CPL General

24 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Speaking of... JDG knows a Canadian who might be a huge get as well.

Say what you want be still good players and domestic

Yes can with worms has been opened 

Actually, he's not a domestic anymore. He had to give up his Canadian Citizenship.  Unless you are talking about Junior Hoilett. 

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Actually, he's not a domestic anymore. He had to give up his Canadian Citizenship.  Unless you are talking about Junior Hoilett. 

K really just referring to the whole idea of Canadians who chose not to play for our national team but playing in the CPL. That ended up being a bad example but

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

"The team would have a 7,000 seat stadium and host 10 regular season games during the league’s first season — set to kickoff in Spring 2019."

What?

I don’t think Global did their research or put much effort into this article. They posted a video that’s over a year old and the article seems pretty basic. There’s been multiple other sources that have indicated 14-16 home games per year.

10 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

I don’t think Global did their research or put much effort into this article. They posted a video that’s over a year old and the article seems pretty basic. There’s been multiple other sources that have indicated 14-16 home games per year.

Just something to remember that most of these reporters aren’t as invested in this story as we are. They’re going to make mistakes especially when the league isn’t very forthcoming with exact info at times. I’ll assume they’re honest ones (unless it’s that columnist from Edmonton who had her agenda)

16 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Only read a couple of paragraphs but putting it out there https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cpl-help-build-small-city-identity-brandon-copeland

Good article but a bit basic for those who know something about the question, focusing on how any community can propose having a team in a promotion-relegation system and put themselves on the map, with real estate implications.

Also some odd examples

Says that a team would need two decades to go from formation in the lowest tier to the top league in its country. I don't see why. I know a team in metro Barcelona that started in the lowest of 8 adult organised tiers in 2014 and has promoted four years straight. So will play in Spanish 4th tier next season. It may be odd but theoretically, a team could go from the lowest rung to the highest in as many years as there are rungs in the system, in most European countries that being between 6 and 10. Another example: FC United of Manchester started in the 10th tier and promoted three times straight, is now in the 6th tier, but could theoretically (and many fans hoped it seems) they could have been rivalling their neighbours in 9 years in a perfect world.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I don’t have the numbers in front of me but I just noticed that on both twitter and Facebook these city teaser videos have been getting more and more views and retweets/shares with each new city. So York’s teaser has less views (each of Twitter and Facebook), less retweets, and less Facebook shares than Calgary’s teaser. Calgary’s teaser has less of all of those stats than Halifax’s teaser already. Nice to see momentum building!

13 hours ago, Ansem said:

Future of professional soccer in the Westshore up in the air due to hydro pole

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070/news/future-of-professional-soccer-in-the-westshore-up-in-the-air-due-to-hydro-pole-1.3834928

“I’d say we’ve probably got about 10 days left to figure out how to get hydro to approve those stands in there at least, and then maybe the pole later,” Young said. “We’ve got 10 days left on the M.O.U. and so if we don’t get that done and it’s not solved then unfortunately we won’t be getting soccer here.”

Only in Victoria.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good article but a bit basic for those who know something about the question, focusing on how any community can propose having a team in a promotion-relegation system and put themselves on the map, with real estate implications.

Also some odd examples

Says that a team would need two decades to go from formation in the lowest tier to the top league in its country. I don't see why. I know a team in metro Barcelona that started in the lowest of 8 adult organised tiers in 2014 and has promoted four years straight. So will play in Spanish 4th tier next season. It may be odd but theoretically, a team could go from the lowest rung to the highest in as many years as there are rungs in the system, in most European countries that being between 6 and 10. Another example: FC United of Manchester started in the 10th tier and promoted three times straight, is now in the 6th tier, but could theoretically (and many fans hoped it seems) they could have been rivalling their neighbours in 9 years in a perfect world.

Or a better example is Salford City who were in the 8th division in English Football (also just outside of Manchester) and got promoted 3 times in 4 years and will start next season in the 5th Division. Better example because you can watch it all happen on Nexflix https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80171702 (3rd season can be found online elsewhere).

4 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Or a better example is Salford City who were in the 8th division in English Football (also just outside of Manchester) and got promoted 3 times in 4 years and will start next season in the 5th Division. Better example because you can watch it all happen on Nexflix https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80171702 (3rd season can be found online elsewhere).

So it's sort of a reality show on Salford City, that is interesting. Is that the team that Gary Neville is partner in, the one with a Chinese owner, maybe the same guy who owns Valencia?

My first case I can watch in person, it's FE Grama, which was founded as a replacement after a third tier club in Santa Coloma de Gramanet, Barcelona working class suburb, had a financial collapse. They have had four promotions in four consecutive years. And on top of that, the club sold one of the winning numbers of the Spanish Xmas lottery, which tends to benefit hundreds of people in small quanities (couple hundred thousand each).

Point is, if you do things right, you can go from rags to relative riches fairly quickly, I have no idea why the author of that article says you need 2 decades.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Halifax wanderers FC ....jealous of their name. Way to do it right Halifax.

Until we find out that the url is the actual name and it's HFX Wanderers FC.  Then we get a few days online of how horrible it is that they used HFX instead of Halifax.  This continues until we get the video next week of the next city 2 days before the launch and we focus on that :)

For the record I don't know if they are going with HFX, just trying to be funny

Edited by Rheo

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Point is, if you do things right, you can go from rags to relative riches fairly quickly, I have no idea why the author of that article says you need 2 decades.

Here is what he said. "Teams rise or fall based on their performance – and while it would take at minimum the better part of two decades for a club to rise from the lowest levels to the top tier (the English Premier League) it is theoretically possible."

So first off, "better part of two decades" is less than 2 decades, but that's not that important. He was talking specifically about the English system and the English examples that have been brought up are Salford City and FC United of Manchester. If wikipedia is correct, Salford City was founded in 1940 and still hasn't come close to the Premier League, and FC United was founded 13 years ago and are still only in the 6th tier.

So the guy writing the article hasn't been proven wrong from any examples given here. I think it would be a lot easier to promote 2 or 3 times in a row at the lower levels than it would be at the higher levels. And certainly promoting 8, 9, or 10 times in a row would be exponentially more difficult than 3 or 4 times in a row.

51 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Until we find out that the url is the actual name and it's HFX Wanderers FC.  Then we get a few days online of how horrible it is that they used HFX instead of Halifax until we get the video next week of the next city 2 days before the launch and we focus on that :)

For the record I don't know if they are going with HFX, just trying to be funny

They did trademark HFX Wanderers FC!

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I'm going to guess that stands for Halifax Fighting Xylophones Wanderers Football Club. Can't wait to see the logo.

Vocal Minority podcast was doing joke names and came up with Flounders FC (the copyright we've all seen was spelled wrong) or the Black Cods (featuring black on black of course)

Edited by Rheo