CPL General

In the “Players you expect to see in the CPL” thread I found this list of players posted by FC_Hali. 

Keeper: Thomas, Roberts, Carducci, Crepeau, Irving, Farago, Ingham, Cavalluzo, Di Bernardo, Melvin, Village, McRae, MacLeod, Monsalve, Hasal

Centre Back: Jakovic, James, M. Trafford, Attakora, Aleksic, Straith, Lefevre, Henry, Farmer, Sadiki, Gasparotto, Thomas, Ouimette, Didic, Smith, Roberts, Zator

Fullback: Edward, Dixon, Kapor, Ellis-Hayden, Cordova, Serban, Chung, Grant, Tissot, Pasher, Murrell, Drake, Gee, Dunstan, Corchia, Fresenga, Restrepo, Ma. Baldisimo

Defensive Mid/Box-to-Box: Zebie, McKendry, Ledgerwood, Awuah, Lapare-Gagnon, Mannella, Stanese, Mi. Baldisimo, Gardner, Norman, Beland-Goyette, Schweitzer, Shome, C. Trafford, Doughty, Dover, Gage

Attacking Mid/Winger: Bustos, Carreiro, Uccello, Reid, Eustaquio, Aleman, Bekker, Dominguez, Laryea, Boakai, Fisk, Aird, Kaye, Petrasso, Riggi, Camargo, Nanco, Edwini-Bonsu, Ewart, Porter, Levis, Heard, Kacher, James, Srbely, Choiniere

Striker: Haworth, Cox, D. Haber, M. Haber, Hamilton, Amanda, Sigue, Zannatta, Ricketts, Gonzalez, Campbell, Telfer, Wright

A lot of these players are either on the bench in MLS or they’re bouncing around Europe. So I wouldn’t be so quick of shit on the quality of MLS. The quality of MLS is improving pretty fast and I don’t see an issue with some players moving from the CPL to MLS or any other league in the world as long as there are more Canadians playing professional games every week. 

I am trying to figure out how good this hypothetical player that @Ansem is describing. Good enough to play in a top league in Europe after having played in CPL (not needing any intermediate steps) but wouldn’t see the field in MLS.

Whether you like the league or not, for the foreseeable future MLS will be a higher level of play and spending more money on player salaries (even for the non-DP/TAM players) than CPL. MLS has been around for over 20 years and our Canadian players who were starters in MLS got sold to teams like West Ham (saw the field once I think, loaned out to lower division teams most of the time) and Besiktas (yet to see the field, hopefully he breaks through). Do we really think a player is going to graduate from L1O to play in CPL, play a couple years and be scouted by Bayer Leverkusen? I would love for that to happen, and maybe it will every now and then, but there will be lots of leagues between CPL and the big 4 that are upward trajectory moves that could happen, likely more often, including MLS.

39 minutes ago, Ivan said:

You honestly think there aren't hundreds of Toronto kids that don't dream to play for TFC one day?

Any kids wants to play for their hometown, that's a given. Hell, kids were dreaming of playing for Montreal before they jumped to MLS after their 1st run in champions league.

However I hear more kids saying they want to play in EPL or other leagues than MLS.

I have yet to hear a kid dreaming of playing for "Real Salt Lake" if you see what I mean.;)

Edited by Ansem

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Any kids wants to play for their hometown, that's a given. Hell, kids were dreaming of playing for Montreal before they jumped to MLS after their 1st run in champions league.

However I hear more kids saying they want to play in EPL or other leagues than MLS.

I have yet to hear a kid dreaming of playing for "Real Salt Lake" if you see what I mean.;)

The sad part of that is Ansem, that so many kids dont have any kind of a "hometown" club.  To my son, TFC or VWC will be almost as foreign as MANU or Juventus.  The Loons will be the closest club for us to cheer for if CPL doesnt get off the ground.  

22 hours ago, Ansem said:

When I was a young player (admittedly with no chance to turn pro) I dreamt of simply getting paid to play soccer. Sure the super ridiculous dream was to play for Manchester United, which was my team between the collapse of the CSL and before TFC, but the first dream was just to collect a paycheque, regardless of the league or team, or if I needed a second job.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:16 PM, Ansem said:

Worked at a soccer camp in Provo. Met hundreds of kids who dream of playing for RSL. 

On 4/2/2018 at 3:55 PM, fil said:

Did....did the interviewer actually ask "What is the importance of this?  Because some people look at this and say "Canada Soccer has been going fine for decades without this.""?????

I also found it weird how Mitchell talked a lot about how this is an opportunity for the owner's to invest in Canadian soccer, mostly because I would have thought it's something the owners would be using to try to make money.  Yet, that's not at all what he made it sound like.

37 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It looks like a call for investors more than anything else and can be viewed as the third round of doing that after Beirne (last May and the following 60 to 90 days) and Clanachan (January and the following 60 to 90 days):

^^^douchebag

43 minutes ago, Kent said:

So has there been any talk of a rescheduling of the team announcement (seemingly likely Halifax) that got delayed last week?

No, but you already knew that. Don't think there's any doubt that it was Halifax given the Americas Rugby News obviously didn't get the memo about the March 29th announcement being cancelled:

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/03/29/canada-to-play-june-match-against-usa-in-halifax/

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It looks like a call for investors more than anything else and can be viewed as the third round of doing that after Beirne (last May and the following 60 to 90 days) and Clanachan (January and the following 60 to 90 days):

Yeah, no one at CPL have any sort of business relationships with the corporate world and since they have zero corporate sponsorships and just thought of it now, they thought the best thing to do would be to put out a vague tweet by someone who's not in their inner circle about needing some...hoping that the corporate world would see it and start investing. It's a last ditch attempt before they join the USL form a canadian division along with the MLS 2 squads and quit with this nonsense of our own league.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, Ansem said:

CPL doesn't want to be a stepping stone for MLS but it's own top league. I think young Canadians will be more excited with CPL than MLS once the league is established.

Safe to say that if CPL is to be a stepping stone to something, young Canadians will dream of Europe way ahead of MLS.

All good but for a good many years that's what the CPL will be a league made up of a majority of players not quite good enough for the the MLS and there is nothing wrong with that.  People don't stop attending the top league say in Holland because it's not at the same level as say German league people still go to watch games in the Dutch league regardless of the level being below Germany's league, that's what people who will go watch the CPL in the first I would say decade will do, just go attend and enjoy supporting your team and one day hopefully the league improves in level of play.  However, if the league grows financially then one day it can rival the MLS in terms of wages it pays it's players. It will take time it's not happening right away. Players are human they will play wherever they are able to make a lot more money regardless if the league is a Canadian  one or not and probably for a long while its going to be MLS but if the CPL is successful and money is just as good as the MLS then yes you will see many good Canadian players playing in the CPL.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:10 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

Other than the discriminatory practices against Canadians? And contracts that are in violation of FIFA rules? And the fact that you can be traded somewhere against your will? Should I go on?

FIFA rules you say lol you mean that FIFA lol, traded against your will I think that happens in all the other leagues in North America NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB . Discriminatory practises against Canadians it's a league that was started in the US to try and make soccer more popular in the US and develop American players so I get it even though I don't like it but things are slowly changing and the rules for Canadian players on American teams are slowly changing. The MLS like it or hate it has given soccer in the three MLS Canadian cities much more exposure than it has ever had on a consistent basis in mainstream media . If it was not for the MLS coming into Canada who knows if this CPL would ever get off the ground, I think the MLS has shown that soccer can attract crowds on a consistent basis here and that has given many the push and incentive to create a Canadian league. It's kept soccer alive and talked about almost all year round in the big three Canadian cities not only during World Cups or Euros every two years, the best is going to games for me here in Toronto and seeing all the young kids there growing up watching a pro team live soccer in their city something that feels just as big and important as any of the cities other pro teams, just helping to create more future soccer fans in Canada. I'm glad the MLS came to Canada and hopefully more soccer teams in Canada with the CPL what is there not to like  for a crazy soccer fan like myself,  a great time to be a soccer fan in Canada after living through the dark era after the old NASL collapsed and after the old CSL collapsed dark years indeed until 2007 when the MLS came to Canada and soccer was alive and well again and now the CPL great days indeed.

Edited by 1996