CPL General

5 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

Kind of unrelated, but it appears Canada v USA Rugby match at Wanderers Grounds in Halifax on June 23. Article notes stands of 6500 plus concessions will be constructed by then for the match.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/03/29/canada-to-play-june-match-against-usa-in-halifax/

But how will they overcome those pesky amendments!

31 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'm by know means saying Canadian Soccer shouldn't be doing this.  But it's not a guaranteed money maker (as a number of people have pointed out).  As a related example, USA Rugby set up something similar to SUM in the US, and it's having major financial difficulties. http://www.rugbytoday.com/elite/congress-gravely-concerned-about-rim-42-million-losses-trc

I guess the thing is that the article discusses what the CSB but leaves out major details.  Will the CPL owners own it, the way MLS owners own a share of SUM?  If it's set up to fund both the CPL and the National programs, inevitably there's going to be some infighting over the allocation of resources.  Will the CSB be able to get more home games for the men's team?  Will funds that the CSA normally allocated to the national programs go towards propping up some weaker CPL clubs?

The idea is fine, but we'll have to wait and see how the execution of it is.

This article states that the CPL owners own CSB. https://t.co/Wbd80hg9mk

58 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

This article states that the CPL owners own CSB. https://t.co/Wbd80hg9mk

That will be interesting as the league(s) grow with respect to numbers of clubs and possible pro/rel. Will the first 8 CPL owners financial contribution of say $10m be the same as team #15 in year 2028? How much do owners of CPL D2 clubs pay in 2040? Are they part of CSB at all?

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

True, but Victoria appears to want to build an 8000 seat stadium that would be ideal for a Whitecaps affiliate. It's a way to make teams in smaller markets work.

Well, I know where you're coming from, but in reality its more of a way to prop a team up, not make it "work". Making it work would be a really solid business plan and great front office staff who could attract sponsors and sell tickets and really market the team to the community. 

An MLS B side would be more like TFC2, which is a pro team that isn't in danger of folding, but its because MLSE is willing to suffer big losses and not really care about it.

The difference is USL is a minor league and everyone accepts it, CPL isn't ready to accept that and adding teams who will get -1000 people a game isn't going to look good.

2 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

Kind of unrelated, but it appears Canada v USA Rugby match at Wanderers Grounds in Halifax on June 23. Article notes stands of 6500 plus concessions will be constructed by then for the match.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/03/29/canada-to-play-june-match-against-usa-in-halifax/

I think this is actually very related. It's probable that Halifax was the team that was set to be announced, along with their stadium and this game at Wanderers Grounds. Perhaps a mixture of this news and also Canada Rugby not releasing until next week has them caught up?

27 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

What premise? 

It was a question, but your melodramatic meltdown kind of answered my question.

My apologies for misinterpretation of your question. There are those here who give the CPL  no chance of success and it seemed like you were advocating for MLS 2 teams like they do even though the CPL hierarchy have said repeatedly that it wasn’t happening. Nuance is hard to distinguish  in the typed words of message boards 

Bobby McMahon's take on it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/03/29/the-creation-of-canadian-soccer-business-brings-opportunity-risk-and-the-seed-of-future-conflicts/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting snippets are that the agreement runs for 10 years ( i.e. it runs through 2026 when representing the media and corporate partnerships of the CMNT is actually likely to be worth something) and CSB is owned by the CanPL franchises. What's not clear is what the fee skimmed off  for handling these things will be. 10% in a similar way to a player agent? 

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

10 hours ago, BradMack said:

...The difference is USL is a minor league and everyone accepts it, CPL isn't ready to accept that and adding teams who will get -1000 people a game isn't going to look good.

1000 a game paid could easily still happen in some of the smaller cities under discussion regardless of the affiliate angle (markets like Sasktoon and Halifax are high risk and have less of a soccer tradition than Victoria does, and I think you are wrong to assume an MLS tie-in would automatically be a net negative in interest terms in cities of that size, the concern which I fully understand is more with the optics involved in larger NHL and CFL type markets that expect to be top tier) and if it's not drawing similar to MLS with similar on field quality of play most people outside the internet bubble will view it as the minors regardless. 

19 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I'm curious as to in what order are the funds distributed. Does the CPL get their cut before Canada Soccer?

That's how player agent fees work, a percent of the total negotiated, and I think it would be similar on this as the representing role is much the same. If it was 10% on CMNT sponsors etc in a 2026 context it's a way for the CSA to give the league a helping hand (although one caveat would be that it's not clear yet that all three co-hosts get to automatically qualify?). The big money is in sponsoring the tournament as a whole and the legacy fund from tournament profits, so the CSA are not providing access to all of the financial windfall that is likely to be coming their way if the 2026 bid goes through OK.   

Surely the CSA are part owners along with the CPL owners so they would get a share of profits too? Doesn't read like that so far. Maybe they don't need the profits if they benefit from the promo and CPL working. Stupid question but how much do the CSA or CPL club's have to pay CSB to do this or is there no charge and they make their own money?

It is an interesting way of helping fund each club. Look like more really solid hires on the management side though. 

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's how player agent fees work, a percent of the total negotiated, and I think it would be similar on this as the representing role is much the same. If it was 10% on CMNT sponsors etc in a 2026 context it's a way for the CSA to give the league a helping hand (although one caveat would be that it's not clear yet that all three co-hosts get to automatically qualify?). The big money is in sponsoring the tournament as a whole and the legacy fund from tournament profits, so the CSA are not providing access to all of the financial windfall that is likely to be coming their way if the 2026 bid goes through OK.   

My impression was that CSB is responsible for 100% of the financials/revenue of everything and would then redistriubute it back into CPL and CSA.

33 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Surely the CSA are part owners along with the CPL owners so they would get a share of profits too? Doesn't read like that so far. Maybe they don't need the profits if they benefit from the promo and CPL working. Stupid question but how much do the CSA or CPL club's have to pay CSB to do this or is there no charge and they make their own money?

It is an interesting way of helping fund each club. Look like more really solid hires on the management side though. 

I highly doubt CSB is being paid by anyone. Generally with deals like these companies like CSB take a percentage of contracts negotiated.

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think the biggest issue lumbering over the horizon will be why they would get a cut on CWNT related monies if there is no womens league involved. 

Because they are promoting the CWNT? 

CPL has also alluded to a women's league starting once the men's is established. I thought the last cryptic quotes I read on here said it would happen sooner than people think. If it is indeed a 10 year deal that makes sense. 

I don't think the cut is dependent on whether there is a league involved. They are taking care of three potential four strands in the women's/men's national set up and the CPL. Don't see any issue? Might be misunderstanding you though?

"Think the biggest issue lumbering over the horizon will be why they would get a cut on CWNT related monies if there is no womens league involved."

CSA's former marketing agency IMG (for over 10 year I believe) never developed a pro league (men or women) so I'm not sure how this an issue that's "lumbering on the horizon"?  I don't know what IMG's cut was but I'm pretty sure they weren't doing it pro bono.  

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Because they are promoting the CWNT? 

CPL has also alluded to a women's league starting once the men's is established....

Which would probably be a massive financial liability if regular air travel is involved, so they would probably be in no rush to do what the A League in Australia did, but the W League model is what would probably be expected from a gender equity sort of standpoint if both the CMNT and CWNT are involved in CanPL's funding through links to the CSA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-League_(Australia)

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Which would probably be a massive financial liability if regular air travel is involved, so they would probably be in no rush to do what the A League in Australia did, but the W League model is what would probably be expected from a gender equity sort of standpoint if both the CMNT and CWNT are involved in CanPL's funding through links to the CSA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-League_(Australia)

Gender equity??  I wonder if the men will have as many friendlies and camps as the women if this goes through.