CPL General

18 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Hope I’m wrong but there is only a minuscule (less than 5%) chance that the Fury wind up in CPL next season.  2021 is the next moving target and even then I predict it’s at best 50-50 (just gut feel).  

Given that 2021 is off the table thanks to the requirement for a three-year commitment, IMO the chances are 50% that the Fury plays in the CanPL in 2020 and 0% for every year thereafter. I think if they don't join now, they will be gone by 2023, in part because another team will have replaced them in Ottawa. 

5 minutes ago, ted said:

Given that 2021 is off the table thanks to the requirement for a three-year commitment, IMO the chances are 50% that the Fury plays in the CanPL in 2020 and 0% for every year thereafter. I think if they don't join now, they will be gone by 2023, in part because another team will have replaced them in Ottawa. 

I can't see how the Fury could be required/able to give a 3 year commitment when they have to get CSA/CONCACAF approval every year to play in USL.

38 minutes ago, PaulV said:

I don't know where this 'three year commitment' comes from. I don't think that's a thing.

Jeebus, this is why this forum is so infuriating. Ottawa's status is being discussed in multiple threads. At least one of them there has been a long discussion of a three-year commitment that the USL is requiring of all teams to renew for 2020. I thought it was generally agreed to be accurate. I can't bloody keep up with this shit.

24 minutes ago, ted said:

Jeebus, this is why this forum is so infuriating. Ottawa's status is being discussed in multiple threads. At least one of them there has been a long discussion of a three-year commitment that the USL is requiring of all teams to renew for 2020. I thought it was generally agreed to be accurate. I can't bloody keep up with this ****.

Apparently USL also requires teams to have a soccer specific stadium after 2 seasons. It was mentioned as one of the reasons Fresno failed. 

But how does that explain Ottawa's stadium?

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

Apparently USL also requires teams to have a soccer specific stadium after 2 seasons. It was mentioned as one of the reasons Fresno failed. 

But how does that explain Ottawa's stadium?

Fresno was at a baseball stadium though. So, they might be okay if it's a football/soccer venue, but a baseball/soccer venue wouldn't fly unless you are owned by rich people.

I’m watching OneSoccer - Forge Unscripted where they are interviewing Bekker and Borges unscripted.

When asked who the best defender in the league- Borges called out Ndzemdzela Langwa from Halifax as the hardest player he played against.  Said he is very good at anticipating moves and making it hard.

We don’t really ever talk about Langwa much when talking about best players. 

USL C's requirements aren't for a strict SSS stadium only but also a non SSS stadium that has been altered to be more suitable for soccer as well. USL made a big deal of their agreement with HOK in 2015 and the looming 2020 requirement but the fine print does not mean clubs have to be in SSS specific stadiums.

Lots of non SSS specific stadiums in USL C and that will continue.

31 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It is remarkable that the finals are getting coverage in leading global newspapers like the New York Times and the Guardian yet TSN continues pretend this league does not exist at all.  Not even a wire story on tsn.ca/soccer  .  

More of a fuss needs to be made about this. Especially on social media. NY times and the guardian need thanks for doing what TSN apparently has no interest in. 

16 minutes ago, toontownman said:

More of a fuss needs to be made about this. Especially on social media. NY times and the guardian need thanks for doing what TSN apparently has no interest in. 

This is part of the way TSN operates. TSN leverages its market power to pump properties they control and bury/relegate properties they don't.  Note that on Wednesday night, TSN led Sportscentre with 9 minutes of TFC coverage before even mentioning game 7 of the World Series (a rival sportsnet property).  Baseball fans were losing it on twitter.

The only time this year TSN has mentioned a CPL team at all was during CONCACAF League.  Of course, that's only because they had the TV rights.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

30 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This is part of the way TSN operates. TSN leverages its market power to pump properties they control and bury/relegate properties they don't.  Note that on Wednesday night, TSN led Sportscentre with 9 minutes of TFC coverage before even mentioning game 7 of the World Series (a rival sportsnet property).  Baseball fans were losing it on twitter.

The only time this year TSN has mentioned a CPL team at all was during CONCACAF League.  Of course, that's only because they had the TV rights.

This is how Sporsnet operates.  This is how ESPN operates.  TSN is not doing anything different from comparable entities.  I don't know why this is still a shock to people.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

This is how Sporsnet operates.  This is how ESPN operates.  TSN is not doing anything different from comparable entities.  I don't know why this is still a shock to people.

Please visit sportsnet.ca/soccer and take note of the top story on the site.  Also take note of the leagues listed on the ribbon at the top of the screen.  Sportsnet is NOT a rights holder yet they've covered the league because it's news!

TSN.ca/soccer currently has zero mention of the league's existence.  It's not even on the ribbon at the top of the page.

image.png.44ab8ae1ea0e489e466f224f13d02124.png

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

8 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Please visit sportsnet.ca/soccer and take note of the top story on the site.  Also take note of the leagues listed on the ribbon at the top of the screen.  Sportsnet is NOT a rights holder yet they've covered the league because it's news!

TSN.ca/soccer currently has zero mention of the league's existence.  It's not even on the ribbon at the top of the page.

The irony is that TSN is filled with EPL content - another league for which they don't have rights.  

17 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

TSN has a conflict of interest though owning MLS rights. 

That's awfully nice of Sportsnet though....even threw in a nice glamour shot with the packed crowd in the background.