CPL General

12 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

So it's safe to start saying Hamilton, Winnipeg and Calgary.

Think there needs to be an announcement before you can say that safely and even then it's worth remembering that Cleveland expansion was announced by MLS back in 2004 only for it to subsequently unravel when the stadium deal couldn't be closed as appears to be in danger of happening again with Nashville. Think what counts in Calgary's favour at the moment as being one of the most likely to happen by 2019 is that the Spruce Meadow thing appears to provide one of the easiest pathways to a viable stadium.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

^^^Depends how you view Ottawa and Fresno.

Just now, MrSabiondo said:

How many would be shocked if the delays and withholding of information til last minute is a ploy to soften the blow that at least 2 of the teams involved are MLS Canadian B Teams.

Would be good if that happened with affiliates rather than B teams, but I think CFL people in Hamilton just can't stomach the idea of playing against TFC's second string when their fan support of the Ticats revolves around the one-sided rivalry with the Argos that people in Toronto for the most part couldn't care less about.

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Would be good if that happened with affiliates rather than B teams, but I think CFL people in Hamilton just can't stomach the idea of playing against TFC's second string when their fan support of the Ticats revolves around the one-sided rivalry with the Argos that people in Toronto for the most part couldn't care less about.

Yes, affiliates would be much better.  

I would think Ottawa doesnt consider itself to be Montreal B team but you can ask some of the Ottawa fans on here I guess.  And even if Fresno was a Whitecaps B team (which would be hard with only 4-5 whitecaps players there), they wont be coming to join the CPL.

Just now, Bison44 said:

I would think Ottawa doesnt consider itself to be Montreal B team but you can ask some of the Ottawa fans on here I guess.  And even if Fresno was a Whitecaps B team (which would be hard with only 4-5 whitecaps players there), they wont be coming to join the CPL.

True, but Victoria appears to want to build an 8000 seat stadium that would be ideal for a Whitecaps affiliate. It's a way to make teams in smaller markets work.

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

^^^Depends how you view Ottawa and Fresno.

Ticat fans and Argo fans hate each other equally. To say the whole city doesn't care ignores the massive amounts of TV audience that they get nationally and regionally. The Argos problem is getting people to the park. 

22 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

How many would be shocked if the delays and withholding of information til last minute is a ploy to soften the blow that at least 2 of the teams involved are MLS Canadian B Teams.

Yeah I’m sure a year of them saying there won’t be MLS 2 teams means they’re going to accept MLS 2 teams. Like last week when PB said that MLS 2 teams might be able to play in a future CPL second division was all part of the master softening the blow plan that they’re desperate and accepting MLS 2 teams now. After all so much can happen in a week 

Just now, LAK said:

We're seriously back to MLS affiliates talk again?

That appears (from all previous reports of the business plan and what league officials have stated in public) as though that is not ever going to happen.

No the usual handful of naysayers are doing their usual naysaying. 

32 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Yeah I’m sure a year of them saying there won’t be MLS 2 teams means they’re going to accept MLS 2 teams. Like last week when PB said that MLS 2 teams might be able to play in a future CPL second division was all part of the master softening the blow plan that they’re desperate and accepting MLS 2 teams now. After all so much can happen in a week 

It's not as if Beirne said that there will be no MLS 2 teams in CPL as little as one week ago. Jeez. 

If you don't get why they don't want MLS teams in the CPL after today's announcement then I'm not sure you will ever get it.  When you join MLS you get an equity share in Sum.  When you join Cpl I expect you will receive an equity share in CSB.  If CSB is successful in executing its business plan at some point they will be competing against SUM for broadcast rights, sponsors, etc.  Do you really want the VW, TFC and the Impact sharing all your plans with Garber, et. al. back in New York?  

6 minutes ago, Trequartisi said:

If you don't get why they don't want MLS teams in the CPL after today's announcement then I'm not sure you will ever get it.  When you join MLS you get an equity share in Sum.  When you join Cpl I expect you will receive an equity share in CSB.  If CSB is successful in executing its business plan at some point they will be competing against SUM for broadcast rights, sponsors, etc.  Do you really want the VW, TFC and the Impact sharing all your plans with Garber, et. al. back in New York?  

MLS is an American League for American soccer. Anything we get, which we definitely  do benefit from, is a side benefit. CPL is a Canadian league for Canadian soccer. Both MLS and SUM and CPL and CSB can co-exist and thrive at the same time in my opinion 

Geez.  Talk about getting your panties in a bunch.

I wasn't stating this as fact it was a question on how shocked you would be if something crazy like that happened.  

On a side note though I think an affiliate would work if there exists a lack of buy in.  It would help pad the numbers.  

10 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

I wasn't stating this as fact it was a question on how shocked you would be if something crazy like that happened.  

On a side note though I think an affiliate would work if there exists a lack of buy in.  It would help pad the numbers.  

What do you consider a “lack of buy in?” 

24 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

No panties in a bunch here. Just using facts along with sarcasm  to shoot down your premise 

I'm by know means saying Canadian Soccer shouldn't be doing this.  But it's not a guaranteed money maker (as a number of people have pointed out).  As a related example, USA Rugby set up something similar to SUM in the US, and it's having major financial difficulties. http://www.rugbytoday.com/elite/congress-gravely-concerned-about-rim-42-million-losses-trc

I guess the thing is that the article discusses what the CSB but leaves out major details.  Will the CPL owners own it, the way MLS owners own a share of SUM?  If it's set up to fund both the CPL and the National programs, inevitably there's going to be some infighting over the allocation of resources.  Will the CSB be able to get more home games for the men's team?  Will funds that the CSA normally allocated to the national programs go towards propping up some weaker CPL clubs?

The idea is fine, but we'll have to wait and see how the execution of it is.