Michael Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

4 hours ago, jordan said:

Also selected by San Jose 

Not surprised an MLS team would take a flyer on him.

He has things to work on, but I have always believed it is too early for him to drop down a level. He just needs to find a chance elsewhere in the league, and it looks like he's done that. If he's a bust at San Jose then I start entertaining CPL prospects for Baldisimo. 

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

Nor Chung or Daniels. Their recruitment is a joke.

Is it, or do they just have better prospects in mind? The Filipino diaspora is quite large and extends beyond North America. I count at least 7 players in their pool born in Germany, include a current Bundesliga player, a former Hoffenheim and Eintracht Frankfurt player, and a former Bayern Munich player.

54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not surprised an MLS team would take a flyer on him.

He has things to work on, but I have always believed it is too early for him to drop down a level. He just needs to find a chance elsewhere in the league, and it looks like he's done that. If he's a bust at San Jose then I start entertaining CPL prospects for Baldisimo. 

Is it, or do they just have better prospects in mind? The Filipino diaspora is quite large and extends beyond North America. I count at least 7 players in their pool born in Germany, include a current Bundesliga player, a former Hoffenheim and Eintracht Frankfurt player, and a former Bayern Munich player.

They definitely have some ballers but they have no real depth. It quickly goes into guys playing in the local league which unfortunately has a slew of problems and in recent years has stopped and started. Another issue is even having the guys playing top level is hit or miss as many don't come to all the camps.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Out of curiosity what's his natural position? Transfermarket has him as a DM and CB. At 1.69m he seems short for a CB. 

For those who watch Vancouver, where does he play? 

He plays as an 6/8. Good at spraying long balls to the wings from deep positions, but he goes to ground and gets beat on the dribble way too much. The effort level is there, but his size was a problem on an already undersize roster. If he’s paired with a big, defensively responsible DM he can definitely contribute offensively. Probably needs to be in a trio to cover for his defensive shortcomings. 

6 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Wasn't he rumoured to join his bro on the Filipino NT? So technically he ain't a Canuck.

He's one until he isn't. Also if you're using "technically" that means he'll always be Canadian as "technically" he'll have his Canadian citizenship.

I think though he ends up with Philippines though, especially if he isn't able to get back to his level from 2020. 

26 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Wasn't he rumoured to join his bro on the Filipino NT? So technically he ain't a Canuck.

I think it would be the same situation as we had with Stefan Mitrovic. If Baldissimo is good enough for Canada he has no reason to commit to the Philippines, and I think the disparity between the two teams is worth him delaying that commitment until he’s firmly out of Canada’s plans. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Looks like that's not going to be the case, fortunately.

...but even after that has been clarified some people are determined to relentlessly push their Nationalist narrative regardless. A quick google search:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Baldisimo

and was he in the Whitecaps Academy at age 16 check, and did he sign his first pro contract with the Whitecaps check. Losing Vancouver Whitecaps 2 subsequent to that was bad from the homegrown player rule standpoint but it's good Next Pro came along and solved that. Hopefully the Impact will get on board with Next Pro soon to further boost the number of Canadians that can play domestically throughout MLS. Not sure their PLSQ team works for that.

Imagine knowing MLS rules are discriminatory against Canadians and then totally ignoring that.

Also if you hate nationalism as much as you claim why do you even follow soccer at the national team level? Shouldn't you stick to the club game?

I guess you have run out of things to be negative about at the CPL sub forum that you needed to come here for some attention 

He has some really good passing skills but has to show durability.  He might be a best fit as one of the 2 holding mids in a 4-2-3-1 if the new SJE gaffer goes with that.  I hope he does well there:  sometimes just getting away from the home town is all a guy needs.  As already mentioned, it's a worthwhile flyer for the Quakes to take:  an underpromise/overdeliver move.

There was never any doubt that Baldisimo was a domestic in MLS terms. MLS changed the rules so that anyone following the Academy -> MLS USL/Next Pro reserve team -> MLS roster pathway would be able to sign as a domestic player across the league for the duration of their career.

Not what ideally would be in place but a lot better than what was happening prior to that. This rule change has removed the ability for many younger Canadian players to use this issue as a crutch for why an MLS contract wasn't obtained rather than facing the unpalatable truth that they ultimately weren't good enough. Anyone who has every played or coached the game will know how few players you run into who will ever acknowledge that last bit applies to them even when it should be obvious.

The extra 7 roster slots for imports on MLS Next Pro teams that have no salary restrictions should help more players like Mo Farsi who didn't follow the favoured career trajectory hang around long enough to play their way onto the main roster even when an American team is involved. After that the ease with which players can obtain green cards in an American context helps open the door to permanent league-wide domestic status.