CPL General

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

But isn't the league administration itself made up of the team owners?  I can't see CPL being so high and mighty after one season that it would be forcing teams to adopt a rule that didn't have general endorsement. 

I'd be curious how many ownership groups need to be in agreement for a rule like this to pass

57 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

This league isn't just about player development, it's about building footballing infrastructure, buildings, coaches, officials, & media.  Winnipeg will be well served by both these men if they can transition into non-playing football careers. 

Can't believe they wouldn't have a ton to offer Canadian footie after they hang up the boots.

Agreed. Just off the top of my head there are a number of former TFC players that have added to the infrastructure in the Toronto area alone. Danny Dichio (TFC academy coach), Steven Caldwell (Oakville Blue Devils president), Jon Conway (TFC Goalkeeping Coach), Milos Kocic (Goalkeeping Academy). Even Nick Soolsma ended up going to BC and getting involved in coachin gout there

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

Agreed. Just off the top of my head there are a number of former TFC players that have added to the infrastructure in the Toronto area alone. Danny Dichio (TFC academy coach), Steven Caldwell (Oakville Blue Devils president), Jon Conway (TFC Goalkeeping Coach), Milos Kocic (Goalkeeping Academy). Even Nick Soolsma ended up going to BC and getting involved in coachin gout there

Even Bent, Dunfield Brennan (if we are including CDN) are guys that might have ended up elsewhere post carer if they didnt come to TFC.  I wonder if a guy like Dasovik, Pozniak or Bent are being looked at as a future CPL coach.

Too bad the second leg is on Sunday (Nov.3 @ 1:30 am) for a one hour recap. I don't understand how you show the first leg live and not the final leg." Only in Canada you say."  Those old enough will remember that old Red Rose TEA ad on TV.

Edited by MtlMario

32 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Too bad the second leg is on Sunday (Nov.3 @ 1:30 am) for a one hour recap. I don't understand how you show the first leg live and not the final leg." Only in Canada you say."  Those old enough will remember that old Red Rose TEA ad on TV.

CBC has a Field Hockey Olympic qualifier. Surely nobody gives a shit about that.

https://www.cbc.ca/programguide/daily/2019/11/02/cbc_television/?t=1572027523566

Edited by narduch

5 hours ago, narduch said:

CBC has a Field Hockey Olympic qualifier. Surely nobody gives a **** about that.

https://www.cbc.ca/programguide/daily/2019/11/02/cbc_television/?t=1572027523566

Sending an email or social media response requesting the CPL final is shown live may help if enough do so.

https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/requests/new

CBC Sports Twitter : @cbcsports

Possible interpretation:

if they try to compete with MLS in terms of focusing on delivering the highest quality of on-field product (propped up by international journeymen players) at the expense of their stated developmental ethos, they will lose.  They will fail to differentiate themselves - plus they will lose out on possible player transfer fees.  

36 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Possible interpretation:

if they try to compete with MLS in terms of focusing on delivering the highest quality of on-field product (propped up by international journeymen players) at the expense of their stated developmental ethos, they will lose.  They will fail to differentiate themselves - plus they will lose out on possible player transfer fees.  

CPL has demonstrated its ability to develop it's own stars, thinking of Campbell and Ongaro just to name those.

Lots of guys on whom top teams have gave up upon early on have develop into good players...

Maybe that's CPL angle by only allowing 2 non-restricton internationals. They are hoping to be able to develop young internationals into their own stars so they can resell them high.

There's truly no way we can remotely compete by emulating MLS or top leagues by buying internationals or coming up with "DP or TAM" gimmicks. 

I think they are onto something by wanting to have players emerging as their own stars like we did this season.

However, the league building a database where teams can only draw from is dumb...let team scout...unless the league as a whole has better resources/ability to scout than individual teams...

Lots we dont know...

Edited by Ansem

On 10/25/2019 at 1:48 PM, MtlMario said:

That certainly dates me, as I do remember that ad quite well.....

I understand the Moneyball logic.  If the league try’s to “get better” by importing overpaid vets they won’t be successful.

The CPL has to be a selling league as part of their economics.  That includes bringing in younger foreign talent and selling those contracts too.

I think it’s a bit ham fisted to design a mandated scouting company to bring talent from.  Is the scouting company going to be better at ID’ing young foreign talent than individual clubs?  Probably.  But taking that freedom away from the teams can hurt them as well.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

However, the league building a database where teams can only draw from is dumb...let team scout...unless the league as a whole has better resources/ability to scout than individual teams...

Agree.  I hope this doesn't become the CPL version of the CFL's negotiation list.  The league compiling a list is fine, it is the fact that they are making the list the only means of acquiring international talent that seems ridiculous.  

The league does need to be a selling league to succeed, I think everyone knows this.  However, if you have too much of an age restriction on things at what point does it become a premier U23 (just throwing and age there) league?  Bigger clubs looking at CPL players will then just question whether said player can compete in an open division.  Finally, good luck selling a glorified U23 league as a top league to the general public.  

Soccer is the most competitive, cut throat sports business on this planet.  If CPL is hoping to make a serious dollars discovering/developing foreign talent they're about 30 years too late to the party.  The buffet has been picked clean and all the Big Boys are blocking any chance of CPL elbowing it's way closer to the table.

And they, CPL collectively, must know that.

So I'm going to take a wait and see approach with all this.  Seems all a bit odd.

We're the last developed country in the world to have a soccer league. Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

How would restricting the quality of the league increase profits from selling players? You make more by selling better players. Who is going to buy a player that will be available for free once they age out of this league? 

What is the problem they're trying to solve? I just don't understand this at all, and I hate the idea of centralized control over rosters. I go the games to cheer for my team, not a league. I do not want the league to be run as a single entity, but it seems like the main investor in all this does. 

Edited by Aird25

47 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Mt interpretation of that quote is that the league has not done very well financially in year one and is now taking a hard look at its business model; and is deciding that in order to survive it needs the revenue from developing and selling on youngsters, whether Canadian or not. I'm afraid the sad little "North Star Shield" also seems to indicate that the financial situation is not rosy....

Glad somebody has finally said that last bit. Held back from doing it for fear of being accused of self-parody.

I'm so siloed in my sporting interests that I had to google the Billy Beane and Moneyball reference, but it definitely seems to point to doing things innovatively to make things work on a very low budget. If it's about more than just cutting back costs to the bare bones, how do you go about signing foreign U-23 players that you can sell on when established football/soccer is also combing the world for top prospects as well and signing up way more players than can ever hope to make it through to the big time? All I can come up with is by identifying smaller countries with no fully pro teams where they still aren't looking as hard as they should be. The Caribbean maybe?

I've always assumed at this level, similar to USL, most players are on one year contracts and very few, if any, are on long term ones. It's expensive to tie up players who might amount to nothing unless you have a lot of money to risk. How do you get to be a "selling league" in this environment?