CPL General

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

This is the SUM equivalent for CanPL.

Just when I think you've admitted one of your theories were wrong and I can safely respond...

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not really when "Canadian SUM" was the terminology used by Victor Montagliani at the time and a SUM office was subsequently opened up in Toronto.

you deny and teach me a lesson yet again about why I shouldn't respond to you regarding CPL matters.

As for the skepticism about how this is a money generator, I agree with that. I don't see any slam dunk money printing properties that this business controls. Hopefully this is a case of me just not knowing what the hell is going on, like the magic wand waving that happened when the English Premier League was born out of the old First Division that somehow brought in trucks of money.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:33 AM, HfxCeltic said:

Got this info directly from SEA. The "good news" item was the Clanachan announcement and was accurate in terms of the "CPL next week" timeline. They noted a Halifax specific announcement in Feb/March, so assume that would be the franchise announcement. I think they would roll out other franchise announcements within the same period.

Think it was likely Halifax was going to announce today. Got this information directly from SEA, which indicated a Halifax specific announcement in February/March. Oh well; assume it's safe to say that the Halifax franchise announcement is imminent though.

Edited by HfxCeltic

Well if the delay is true, hopefully it's just because they wanted this CSB announcement to have it's own day and that the Halifax announcement happens sooner rather than later. And Calgary was also rumoured? Was that leaked from supporters in Calgary or something? Let's get these team announcements going ASAP!

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

Just when I think you've admitted one of your theories were wrong and I can safely respond...

A Canadian SUM office opened a lot sooner than this got announced and there were all the bizarre tweets from Anthony Totera asking if it had opened yet in the months leading up to that, so it was more than just a theory. There was something concrete that happened that provided an alternative explanation. Why would this CSB thing take a year to surface, if it's what Victor Montagliani was mentioning last year? Not impossible but seems a bit strange for it to unfold that way, because it's not clear what's so special about March 29th that one announcement would have to be bumped for another that looks like it could have been made at pretty much any time since May 5th last year when they got their sanctioning. If the Halifax thing got delayed, I suspect it's more likely to be related to the negotiations with the City of Halifax to draw up the final rental agreement on the pop-up than anything else. Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

In what sense? 

I'm going to venture a guess it's for similar reasons that I'm a bit confused about the talks of money explosions, etc. This business controls national team games (CSA did before and there is theorizing that we aren't playing any CMNT friendlies for months because it costs too much money), CPL (as optimistic as I try to be, the marketability still remains to be seen), naming rights of stadiums (which aren't yet planned to be built, let alone proven money makers), and the Canadian Championship (which hasn't exactly attracted marquee sponsors in the past).

It sounds like a nice enough idea, but where is the money generator? It's not like how SUM controls the rights to USMNT games and something to do with hosting Mexican national team games too. Those are money generators that in the past could help keep MLS afloat when MLS wasn't making money.

I think the CSB announcement sets the table for all the other annoucements.. teams, structure etc because. When a team is announced what will all the media and casuals or just completely ignorant will say? This will never work, look at this, look at that, what a way to waist money, they'll go broke lalala. 

This information should repel that sort of narrative or at least minimize it. Now when teams are announced they can focus more on the positive rather than explain how this is not a Batshit crazy idea that will never work

Edited by SpursFlu

58 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A Canadian SUM office opened a lot sooner than this got announced and there were all the bizarre tweets from Anthony Totera asking if it had opened yet in the months leading up to that, so it was more than just a theory. There was something concrete that happened that provided an alternative explanation. Why would this CSB thing take a year to surface, if it's what Victor Montagliani was mentioning last year? Not impossible but seems a bit strange for it to unfold that way, because it's not clear what's so special about March 29th that one announcement would have to be bumped for another that looks like it could have been made at pretty much any time since May 5th last year when they got their sanctioning. If the Halifax thing got delayed, I suspect it's more likely to be related to the negotiations with the City of Halifax to draw up the final rental agreement on the pop-up than anything else. Time will tell.

From the article you linked...

"It’s the culmination of a process former CSA boss Victor Montagliani set in motion four years ago when he told Postmedia the CPL’s success wouldn’t depend entirely on “butts in seats.”"

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm going to venture a guess it's for similar reasons that I'm a bit confused about the talks of money explosions, etc. This business controls national team games (CSA did before and there is theorizing that we aren't playing any CMNT friendlies for months because it costs too much money), CPL (as optimistic as I try to be, the marketability still remains to be seen), naming rights of stadiums (which aren't yet planned to be built, let alone proven money makers), and the Canadian Championship (which hasn't exactly attracted marquee sponsors in the past).

It sounds like a nice enough idea, but where is the money generator? It's not like how SUM controls the rights to USMNT games and something to do with hosting Mexican national team games too. Those are money generators that in the past could help keep MLS afloat when MLS wasn't making money.

The WNT as well as the following two aspects are what advertisers will find most appealing;

- The Canadian Championship – Canada’s professional club championship that features all Canadian professional clubs with the winner qualifying for Concacaf Champions League

- Grassroots programs that reach millions of Canadians playing the world’s game from coast to coast

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The WNT as well as the following two aspects are what advertisers will find most appealing;

- The Canadian Championship – Canada’s professional club championship that features all Canadian professional clubs with the winner qualifying for Concacaf Champions League

- Grassroots programs that reach millions of Canadians playing the world’s game from coast to coast

I wasn't sure what to take out of the grassroots programs mention. I don't understand what that entails. As for the Canadian Championship, I do think that could be a key driver for the CPL, but I'm not sure how profitable it is at this point. I don't think the pre-semi final round has ever been televised (maybe local TV?). Hopefully the injection of some new teams to bulk up the tournament a bit more will help grow it's prestige among the non-hardcore.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

I wasn't sure what to take out of the grassroots programs mention. I don't understand what that entails. As for the Canadian Championship, I do think that could be a key driver for the CPL, but I'm not sure how profitable it is at this point. I don't think the pre-semi final round has ever been televised (maybe local TV?). Hopefully the injection of some new teams to bulk up the tournament a bit more will help grow it's prestige among the non-hardcore.

The grassroots level I take to mean youth programs like Timbits Soccer.

The Canadian Championship will jump to a huge 12-14 team tournament next year with a national scope so I think it offers substantive benefits for sponsors.

30 minutes ago, Kent said:

Thank you saved me a lengthy response.

Edited by MrSabiondo
Grammar

Presumably the other participants from MLS, L1O and PLSQ teams also have to get a slice of the action as well where the Canadian Championship is concerned and the CSA still needs grassroots registration levies and sponsors to fund itself as it has always done, so it's difficult to see how CSB helps underwrite the finances to any huge extent unless there is eventual access to legacy money from profits related to hosting 2026 tied in somehow. That's the only thing that the CSA have access to that could generate a lot of money in the forseeable future but even that is a one-off windfall and is still eight years away.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Well if the delay is true, hopefully it's just because they wanted this CSB announcement to have it's own day and that the Halifax announcement happens sooner rather than later. And Calgary was also rumoured? Was that leaked from supporters in Calgary or something? Let's get these team announcements going ASAP!

footsoldiers_sg is my Reddit account. Note that I did not explicitly mention the city involved, that was assumed by other posters.

Edited by shermanator

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

footsoldiers_sg is my Reddit account. Note that I did not explicitly mention the city involved, that was assumed by other posters.

2590E1C7-C13C-420B-9C7B-037F64F8ED08.png

Somebody asked if the one team you could confirm was Calgary and you replied “Yup.”

Edit: I realize now you confirmed Calgary was in but not which team was set to annouce inclusion today, correct?

Edited by BuzzAndSting

30 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

2590E1C7-C13C-420B-9C7B-037F64F8ED08.png

Somebody asked if the one team you could confirm was Calgary and you replied “Yup.”

Edit: I realize now you confirmed Calgary was in but not which team was set to annouce inclusion today, correct?

Yes, sorry, that is what I meant. I did not say anything about which team was supposed to be announced today.

Also, before anyone starts thinking that Calgary was the one who was supposed to announce today and didn't, that is not the case.