Michael Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

50 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There was never any doubt that Baldisimo was a domestic in MLS terms. MLS changed the rules so that anyone following the Academy -> MLS USL/Next Pro reserve team -> MLS roster pathway would be able to sign as a domestic player across the league for the duration of their career.

Not what ideally would be in place but a lot better than what was happening prior to that. This rule change has removed the ability for many younger Canadian players to use this issue as a crutch for why an MLS contract wasn't obtained rather than facing the unpalatable truth that they ultimately weren't good enough. Anyone who has every played or coached the game will know how few players you run into who will ever acknowledge that last bit applies to them even when it should be obvious.

The extra 7 roster slots for imports on MLS Next Pro teams that have no salary restrictions should help more players like Mo Farsi who didn't follow the favoured career trajectory hang around long enough to play their way onto the main roster even when an American team is involved. After that the ease with which players can obtain green cards in an American context helps open the door to permanent league-wide domestic status.

Bootlicker mentality 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
11 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's very surprising. He didn't play much, but he is also young.

Young homegrown (I believe?) and basically on the league minimum, so virtually risk free. Could be waived at any point in the future. Hopefully he’s shown enough to the coaching staff that he’s worth keeping around. 

He has the passing range but needs to develop another skillset or two to be a serviceable MLS player. Nonetheless, I’m always happy to see fringe Canadians make the cut on US MLS teams. 

Edited by FC_Hali

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, jordan said:

Called into camp according to this. Though I feel something similar was reported last year and he didn’t end up going.

https://manilastandard.net/sports/314279352/may-listahan-na-players-invited-to-national-training-pool-named.html

The fact they haven't called in Chung, Daniels, Metcalfe and didn't cap Matthew is still wild to me. They all would improve the team a lot in SEA

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

The fact they haven't called in Chung, Daniels, Metcalfe and didn't cap Matthew is still wild to me. They all would improve the team a lot in SEA

The answer to this is the same answer as to why we haven’t called Jebbison, Sigur, Mitrovic etc.We should know this better than anyone. This means they don’t want to play for them (yet). 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've probably said it here before, but if the Baldisimo brothers somehow merged into one player they could be quite an effective midfielder. Matthew is a crunching tackler and great ball winner but he lacks any creativity on the ball. Michael has great passing range and he can unlock a defense, but from the matches I've seen he is weak defensively and loses way to many physical battles. Maybe the Philipines have figured it out and playing them alongside eachother is the answer. Anyways, best of luck

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

How the hell did we leave Baldisimo off the squad again??? 

Just kidding. Happy he'll get a chance at international footy. Rep us well in the AFC, Michael!

I am happy for both brothers here.  I suspect a couple more will follow.

• 2 weeks later...