Michael Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

VANCOUVER, BC – Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Thursday that the club has signed Residency defender/midfielder Michael Baldisimo to a professional contract with Whitecaps FC 2 (WFC2) in the United Soccer League (USL), pending league and federation approval.

“I’ve worked with Michael since he was 11-years-old,” said WFC2 head coach Rich Fagan. “I’m proud of him and excited that he’s reached this stage of his career. He’s a promising and versatile player who has a bright future ahead of him. We look forward to helping him continue to develop and progress.”

WFC2 defender/midfielder Michael Baldisimo
  • Native of Burnaby, BC
  • Joined Whitecaps FC Residency as an 11-year-old in 2011
  • Started 2016 Development Academy championship final with U-18 team
  • Member of Canada’s U-17 men’s national team

Baldisimo, 16, recently spent preseason with the first team in Portland, making one appearance off the bench in a 1-1 draw against Real Salt Lake in the Timbers preseason tournament. As an academy call-up with WFC2 last season, Baldisimo made his professional debut in the USL on August 3, 2016, coming on as a late substitute on the road at Arizona United SC (now Phoenix Rising FC).

“I’ve been dreaming of this all of my life,” added Baldisimo. “It’s going to be fun playing professionally with my brother Matthew. It was a great experience to be with the first team in preseason, to see what the level is like and see how guys carry themselves on and off the field. I can’t wait to get the USL season underway.”

The native of Burnaby, BC is the third youngest of four brothers with his elder siblings Mark and Matthew having also been a part of the Whitecaps FC Residency program. Michael now joins his brother Matthew on WFC2.

After joining the Residency program as an 11-year-old in 2011, Baldisimo began playing with the U-13 Pre-Residency team. In the 2014-15 season, he moved to the U-16 Residency team, ending the year by scoring a goal in the Development Academy quarterfinals. For the past two seasons, Baldisimo has moved between the U-16 and U-18 Residency teams, including starting at right back for the U-18s in the 2016 Development Academy championship final.

So far this development academy season, the 5-foot-6 defender/midfielder has started six matches and scored two goals with the U-16 Residency team, as well as starting 10 of 11 appearances with the U-18 Residency squad.

On the international level, Baldisimo has recently been a member of Canada’s U-17 men’s national team, while also previously being called in to U-16 and U-15 national team camps.

In his youth, the local product played for Wesburn Youth Soccer Club, South Burnaby Metro Club, Mountain United FC, and Burnaby Selects.

Michael Baldisimo
Position: Defender/Midfielder
Height: 5-06
Weight: 155-pounds
Date of Birth: April 13, 2000 in Vancouver, BC
Hometown: Burnaby, BC
Citizenship: Canada
Last Club: Whitecaps FC Residency (2011 – Present)
Youth Club: Burnaby Selects

• 1 year later...
Michael Baldisimo
Bob Frid

Whitecaps FC sign Residency midfielder Michael Baldisimo to MLS Homegrown contract

July 17, 201810:00AM PDT

VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Tuesday that the club has signed Residency midfielder Michael Baldisimo to a multi-year MLS Homegrown contract.

Baldisimo will be available for selection for the Canadian Championship beginning on Wednesday, July 18 when the ‘Caps visit Montreal Impact for the first leg of their semifinal series – Kickoff: 4:30 p.m. PT, Radio: TSN 1040, Online: CanadaSoccer.com.

“Michael does everything you want as a young midfield player, plus he can even play at right back. Ability wise, he’s got it all and we are looking forward to working with him as he continues to develop both on and off the pitch,” said head coach Carl Robinson. “Whether you play under-17, under-19, or the first team, it doesn’t faze him. When he gets his chance, he’ll be able to take it.”

With Baldisimo, Simon Colyn, Sean Melvin, and David Norman Jr., as well as Theo Bair signing a pre-contract, Whitecaps FC now have inked five players from the club’s development system to MLS Homegrown contracts in the past eight months. Bair, Baldisimo, and Colyn, plus fellow Homegrown player Alphonso Davies, give the ‘Caps four teenagers on their first-team roster.

“Joining the first team is amazing. Being a Homegrown player, knowing the club is willing to invest in me, it feels really rewarding,” said Baldisimo. “I just want to work hard, try and make my first-team debut, play some games, and continue to develop.”

WFC midfielder Michael Baldisimo

• One of five players from the club’s development system signed to MLS Homegrown contracts in the past eight months
  • Made professional debut in 2016 with Whitecaps FC 2 in USL
  • 13 goals in 82 starts and 88 appearances for WFC Residency U-16, U-18, and U-19
  • Represented Canada at the 2017 CONCACAF Men’s U-17 Championship

Baldisimo, 18, joins the first team after helping lead the WFC Residency U-19 team to a semifinal finish in the Academy Championship this month, scoring four goals in 27 appearances in the 2017-18 season. He has also previously spent time with the first team, participating in their preseason camp in 2016 and training sessions over the last two plus seasons.

The midfielder made his professional debut as an Academy call-up with Whitecaps FC 2 in 2016, before signing a contract with the former United Soccer League (USL) side in 2017, totaling six starts and 13 league appearances.

After joining the club’s Residency program at age 11, Baldisimo began competing with the U-13 Pre-Residency team, then moved up to the Residency U-16 and U-18 teams. He helped WFC Residency U-18 to a runner-up finish in 2016, and the U-16 side to fourth place in the 73-team Development Academy the following year.

In total, Baldisimo scored 13 goals in 82 starts and 88 appearances, including playoffs, for the WFC Residency U-16, U-18, and U-19 teams in three seasons of DA competition.

At the international level, the Burnaby, BC native represented Canada at the 2017 CONCACAF Men’s U-17 Championship and was called up to the national U-21 team for the Festival International Espoirs Provence in France last May. He made his debut in the Canadian youth program in 2014 at age 14.

Michael is one of three Baldisimo brothers to develop within the WFC Residency program, along with elder brother Mark and middle brother Matthew who is playing with Vancouver’s USL affiliate Fresno FC. In his youth, Michael played for Wesburn Youth Soccer Club, South Burnaby Metro Club, Mountain United FC, and Burnaby Selects.

Michael Baldisimo
Pronunciation: bal-DEE-si-mo
Position: Midfielder
Height: 5-06
Weight: 150
Date of Birth: April 13, 2000 in Burnaby, BC
Hometown: Burnaby, BC
Citizenship: Canada
Last Club: Whitecaps FC Residency U-19 (Development Academy ‘18)
Transaction: Signed to MLS Homegrown contract on July 17, 2018
Instagram: @michaelbaldisimo

• 3 months later...

This kid needs to be getting playing time next season, the same goes for Colyn. Too many times the Whitecaps have failed to give young players a chance, only to release them/loan them, and then see such player have success in a different, sometimes more competitive league.

14 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

This kid needs to be getting playing time next season, the same goes for Colyn. Too many times the Whitecaps have failed to give young players a chance, only to release them/loan them, and then see such player have success in a different, sometimes more competitive league.

Who?

I watched most of the whitecaps games this year for Davies, if they start playing more kids I'll try to do it again next season. If they don't, at least I don't have to torture myself by watching them again ;)

If only tfc would start playing academy players. Delgado sucked 90% of the time yet Fraser couldn't get a start over him. 

Couldn't be a better time with Kamara off and Blondell and hurtado next to useless. Think they will bring in a decent DP forward but it's a good time to test bair and Colyn. 

Midfield is in a similar situation so Norman jnr/baldisimo and maybe verhoeven (who seems to still be attached to the whitecaps) might get a shot. 

5 hours ago, Bdog said:

I watched most of the whitecaps games this year for Davies, if they start playing more kids I'll try to do it again next season. If they don't, at least I don't have to torture myself by watching them again ;)

If only tfc would start playing academy players. Delgado sucked 90% of the time yet Fraser couldn't get a start over him. 

Fraser and Delgado play in different positions... Fraser is competing with Bradley for minutes

7 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Really curious to see what MDS does with the talented kids on the whitecaps roster. They’re going to be a really intriguing team

I am also excited but I get the impression that most of these young guys are still not ready for MLS, at least not as regular starters. But I do want to see MDS integrating guys like Baldisimo into the main squad, and then blooding them at the right moments.