CPL General

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, to comment, there is a bit of talk about St. John's in the Victoria thread I see, if you want to look.

I think you are right that small town or city could benefit in a way that the franchise system simply does not allow. It is clear that they could market themselves citing a sports team, use fans or parades as images of city pride, as well as raise the overall image of the city in the national or even international press. A lot of people here know the names of cities in Norway or Slovenia because we follow leagues with Canadians, or even Europa League.

You are also right that stadiums can have an effect on neighbourhoods and communities, they are added value for a city. As not having minimum facilities could be seen as a mark against a town (who has not cared to make public investments, as with not having a library, a museum, proper schools, parks, facilitate public market areas, other sports facilities). From what we are speculating on with regards to the Port City/Fraser Valley CPL bid, if they opt for Bridgeview it would be a clear attempt by Surrey to respond to longstanding complaints from an area where working class residential is under pressure from industrial sprawl, so that residents feel somewhat neglected by the city. A stadium, and proper concern for quality services in the area, for making clearer separations with logistic lots and light industry, would all be part of a renewal project, however viable or sincere.

Couldn't agree more with your comments! Also, I'll check out the Victoria thread!

1 minute ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

but please please please not making that the official name. 

Based on the larger image of the full website (which isn't in that image) it looks like HFX is the official name. At least, that is how they spell it out in the paragraph in the original image. 

"HFX Wanderers Football Club"

20 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

From the deleted FB post. If this is the crest it’s easily the weakest of the 3. A big let down in my opinion.

23324EAD-5A5E-4BC0-9DAC-5F4E32DBB79D.jpeg

In principle it is overly detailed, but it is clear nonethess.

It allows you to take the outside 8-point geometry and use that, without anything inside, a solid colour, or a two or three tone. You could also make a variation with the name across the middle, light blue solid below, dark blue above, eliminating waves and the bridge structure. Basically, it is something you can work with even though as is it is trying to do too much by adding excess symbols, like trying to appeal to all these existing references (the anchor for example).

As for the name, I think HFX is smart. It is like people who refer to cities in Canada by their airport initials, it is something folks like to do and work and play with. It also works with another "X" we have already seen, the Generation IX at York. You could argue it is Halifax Football with the X what ever you make of it. It also solves an important problem: Wanderers is a long name, you have to let it be large and play a bigger part in the name and crest, and this allows it visually (the font is actually larger because of it).

If they take it not a sacrosanct but as raw material for variations, it'll work.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Can anyone read the lines under HFX Wanderers? It looks to me like it might be something in Gaelic, but I can't quite tell. Guessing it's something along the lines of "one club, one city, one game"? 

Edit: Hard to make out, but I'm pretty sure it says "An Cala, An Dachaigh, An T-Anam" - "The Harbour, The Home, The Soul". 

Edited by m-g-williams

7 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Can anyone read the lines under HFX Wanderers? It looks to me like it might be something in Gaelic, but I can't quite tell. Guessing it's something along the lines of "one club, one city, one game"? 

I think its: "Our port, our home, our soul"

If it's that, it's rather lovely, good for them. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I thought it was Ar, not An, Ar being "Our", An being the article. 

I was shocked to find Scottish Gaelic on Google translator.

You're probably right. I was having trouble zooming in enough to read without losing resolution, so the "r" just looked like an "n" to my eyes. 

I admit I was rather surprised by that too. I thought I was going to have to bust out my Book of Everyday Gaelic to figure it out (I wish I were actually joking). A bheil Gàidhlig agad?

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Gee, Kent, I appreciate the reading comprehension. But since he does not cite real examples, he talks in the conditional. And as a condition, in any country in the world if you started in the last tier, you could rise from bottom to top in one year less than there are tiers. That is the fact, the rest is simply erroneous logic. 

But even if you could cite a case of it happening, it would not assist the conditional principle in any way, the possibility would still exist as correct, and in England you'd be talking about it being possible in 9 years.

Gee Unnamed Trialist. I appreciate the lesson in counting.

I wonder if these groups are coming forward with normal names that the league is turning down or if they’re all just creative?  

“Hey we wanna be Calgary Cavalry FC” “no, no you’re  just cavalry fc” 

“Hey how about Halifax Wanderers?” “I mean we like it, but do you really want your  full city name in there? Take the vowels out and we can talk” HFX is hopefully just a short form or maybe a nickname the locals use? 

They should name a Toronto team something to do with the 6 so that MLSE and Drake lose their minds. The YYZ 6ers 

So we do have a Canadian Basketball league here in Canada that I think started in 2011, but I think there are only teams in Ontario to the Maritimes nothing in Western Canada. I live in Toronto and we don’t have a team in the Toronto area therefore I never hear anything in the mainstream media about this league. Moreover, I don’t think they have a mainstream TV contract. My question is and this is an honest question I’m not asking to be negative about the CPL at all just want to know people’s thoughts here . Will the CPL make a bigger impact on the Canadian pro sports scene in terms of media awareness than this Canadian basketball league is having? Will it have a bigger impact on Canadian soccer than this Canadian basketball league is having on Canadian basketball? Will people be more aware of the CPL than they are of this Canadian Basketball league 7 years from now , I think this Canadian  Basketball league just finished their 7th. , season ?  Like I said I live in a city that does not have a team in this Basketball league so ya I never hear or see anything in the media about this league and I realize it’s probably different in cities that have a team, but I’ve never seen like any highlights for instance on TSN or Sportsnet even when they have had their championship final series or championship final series clinching game. Therefore , do we think the CPL will have much more of a presence in Canada than this Canadian Basketball league does not seem to have much of one even after 7 years of exsistence. I hope it does and I’m thinking it should just from the mere fact the CPL will have teams from coast to coast whereas thi Canadian Basketball league has teams only in Eastern Canada.

The way the league is being launched and advertised, I would fully expect it to be more popular than the Canadian Basketball League. I see no reason why it shouldn't be, there are big investors willing to fork up money and stadiums are being built for this league. I think generally soccer is more popular than basketball in Canada as well, even in Toronto. TFC isn't more popular than the Raptors, but I believe the EPL and UEFA CL is more popular than the NBA in the GTA

Very few people know about the Basketball league and I am not saying that your everyday joe knows about the CPL, but so far major websites (Toronto Sun, Star etc.) are talking about the league. The first inaugural season is going to be extremely important, the league has to be advertised and promoted as fully professional, and if fans make some noise and decent players come into the league, the CPL should do just fine

Securing a television deal, even DAZN is the biggest factor in my opinion. If it is on TV and accessible, people will know about it, talk about and go to the games. I am hoping one team comes out like Cincinnati in the USL and averages like 20,000 fans a game to get the league going, I think Hamilton or Winnipeg has the potential

I think (and hope for our sake) that the Canadian Basketball League is a lot closer to the Canadian Baseball League than CPL.  This was basically an opportunistic project where hockey arenas could get an extra tenant for semi pro basketball.. St Catharines has a team and you’re paying at least 20 bucks a ticket which is a joke never mind the fact they can’t even give tickets away.  They are active in the community and visible but no one really cares... which isn’t surprising considering the Icedogs went to the OHL final and still have trouble filling up half the rink (despite what phony attendance figures say).  I think the hockey can be attributed to NHL prices whereas there just isn’t a demand for live basketball here.

I’m not even sure where the other teams are from to be honest but hopeful CPL is 10x the league... tv exposure and major cities should ensure that.  Plus we may have some genuine talent in the league with either up and comers or has beens whereas the basketball league has neither.

Edited by Keegan

The Cup named after (and funded & paid by) this group alone should ensure that the CPL is better known than the Canadian Basketball League (which by the way, I don't think I was aware of until I read this thread). The CPL teams will be playing meaningful games against the 3 MLS teams and those games will be on television. The CSA is also going to push for a 2nd CCL spot, a tournament which is far more of a household name in Toronto now than it was even 5 years ago (I can't speak for Vancouver or Montreal in this regard) and they think they'll get it (at least another spot in the pre-qualifying tournament, if not directly in the final 16). Conversely, the teams in the Canadian Basketball League don't play meaningful games against the Raptors (or the NBA teams that aren't even in the other cities) nor, presumably, do they play in an equivalent CCL tourney for Basketball (or if they do, it's really under the radar as I'm not aware that there is an champions league equivalent for Basketball in Concacaf (or presumably Concacab).