Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

In my experience, somehow the English are by far the best at detecting the Canadian accent. I’ve had my accent called out multiple times travelling and I definitely don’t have a thick yeah bud going out for a rip there, eh accent either

Was boating in Mallorca a few years ago, a big yacht pulls next to us with this British family on it, and the dad calls out like “oi you all Canadian? I could tell the accent, my daughter loves Canadian television! We watch it on Netflix!”

Still to this day I’ve racked my brain trying to figure out what they could possibly be talking about. Didn’t strike me as the trailer park boys fan type. 

Is there really only one Canadian accent or are there many accents? You're from the Montreal area if I remember correctly. I'll bet my dollars to your donuts we have different accents. And I'm from the same city as you. I was born and went to school here.

I have a nephew who was born and grew up in Toronto, he has a slightly different accent from myself and my kids. Listen to Fonzie. He still retains his African accent when he speaks Canadian. Also, I hear Canadian hockey players from out West and they don't sound like the people I hang around with. The difference isn't major but I can pick it up.

37 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Is there really only one Canadian accent or are there many accents? You're from the Montreal area if I remember correctly. I'll bet my dollars to your donuts we have different accents. And I'm from the same city as you. I was born and went to school here.

I have a nephew who was born and grew up in Toronto, he has a slightly different accent from myself and my kids. Listen to Fonzie. He still retains his African accent when he speaks Canadian. Also, I hear Canadian hockey players from out West and they don't sound like the people I hang around with. The difference isn't major but I can pick it up.

There definitely isn’t a common national accent for pretty much any country, but there is definitely a stereotypical Canadian accent that a lot of people associate to the typical Canadian. I am from Montreal, yes, and I never I had any aspect of that aspect until I started getting called on it. There are regional varieties, different cities have different accents- the Toronto mans accent, Montreal Vs. Rest of Quebec, etc., and different groups of people have their particular accent- Italian montrealers (I think you may have mentioned you are Italian?) speak in a very distinct way, North African montrealers, so on.

Funny you mention western Canadian hockey players speaking in a different way- there have actually been studies on how hockey players actually adopt a common accent that is more or less an exaggerated stereotypical Canadian accent whether they are Canadian or American regardless of which state or province. With the advent of TikTok and social media, it only gets more widespread, and from what I understand, it results in the players most likely to have a “Canadian accent”, so guys out west, to even double down on it: https://linguistics.uga.edu/news/stories/2019/pass-puck-eh-sc-stingray-study-suggests-hockey-players-adopt-canadian-accent

40 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Sure there are subtle differences but it’s broadly the same accent with the east coast an exception.  In the UK, you have very different accents (eg. Geordie, Scottish, Scouser, Cockney, etc.) and then like Canada, much subtler ones (eg. South London).

14 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I am/was very nervous about my spoken French, full stop, but even more so after it being called out as Quebecois when I did bits of a presentation in French when I was in England. 

I lived in Senegal in the mid-90s. If ever I spoke in English, they assumed I was American. But three words in French, which I learned over a few summers in Quebec, and it was “so, you from Montreal?”. 

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Bobby sounds like he should be coaching a junior hockey team up in Timmins. 

I don't know. To me he sounds like he lives in the suburbs of Toronto and likes to go clubbing on weekends in downtown Toronto 

13 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Montreal Vs. Rest of Quebec, etc., and different groups of people have their particular accent- Italian montrealers (I think you may have mentioned you are Italian?) 

A couple of examples "I lost my guichet card" or "My father works for the ville"😁😆

16 hours ago, An Observer said:

Sure there are subtle differences but it’s broadly the same accent with the east coast an exception.  In the UK, you have very different accents (eg. Geordie, Scottish, Scouser, Cockney, etc.) and then like Canada, much subtler ones (eg. South London).

I listened hard when I got back and I would disagree on that first part.  There are people a lot in cities who have a broad North American accent - true.

But my sister who has lived her whole life in rural Alberta has differences in her accent from my sister who has been in Victoria for 20 years. There is a prairie rural accent generally, I think.

I lived in Toronto for a very little bit and can pick up different accents in words like "car" from people mainly from other parts of Ontario.

There is a Native accent that seeps in to non-Native speakers as well. I lived beside a couple Reserves in Canada.

30 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I listened hard when I got back and I would disagree on that first part.  There are people a lot in cities who have a broad North American accent - true.

But my sister who has lived her whole life in rural Alberta has differences in her accent from my sister who has been in Victoria for 20 years. There is a prairie rural accent generally, I think.

"Oh yah, for sure, eh?"

I'm with you on this topic. I drove across Canada in 96 during the Olympics, Vancouver to Cape Breton and back. Huge variety in accents and also slang/vocabulary. But probably somewhat diminished nowadays over the shared reference points of the digital age.

Way back when, I pulled off for gas just north east of Halifax, and I swear to you I had no idea what the gas attendant said, not a songle word. He saw my BC plate and then switched to "Standard Canadian English" and we were fine from there. 😄 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I lived in Toronto for a very little bit and can pick up different accents in words like "car" from people mainly from other parts of Ontario.

There is a Native accent that seeps in to non-Native speakers as well. I lived beside a couple Reserves in Canada.

Darryl Sutter deserves the Prairie rural crown. 

My personal favourite is the Ukrainian-Canadian farmer variant (former AB Premier Ed Stelmach). Alas it is disappearing and exists only in pockets outside Edmonton and in parts of rural Sask. 

3 hours ago, EricC said:

My parents grew up in Montreal and they used to say "do some messages" meaning errands. I looked it up and it really is a thing - https://www.waywordradio.org/messages-errands/.

Eric you just proved my point. I've lived in Mtl most of my life and I never heard that from anyone. But then again I spent most of my adult life mainy with Italian, Irish, French, and Jewish Canadians. There isn't just one Canadian accent.

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Your mention of "Native" reminded me of the First Nations in and around Montreal. The minute they open their mouths I can tell they are First Nations. The English speaking ones anyway. They sound like they all went to the Chief Dan George  or Graham Greene School of English.

14 hours ago, lowlander said:

I lived in Senegal in the mid-90s. If ever I spoke in English, they assumed I was American. But three words in French, which I learned over a few summers in Quebec, and it was “so, you from Montreal?”. 

I thought it was two:  le playboy

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

I wasn’t sure where to post this, nor am I sure he is a dual nat, but here you go! Athletico Ottawa posted congratulating him as well:

My Spanish isn’t great but my understanding is that Atletico Ottawa has found a kid (this one) whom they think is good enough to play with the parent academy.

He is probably Haitian, but definitely Canadian.

Edited by Dominic94

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

My Spanish isn’t great but my understanding is that Atletico Ottawa has found a kid (this one) whom they think is good enough to play with the parent academy.

He is probably Haitian, but definitely Canadian.

His mother's accent sounded African. i could be wrong

On 4/6/2024 at 9:11 AM, Sal333 said:

Back in '97, my brother got married in Sweden. My family, including a few cousins traveled over for the wedding. After the wedding, four of my cousins and I did a bit of travelling around before heading home. We met up with one of my best mates, who'd been backpacking around Europe all summer with a girl he'd gone to BCIT with. So, we're out getting drunk in Prague and meet a couple from LA, who decide to hang out with us as we go bar-hopping through the Old Town. When introducing ourselves, we all just said we were from Vancouver. Later in the night, the girl from LA just randomly says, "you all talk the same, except for you two," gesturing towards one of my cousins and the girl who'd been backpacking with my mate. Without knowing anything other than "we're all from Vancouver," she managed to single out the two people from our group who were actually from Nanaimo, rather than North Burnaby.