CPL General

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

They have nearly doubled us already? ?

Let's pick it up GTA people. I'm not even in York region and I've made the plunge. Granted, Brampton neighbours the area in question so it is easier for me to support this but still.... people travel from Oakville and what have you to support TFC.

Edited by Macksam

On 5/18/2018 at 11:35 AM, PJSweet said:

This hockey guy just wrote to me and called me a fucking loser for supporting the CPL. He said that this is only a pipe dream. It's going to fail. You're making a fool of yourself. How would you respond to this idiot? Any suggestion? This guy sounds like those fucking loser from the 1970s that will stand there and say: SOCCER SUCKS!!!! I hate those guys.

Yeah they are the worst.  That's rich coming from an NHL fan - the league and it's teams were basically sold to the USA for that sweeeeet $USD.

I think that York9 is a very smart marketing concept, but perhaps you have to recall you have no sentimental allegiance to "York" amongst the 9 communities, not anywhere near what a Calgary pride might be. So I think that you will have to work on each part of the 9 separately, maybe even consciously, so that you very specifically can draw a fan base from all municipalities. 

If they had to they could even do a competition to see which provided most supporters, or something to enliven the question, like having a 9-team fan tournament. I think it will simply take a bit longer and cannot be read as such an immediate draw as one city-one fanbase.

4 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, there's not a great reason to be surprised that Calgary's having a much better draw than York.  York was always going to be one of the tougher sells and that was well-recognised.  I'd be worried if York was out-selling Calgary.

Yet York has the most ambitious stadium plan...but maybe that in itself would draw people

20 minutes ago, IAmPappy said:

Curious: Did both clubs begin counting at Member #1? Any evidence of that?

I'm pretty confident they started at 1, at the launch I was one of the early people to sign up at York and got member #5

But as I've said, I wouldn't take the numbers as gospel, there were a couple people with the same number as me. York's launch seemed to have a few technical difficulties 

21 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I hope the league will be in FIFA games, maybe FIFA 19..

Maybe fifa 22 if the league is thriving. How long did it take us just to get the national team in there, despite the game being made in Vancouver?

Champ manger though no worries.

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I hope the league will be in FIFA games, maybe FIFA 19..

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Maybe fifa 22 if the league is thriving. How long did it take us just to get the national team in there, despite the game being made in Vancouver?

Champ manger though no worries.

8 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I don't see CPL being in FIFA until the 3 MLS teams move to CPL or we do well at a World Cup.

I could see them adding CPL soon if they want to add teams for the CCL. Right now a big problem in Fifa is that playing career as an MLS team is pretty boring, wit only the MLS cup and US open cup to play for. If youre a Canadian team the Vcup isnt even in there. If they added CPL and the 3 Costa Rican giants and maybe Tauro or someone like that, they could have a real CPL and VCup.

Also if they just want to expand Concacaf, it will be much easier for them to do the CPL than any Central American league just because of the language barrier and ease of access to information.

Edited by BradMack

2 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I could see them adding CPL soon if they want to add teams for the CCL. Right now a big problem in Fifa is that playing career as an MLS team is pretty boring, wit only the MLS cup and US open cup to play for. If youre a Canadian team the Vcup isnt even in there. If they added CPL and the 3 Costa Rican giants and maybe Tauro or someone like that, they could have a real CPL and VCup.

Also if they just want to expand Concacaf, it will be much easier for them to do the CPL than any Central American league just because of the language barrier and ease of access to information.

Ok, but playing career in FIFA in a non European country is boring. I don't think it has to do with MLS, but have you played with other non-European leagues? It's the same thing. Sure if FIFA really wanted to improve, they'd focus on South America more than freaking CONCACAF.

8 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Ok, but playing career in FIFA in a non European country is boring. I don't think it has to do with MLS, but have you played with other non-European leagues? It's the same thing. Sure if FIFA really wanted to improve, they'd focus on South America more than freaking CONCACAF.

The US is a huge, mostly untapped market for them. Sometimes business decisions get in the way of merit. Look at Fifa and India.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:49 AM, PJSweet said:

I just hate when assholes of this kind call me a loser and a pipe dreamer. I hate it!!! I want this to stop NOW!!!!! I call this soccerphobia.

I don’t know how old you are but I’m an old geezer lol and been a soccer fan all my life living here in Canada and it’s not been easy and have dealt with soccer haters since I can remember. I’ve dealt with them in my everyday day life and have seen them in the media , but now in my older years when I come across them I just ignore them I don’t bother with them anymore there is no point let them hate. I remember all the soccer haters saying TFC was not going to draw flies well how did that go? So just keep loving and following whatever team or league you want and enjoy it forget the haters , life is too short to waste your time on them.

23 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

The biggest challenge will probably be teams like York9 that are in the Toronto area it won’t be easy and I’m sure the owners know this and I’m sure are not expecting season tickets to sell like crazy, it’s Toronto where even Major Junior hockey teams have struggled in places like  Mississauga and Brampton places within the Toronto area, it’s hard for people in these places to see themselves as an entity  on their  own from Toronto they are just so connected, however, nothing is impossible it will take a lot of work but I’m sure these owners will give it their best try and hopefully make it work.

Edited by 1996