would be GOOD!

I agree. The A-League has this and I think the MLS does as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ingham said:

Nope. Argentina is a single home and away league. It used to have an Apertura and Clausura, but River Plate's relegation changed things a lot. 

Thanks.  I stand corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...