CPL General

22 minutes ago, Rheo said:

The Young Gaffers pod has interview with Derek Martin talking about Halifax and go over the Cavalry FC announcement

http://www.theyounggaffers.com/episode-130-from-c-to-sea-cavalry-fc-and-an-interview-with-haligonian-derek-martin/

I'll update if there's anything news worthy 

I think this is a written version of the pod interview http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/derek-martin-talks-halifax-cpl-community-club-identity/

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Great article but I have to question the struggle Chapman has faced.. the guy has had a pretty clear path to the pros and gets praised for very minimal things on MLS website. 

Chapman maybe one of the few who have ahead a fairly clear path. It hardly happens, and the CPL will help with that. I mean, even Alphonso Davies had to relocate to Vancouver to play. And that guy has had just about “the easiest” path a Canadian can take.

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Great article but I have to question the struggle Chapman has faced.. the guy has had a pretty clear path to the pros and gets praised for very minimal things on MLS website. 

Not sure how relevant the MLS website is to the discussion of Canadian player pathway to the pros, but its really just Matt Doyle I think who is Chapman fan - their post-game show after the 2nd leg of the CCL final saw the likes of Bobby Warshaw & the others bemoaning the fact that Vanney wasn't able to bring better players on to the field than Chapman (& Hamilton) which didn't come across as praise to my mind.....

8 hours ago, Rheo said:

AFTN discusses the latest on CPL on their latest show (about a half hour, starting around 56 minutes in)

http://aftn.ca/episode-269-the-aftn-soccer-show/

-say the lack of news on Fraser Valley team is stadium issues.  Also said it appears it will be built from scratch, not adapting an existing facility.  They know some of the proposed stadium locations (mention some possible locations but I'm not local so goes over my head)  As usual being local in the bubble they know more than they are saying

As you say they are saying that they want to build a new stadium.

They argue that if the stadium is near the Surrey "Dock", the Port City name makes more sense. A comment: Surrey has oceanfront, but it is not a port area. The only port facilities they have are on the Fraser River, so that you'd be talking about a North Surrey stadium, to the north of the Fraser Valley population core, not far from New Westminster though, technically a more central location for the Lower Mainland. But they are speculating on this, and I along with them.

It is true that earlier reports out of Surrey named Bridgeview, which is this area, as one of three options on city-owned land. I believe there is land at the corner of Bridgeview Drive and King George Blvd. Central City Brewery would be across the street if this is the site.

This would be near the Scott Road Station, which in turn is near the intersection of Highway 1 and 17, so location wise it would be very smart. You would not be drawing from a large immediate local population, but would be making it accessible by personal and public transit. You also have a major mall area with parking that could benefit.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Would be surprised if CanPL agree to play MLS B teams in a cup given some of what has been stated over the last year or two, but some kind of cross-border competition would help liven up the season a bit given 6 to 8 team leagues (probably the latter if Edmonton and Ottawa join) can get monotonous very quickly and MLS teams are likely to dominate the Canadian Championship given they are highly likely to have much more money to spend on players for the forseeable future. Entry to the following season's cross-border cup with top USL teams and/or something like the Scotiabank CONCACAF League being dependent on being one of the top 2 or 4 teams in the final standings could be used to keep the end of the season interesting, if they are really not going to have playoffs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_CONCACAF_League

http://www.concacafleague.com/en/schedule-results#tab_team=rounds

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

17 hours ago, Rheo said:

99% Sure CPL will pass on that one. Otherwise, why go to the trouble of denying MLS B teams?

The key word here is "possibly" as in : we're going to invite CPL to increase our notoriety.

Expect the league to pass on that but CPL II should go when it's up and running along with L1O and PLSQ

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

99% Sure CPL will pass on that one. Otherwise, why go to the trouble of denying MLS B teams?

Indifferent to the tournament, agree I don't think they would but there's a big difference between playing MLS B teams in a friendly continental Cup tournament and having MLS B teams as full members in the league.

18 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Indifferent to the tournament, agree I don't think they would but there's a big difference between playing MLS B teams in a friendly continental Cup tournament and having MLS B teams as full members in the league.

Agreed

Future of professional soccer in the Westshore up in the air due to hydro pole

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070/news/future-of-professional-soccer-in-the-westshore-up-in-the-air-due-to-hydro-pole-1.3834928

“I’d say we’ve probably got about 10 days left to figure out how to get hydro to approve those stands in there at least, and then maybe the pole later,” Young said. “We’ve got 10 days left on the M.O.U. and so if we don’t get that done and it’s not solved then unfortunately we won’t be getting soccer here.”

43 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Halifax official 

Here we go!

Use of blue and white at the 0:08 second mark strike me as confirmation of the team's primary colours. Used in the video similar to how the shades of green were used in the Calgary and York videos.

Not particularly surprising the team does use the colours of the NS flag. I'm very excited for Friday!

The new Loyal Company of the River Valley pod recaps the week's CPL news with the Young Gaffers pod's guys talking Calgary (I'll update if there's anything news wise)

http://loyalcompanyrv.libsyn.com/lcrv-episode-144

-Jay Ball was on radio (I did a quick look for the interview but couldn't find anything) in Edmonton last week and said FC Edmonton memberships spiked up with the Calgary announcement.  He did also mention if they were to join the CPL it would be 2-3 months. 

Edited by Rheo

55 minutes ago, Copes said:

Here we go!

Use of blue and white at the 0:08 second mark strike me as confirmation of the team's primary colours. Used in the video similar to how the shades of green were used in the Calgary and York videos.

Not particularly surprising the team does use the colours of the NS flag. I'm very excited for Friday!

This tweet has four pics from the video showing purple and teal 

50 minutes ago, Rheo said:

This tweet has four pics from the video showing purple and teal 

I honestly didn't catch the Teal until the 4th viewing, after someone had pointed it out to me on Reddit.

I wouldn't be opposed to Teal either. Or maybe we have a primary / secondary colour scheme? Both other teams have announced "black on black". Maybe we have "blue on white" and "teal on purple" or something like that?

11 minutes ago, RickC said:

Hopefully Teal is not a hint at the name of Halifax' first signing of a striker.

I see no problem with that, he'd be great for the league and a domestic as well.

57 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Another pre-launch Halifax story, nothing new but always good to click on the link to show there's interest.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4226119/halifax-professional-soccer-team/

"The team would have a 7,000 seat stadium and host 10 regular season games during the league’s first season — set to kickoff in Spring 2019."

What?