CPL General

Larrson's article is online:

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/exclusive-canadian-premier-league-set-to-reveal-formation-of-canadian-soccer-business-to-oversee-soccer-properties

...The CPL’s new marketing wing says it could produce an explosion of funds not just for an upstart league bolstered by big investors, but Canada’s national teams – both of which have room to grow into global entities, according to the group’s leaders and marketing gurus.

“We had to come up with a different business model for the (CPL) that was going to attract the right type of league owner,” CSB CEO Scott Mitchell told Postmedia...

This is the SUM equivalent for CanPL. Time will tell on the explosion of funds.

The official CSA release

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian-soccer-business-csb-a-new-sports-enterprise-now-represents-premier-soccer-properties-in-canada--p161479

Ten year agreement and "Canadian Soccer Business now represents the following:

• On behalf of Canada Soccer, all corporate partnerships and broadcast rights for Women’s and Men’s National Team Programs
  • All commercial assets of the CPL including partnership and media assets of each club within the league
  • A collection of naming rights opportunities at new and renovated CPL stadiums
  • The Canadian Championship – Canada’s professional club championship that features all Canadian professional clubs with the winner qualifying for Concacaf Champions League
  • Grassroots programs that reach millions of Canadians playing the world’s game from coast to coast
Edited by Rheo

The part that stood out for me in the article

• The attractiveness, industry insiders say, is that nothing else compares right now. Chris Lang, who boasts more than five decades of marketing experience, believes the CSB has an edge over other Canadian sports properties due to emerging demographics and a top-to-bottom structure that’s all-encompassing.

“(This property) offers three things: Local, national and international,” Lang told Postmedia. “No other property gives you that. You can’t get that in hockey.

“I’ve never seen a package like this in my life – one that has all those pieces.”

7 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Wait, so there's actually going to be a financial incentive for both playing and broadcasting national team games!?!?

Seems a bit far-fetched when a webstream is as good as it gets at the moment. As for CanPL having a global reach one day, how often do the Belgian or Peruvian league feature prominently on television coverage elsewhere? A very limited number of leagues like the Premiership hoover up the lion's share of what's available in terms of global interest. They can no doubt find another sponsor like Amway for things like the Canadian Championship, but the revenues derived are unlikely to do much for them in terms of covering their expenses.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

The official CSA release

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian-soccer-business-csb-a-new-sports-enterprise-now-represents-premier-soccer-properties-in-canada--p161479

Ten year agreement and "Canadian Soccer Business now represents the following:

• On behalf of Canada Soccer, all corporate partnerships and broadcast rights for Women’s and Men’s National Team Programs
  • All commercial assets of the CPL including partnership and media assets of each club within the league
  • A collection of naming rights opportunities at new and renovated CPL stadiums
  • The Canadian Championship – Canada’s professional club championship that features all Canadian professional clubs with the winner qualifying for Concacaf Champions League
  • Grassroots programs that reach millions of Canadians playing the world’s game from coast to coast

Someone must feel a little vindicated with the whole "C-SUM" thing

Again encouraging to see the calibre of the people they are bringing on board. 

Edited by Complete Homer

Well it's good there is going to be an entity that can go full capitalist. The question is how much value is actually going to be there to exploit.

Also in the Sun article it mentions 10 inagural teams. But also says "6 to 8" on top of Winnipeg and Hamilton. So it looks it will be starting 8-10 teams.

17 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Well it's good there is going to be an entity that can go full capitalist. The question is how much value is actually going to be there to exploit.

Also in the Sun article it mentions 10 inagural teams. But also says "6 to 8" on top of Winnipeg and Hamilton. So it looks it will be starting 8-10 teams.

Definitely good news that we're starting with at least 8, bad news is that announcements will be "within the next two months." #60to90days #iwantmycpl

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Seems a bit far-fetched when a webstream is as good as it gets at the moment. As for CanPL having a global reach one day, how often do the Belgian or Peruvian league feature prominently on television coverage elsewhere? A very limited number of leagues like the Premiership hoover up the lion's share of what's available in terms of global interest. They can no doubt find another sponsor like Amway for things like the Canadian Championship, but the revenues derived are unlikely to do much for them in terms of covering their expenses.

^^^douchebag

I find it interesting the timing of the announcement.  I was kind of surprised when the tweets started late last night.  I didn't figure they would want to go against the Jays home opener.  But given the nature of the news it makes more sense.  This is a business/media deal and doesn't warrant much in the way of sports coverage, which there hasn't really been thus far.  It's a big announcement for those following closely, especially the odd quotes from Mitchell in the article, but not really something that would garner mainstream attention.

Edited by Rheo

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I find it interesting the timing of the announcement.  I was kind of surprised when the tweets started late last night.  I didn't figure they would want to go against the Jays home opener.  But given the nature of the news it makes more sense.  This is a business/media deal and doesn't warrant much in the way of sports coverage, which there hasn't really been thus far.  It's a big announcement for those following closely, especially the odd quotes from Mitchell in the article, but not really something that would garner mainstream attention.

If not the Jays home opener, there is always something. I've heard people talking about not going up against MLS games, CCL games, NHL trade deadline day, the Grey Cup, Leafs games, etc. etc. etc.

At some point you just have to put the news out there.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Larrson's article is online:

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/exclusive-canadian-premier-league-set-to-reveal-formation-of-canadian-soccer-business-to-oversee-soccer-properties

...The CPL’s new marketing wing says it could produce an explosion of funds not just for an upstart league bolstered by big investors, but Canada’s national teams – both of which have room to grow into global entities, according to the group’s leaders and marketing gurus.

“We had to come up with a different business model for the (CPL) that was going to attract the right type of league owner,” CSB CEO Scott Mitchell told Postmedia...

This is the SUM equivalent for CanPL. Time will tell on the explosion of funds.

There goes the theory that the C-SUM rumour was just about a SUM office in Canada :)

Thanks for the link!

1 minute ago, Kent said:

If not the Jays home opener, there is always something. I've heard people talking about not going up against MLS games, CCL games, NHL trade deadline day, the Grey Cup, Leafs games, etc. etc. etc.

At some point you just have to put the news out there.

Oh i know.  But there are times not to release thing (like the lack of news during the Olympics) for maximum exposure.  Probably just overthinking this and over estimating the reach of the Jays while they're in a bit of a down phase.  Just always been interested in media and how things are done so just talking out loud.

6 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Oh i know.  But there are times not to release thing (like the lack of news during the Olympics) for maximum exposure.  Probably just overthinking this and over estimating the reach of the Jays while they're in a bit of a down phase.  Just always been interested in media and how things are done so just talking out loud.

All I want to see is TV commercials for CPL during the World Cup. I think that is more crucial than the timing of these sorts of announcements at this point. Grab people with a casual interest in soccer and tell them that their city is getting a pro team next year and you can buy tickets now

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

There goes the theory that the C-SUM rumour was just about a SUM office in Canada :)

Thanks for the link!

Not really when "Canadian SUM" was the terminology used by Victor Montagliani at the time and a SUM office was subsequently opened up in Toronto. My skepticism about the "C-SUM" concept was and remains more that they could fund a league through it to any significant extent than that such a body could be set up at some point and I see nothing in Kurt Larson' s article that describes something that is likely to generate a lot of money for them.

4 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Lots of talk on reddit today that (likely) one of Halifax or Calgary were supposed to officially announce today but it got put off at the last minute. 

This CSB thing definitely looks like a bit of a placeholder, but is there any substance to that? I guess there is the tweet from the SEA guy about today being a fantastic day, but that's not much to go on.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Lots of talk on reddit today that (likely) one of Halifax or Calgary were supposed to officially announce today but it got put off at the last minute. 

Based on anything or just assuming the worst?  I looked on the CPL Reddit but didn't see any comments...

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

This CSB thing definitely looks like a bit of a placeholder, but is there any substance to that? I guess there is the tweet from the SEA guy about today being a fantastic day, but that's not much to go on.

The Tweet from SEA was at 9:46 PM and Larson's original Tweet about the story was at 8:26 PM.  Unless time travel was involved there was no way his Tweet is evidence of CSB being a placeholder for delaying the Halifax launch announcement.

Edited by Rheo