CPL General

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So it's sort of a reality show on Salford City, that is interesting. Is that the team that Gary Neville is partner in, the one with a Chinese owner, maybe the same guy who owns Valencia?

My first case I can watch in person, it's FE Grama, which was founded as a replacement after a third tier club in Santa Coloma de Gramanet, Barcelona working class suburb, had a financial collapse. They have had four promotions in four consecutive years. And on top of that, the club sold one of the winning numbers of the Spanish Xmas lottery, which tends to benefit hundreds of people in small quanities (couple hundred thousand each).

Point is, if you do things right, you can go from rags to relative riches fairly quickly, I have no idea why the author of that article says you need 2 decades.

Hey, so, I'm the author of the article. Kind of crazy my LinkedIn blog post is getting the attention it has - mostly since Bierne shared it, (and invited me to grab a beer!) but I'm all for it. 

The two decades piece came from Wikipedia, as I am not familiar with much in the English system beyond the top two or three tiers. The exact quote is: "The system has a hierarchical format with promotion and relegation between leagues at different levels, allowing even the smallest club the theoretical possibility of ultimately rising to the very top of the system, although in practice it would take a team at the bottom levels at least two decades of consistently finishing at or near the top of each successive league to reach the top level, and even then additional restrictions, particularly in regard to stadium facilities, would then come into effect at the highest levels that could prevent a club from being allowed access to the top levels."

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system

I'm not a sports journalist or anything, and it was meant to be a pretty basic introduction for people who don't know much about soccer or CPL. I live in St. John's, my business focuses on real estate investment utilizing a community-building strategy, and so for my clients and people who read my blog posts on my website (which I cross-post to LinkedIn for exposure) I was simply trying to make the case that CPL will be a great marketing tool for small cities, and explain why. My blog is entirely utilized for content marketing, and selling my ideas. As a real restate and urban planning guy, I'm particularly interested in what trends and businesses might pop up near stadiums. Honestly though, I just got super excited after the York announcement and decided to use it as an excuse to talk about CPL at work! Haha. 

Edited by Copes

14 hours ago, Kent said:

I don’t have the numbers in front of me but I just noticed that on both twitter and Facebook these city teaser videos have been getting more and more views and retweets/shares with each new city. So York’s teaser has less views (each of Twitter and Facebook), less retweets, and less Facebook shares than Calgary’s teaser. Calgary’s teaser has less of all of those stats than Halifax’s teaser already. Nice to see momentum building!

Maybe.  But an alternative: York 9 is in a bigger sports region (ie the GTA) with a lot of alternatives to it.  Calgary has a number of sports teams, but this is their first pro soccer team in a while.  For Halifax, it will soon be the only real professional game in town and has been building to this for a lot longer than the other two.  So the order might matter less than the region being announced.

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Maybe.  But an alternative: York 9 is in a bigger sports region (ie the GTA) with a lot of alternatives to it.  Calgary has a number of sports teams, but this is their first pro soccer team in a while.  For Halifax, it will soon be the only real professional game in town and has been building to this for a lot longer than the other two.  So the order might matter less than the region being announced.

Yeah, it could be the popularity within the regions, it could also be that things are snowballing. Meaning, York soccer fans eat up the York news. Then Calgary comes along and Calgary fans eat up that news, but York fans are invested in the league now so they are eating it up too. Etc. You would have to thing that the CPL twitter and Facebook feeds are getting more followers as time marches on.

It could also be that it seems like bigger news with each subsequent team announcement. I don't know why the numbers are like they are, but I'm glad to see them getting better and better.

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

Until we find out that the url is the actual name and it's HFX Wanderers FC.  Then we get a few days online of how horrible it is that they used HFX instead of Halifax.  This continues until we get the video next week of the next city 2 days before the launch and we focus on that :)

For the record I don't know if they are going with HFX, just trying to be funny

Based on an image that just got deleted from the Supporter's FB group (which appeared to be a screencap of the website) you might actually have nailed it... 

Edited by Copes

4 minutes ago, Copes said:

Based on an image that just got deleted from the Supporter's FB group (which appeared to be a screencap of the website) you might actually have nailed it... 

Ohoh, at least we know what one of the debates on here will be now until next week

Bobby McMahon from Forbes has been teasing the DAZN annoucement for a couple of hours on Twitter and says no one has guessed it yet (including CPL)  but says it's big

Edited by Rheo

14 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Bobby McMahon from Forbes has been teasing the DAZN annoucement for a couple of hours on Twitter and says no one has guessed it yet (including CPL)  but says it's big

I find 'big' is always relative when it comes to these things.

20 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I find 'big' is always relative when it comes to these things.

Well it's full rights to Champions League and Europa so in my opinion it counts as "big"  Damn that's a game changer with them off cable.  Big hole for TSN to fill now... (let the speculation begin lol)

Edited by Rheo

42 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Well it's full rights to Champions League and Europa so in my opinion it counts as "big"  Damn that's a game changer with them off cable.  Big hole for TSN to fill now... (let the speculation begin lol)

Maybe.  But more likely TSN buys games from them, while DAZN retains the right of first choice games.  It's like when The Score bought the EPL rights and then sold games back to TSN and Sportsnet.

Just now, m-g-williams said:

Do you have a screenshot? The link to the photo doesn't seem to work for me.

I snagged it from earlier. On my phone so cant post but when im home from my men's league game tonight ill PM you of its not already posted

Just now, Copes said:

I snagged it from earlier. On my phone so cant post but when im home from my men's league game tonight ill PM you of its not already posted

Perfect, thanks! It looks like The CanPL Hub deleted the Tweet with the link/image, so I can't open it. 

(On an unrelated note, *still* waiting for "CanPL" to die and for the league to just use "CPL" . . . )

7 hours ago, Kent said:

Here is what he said. "Teams rise or fall based on their performance – and while it would take at minimum the better part of two decades for a club to rise from the lowest levels to the top tier (the English Premier League) it is theoretically possible."

So first off, "better part of two decades" is less than 2 decades, but that's not that important. He was talking specifically about the English system and the English examples that have been brought up are Salford City and FC United of Manchester. If wikipedia is correct, Salford City was founded in 1940 and still hasn't come close to the Premier League, and FC United was founded 13 years ago and are still only in the 6th tier.

So the guy writing the article hasn't been proven wrong from any examples given here. I think it would be a lot easier to promote 2 or 3 times in a row at the lower levels than it would be at the higher levels. And certainly promoting 8, 9, or 10 times in a row would be exponentially more difficult than 3 or 4 times in a row.

Gee, Kent, I appreciate the reading comprehension. But since he does not cite real examples, he talks in the conditional. And as a condition, in any country in the world if you started in the last tier, you could rise from bottom to top in one year less than there are tiers. That is the fact, the rest is simply erroneous logic. 

But even if you could cite a case of it happening, it would not assist the conditional principle in any way, the possibility would still exist as correct, and in England you'd be talking about it being possible in 9 years.

9 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

From the deleted FB post. If this is the crest it’s easily the weakest of the 3. A big let down in my opinion.

23324EAD-5A5E-4BC0-9DAC-5F4E32DBB79D.jpeg

I don't know - it's got clear ties to the city's nautical history, the shape is an homage to the Citadel where the grounds are, and the bridge brings Dartmouth into the fold.  Works for me.

Edited by dyslexic nam

4 hours ago, Copes said:

Hey, so, I'm the author of the article. Kind of crazy my LinkedIn blog post is getting the attention it has - mostly since Bierne shared it, (and invited me to grab a beer!) but I'm all for it. 

The two decades piece came from Wikipedia, as I am not familiar with much in the English system beyond the top two or three tiers. The exact quote is: "The system has a hierarchical format with promotion and relegation between leagues at different levels, allowing even the smallest club the theoretical possibility of ultimately rising to the very top of the system, although in practice it would take a team at the bottom levels at least two decades of consistently finishing at or near the top of each successive league to reach the top level, and even then additional restrictions, particularly in regard to stadium facilities, would then come into effect at the highest levels that could prevent a club from being allowed access to the top levels."

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system

I'm not a sports journalist or anything, and it was meant to be a pretty basic introduction for people who don't know much about soccer or CPL. I live in St. John's, my business focuses on real estate investment utilizing a community-building strategy, and so for my clients and people who read my blog posts on my website (which I cross-post to LinkedIn for exposure) I was simply trying to make the case that CPL will be a great marketing tool for small cities, and explain why. My blog is entirely utilized for content marketing, and selling my ideas. As a real restate and urban planning guy, I'm particularly interested in what trends and businesses might pop up near stadiums. Honestly though, I just got super excited after the York announcement and decided to use it as an excuse to talk about CPL at work! Haha. 

First, to comment, there is a bit of talk about St. John's in the Victoria thread I see, if you want to look.

I think you are right that small town or city could benefit in a way that the franchise system simply does not allow. It is clear that they could market themselves citing a sports team, use fans or parades as images of city pride, as well as raise the overall image of the city in the national or even international press. A lot of people here know the names of cities in Norway or Slovenia because we follow leagues with Canadians, or even Europa League.

You are also right that stadiums can have an effect on neighbourhoods and communities, they are added value for a city. As not having minimum facilities could be seen as a mark against a town (who has not cared to make public investments, as with not having a library, a museum, proper schools, parks, facilitate public market areas, other sports facilities). From what we are speculating on with regards to the Port City/Fraser Valley CPL bid, if they opt for Bridgeview it would be a clear attempt by Surrey to respond to longstanding complaints from an area where working class residential is under pressure from industrial sprawl, so that residents feel somewhat neglected by the city. A stadium, and proper concern for quality services in the area, for making clearer separations with logistic lots and light industry, would all be part of a renewal project, however viable or sincere.

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't know - it's got clear ties to the city's nautical history, the shape is an homage to the Citadel where the grounds are, and the bridge brings Bedford into the fold.  Works for me.

I'm with you. That's the crest I saw, and I actually sort of like it. All of it ties to Halifax for me, in my mind. The only thing I dislike is the "HFX" part. In no way a deal breaker for me, but I don't know why we have to eliminate 4 letters from the city's name in the team name. It's not like "Halifax" is a mouthful.

11 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

From the deleted FB post. If this is the crest it’s easily the weakest of the 3. A big let down in my opinion.

23324EAD-5A5E-4BC0-9DAC-5F4E32DBB79D.jpeg

I don't mind it, though I think it's a touch too busy with the anchor at the bottom and wish they dropped the extra text below the name. I can also deal with HFX in the badge, but please please please not making that the official name.