Michael Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I didn't know the Superlig was particularly tougher for young players.  I agree I'd prefer Ajax or Porto who excel at developing and flipping.  However, I figure with Larin and Hutch around it'll be a lot easier to acclimate.  I see a loan as a temporary and good experience. 

I think we’re all a bit worried about it because of Latin’s struggles/lack of playing time early. He had to actually go out on loan to get some playing time at a lower level before being trusted at Besiktas. And he had Hutch to lean on of course as well.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

I didn't know the Superlig was particularly tougher for young players.

It’s a mixed bag. The Besiktas goalie is only 20 (18 month younger than our own Hasal) and he has won the starting role on a team at the top of the table. On the other hand they have a young Bosnian winger who has looked good the couple of times I’ve seen him but rarely seem to get on the pitch.

I would think if Wolves wanted to send out Corbeanu on loan they would demand some guarantee of playing time. That might be more likely from a lower division English team compared to a title contender in Turkey.

I’m not sure how much flexibility Besiktas will have in bringing in signing foreign players this summer. This year the league allowed for 14 players per team and Besiktas had two extra on the payroll. Next year the limit is supposed to drop to 12. There was a change in January allowing for 16 players during the second half of the season but I haven’t seen anything that indicates the 12 player limit for next year has been revised. I think Laryea would be a good fit for them but there may not be much room for any other Canadians, particularly younger ones that have not yet established themselves, given that they may have to purge some other foreigners.

Maybe I am not giving him the credit he is due, but I would pump the brakes a bit.  This is a guy who just debuted for the Caps last August.  The kid has got some game, for sure, but I haven’t seen anything that makes me think he is ready for a major step up to another level at this time.  He just had a decent but not spectacular OQ campaign.  Much like a lot of our other young guns, I think he needs to light it up in MLS before we start thinking of higher level destinations where he might land.  

Maybe I am underestimating him but I don’t think he gets near the first team of a Besiktas-level club, or a Championship team.  Better IMO to stay in Van and spend the season proving that you are ready to make an immediate impact at that next tier on the footy hierarchy.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

He was listed as day-to-day with an ankle injury picked up in training last week on the pre-match report. That he's on the bench is actually a positive.

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Being slightly injured. Didn't train on Wednesday. He might see the final 20 but they didn't want to risk him for a full match.

8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

He was listed as day-to-day with an ankle injury picked up in training last week on the pre-match report. That he's on the bench is actually a positive.

I rescind my above comment.

@Dominic94 Just a bit more information.  He had a mild ankle sprain on Tuesday and didn’t practice on Wednesday.  He was initially listed as doubtful for the game and upgraded to day to day yesterday.

Most are surprised he made the game day bench and I doubt they’re going to risk him playing today.  It’s best to let him sit a week and make sure he doesn’t aggravate the injury.

19 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

@Dominic94 Just a bit more information.  He had a mild ankle sprain on Tuesday and didn’t practice on Wednesday.  He was initially listed as doubtful for the game and upgraded to day to day yesterday.

Most are surprised he made the game day bench and I doubt they’re going to risk him playing today.  It’s best to let him sit a week and make sure he doesn’t aggravate the injury.

Fair enough, in the past MDS hadn’t played him so I grew concerned. The injury makes sense as to why he didn’t start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question for y'all, I regularly see that Michael and Matthew are mentioned as two of three brothers, the third being Mark Baldisimo. However I also see conflicting reports on whether Mark is the oldest or the youngest.

The only Mark Baldisimo I can find is one born in 1995 that ended up not really going pro. Is this him?

31 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Question for y'all, I regularly see that Michael and Matthew are mentioned as two of three brothers, the third being Mark Baldisimo. However I also see conflicting reports on whether Mark is the oldest or the youngest.

The only Mark Baldisimo I can find is one born in 1995 that ended up not really going pro. Is this him?

A 1995 born: https://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/eliteteams/residency/mark-baldisimo

I really wouldn't mind if he moved to a higher level right now, even if he didn't get any minutes. It's more promising than sitting behind Teibert and Alexandre (who hot take, has been mediocre at best). I've never seen such a clear case of someone who so obviously fits into your lineup not getting starts. Every game, we see this team be completely incapable of moving the ball forward, and they'll only bring Baldi on when they're well and out of it.

He wouldn't fix everything by himself, but they've got nothing else going for them from deep. For me, this situation is way worse than TFC, where 'playing the kids' is more of a long-term thing, and less something that would immediately improve the team. This... is just ridiculous.

And no, I don't buy that he's injured, but can routinely come off the bench for 30-40 minutes when the Caps are down by 3.

5 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I really wouldn't mind if he moved to a higher level right now, even if he didn't get any minutes. It's more promising than sitting behind Teibert and Alexandre (who hot take, has been mediocre at best). I've never seen such a clear case of someone who so obviously fits into your lineup not getting starts. Every game, we see this team be completely incapable of moving the ball forward, and they'll only bring Baldi on when they're well and out of it.

He wouldn't fix everything by himself, but they've got nothing else going for them from deep. For me, this situation is way worse than TFC, where 'playing the kids' is more of a long-term thing, and less something that would immediately improve the team. This... is just ridiculous.

And no, I don't buy that he's injured, but can routinely come off the bench for 30-40 minutes when the Caps are down by 3.

MDS doesn’t like him or trust, he hasn’t done anything to deserve a bench role. This isn’t an injury thing, this is poor player selection.